how to store turkey necks

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 18th, 2008, 12:18 pm

slight dilemma...

I got a 30lb case of turkey necks yesterday and I haven't quite figured out exactly what to do with them. I have no problem cutting up the chicken quarters, but these are a lot bigger and harder to cut in half to store in bags in the freezer. If I put the whole case back in the freezer, they're going to freeze back together in one big clump. They're too big to fit in baggies without being cut in half, so that's why they need to be cut.

For those of you that have bought or buy turkey necks - what do you do with them? Is there something that cuts through them easier than a big butcher knife? Or bags that store them? I've got gallon ziplocks, but they don't fit.

Thanks!
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 18th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Get 2 gallon ziplocks. I found them at Family Dollar.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 18th, 2008, 12:21 pm

I didn't know they came any bigger than the gallon size. I'll have to look for them.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby BullyLady » May 18th, 2008, 12:52 pm

I don't feed turkey necks, but I have a friend who has three GDs and feeds raw and uses turkey neck as her bone. She went to walmart and got rubbermaid "shoeboxes" for $.97 each, and she can fit three turkey necks into a shoebox. Then she washes them out after she uses all the necks in a box and puts them into her "raw container" cabinet to be reused next time she packages something. Not only does she say it's really convenient BUT she's not constantly buying ziplocks AND it's more earth friendly because she's reusing so much. I'm thinking about giving it a try.... :)
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 18th, 2008, 1:01 pm

if I only had a couple that would work, but I've got about 70+ right now that have to got be packaged up and stored.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » May 18th, 2008, 1:07 pm

For things like that (inc. chicken feet), I have some freezer (waxy) paper that I wrap around the bundles since the DO freeze back togeher. You can save bags by doing this - I feel so bad about the number of zip lock bags that I waste every day feeding raw! Prewrap the bundles in the freezer paper - dunno how plain wax paper compares) and chuck together in a gallon zip lock and take out what you need.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » May 18th, 2008, 1:10 pm

I am also currently looking for a CLEAVER :twisted: an hope to find one soon!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » May 18th, 2008, 1:25 pm

I would think that they wouldnt be too difficult to cut with a knife... but you never know.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 18th, 2008, 10:53 pm

I just hacked them up with a big santoku knife...it was annoying, but they fit in baggies if they're cut in half.

plus, Layla will only get half at a time, so they would have had to be cut at one point or another. :|
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby gayrghts » May 18th, 2008, 11:37 pm

the turkey necks i got fit into gallon bags....

i put 3 or 4 in a zip bag

then would take them out, run them under a tad bit of warm water to separate them, and dispurse them....

Triscuit would never get a turkey neck.... she only gets 4 oz of food a day, so she gets chicken necks.... or half a back...

a cleaver is handy, but you also need a sharp knife to cut thru stuff....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby amazincc » May 18th, 2008, 11:39 pm

A good cleaver is ten bucks at Wal-Mart. Awesome find on the necks - I have to buy them in packages of two. :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 18th, 2008, 11:40 pm

the ones I have are too long to fit in the bag, I'd say they're a good 12-14" long.

cleavers at walmart? seriously?!?! I'm gettin' me one of them! That would make things sooo much easier next time. Chopping them in half was a royal pain in the arse.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » May 18th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Seriously... that's where I got mine. And when you chop through them while they're still frozen it's a piece of cake. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 18th, 2008, 11:54 pm

oh man, I'm grabbing one next time I'm there. this was absolutely NOT a piece of cake.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » May 18th, 2008, 11:58 pm

I chop them in the kitchen sink, w/my left hand firmly planted behind my back. Those cleavers are dangerous if not used correctly. And I'm a tad of a klutz. :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » May 19th, 2008, 12:09 am

amazincc wrote:I chop them in the kitchen sink, w/my left hand firmly planted behind my back. Those cleavers are dangerous if not used correctly. And I'm a tad of a klutz. :shock:

:shock: Good idea about the one hand behind your back!!
klutz + cleaver = nothing good
:lol:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby gayrghts » May 19th, 2008, 4:01 am

hmmmmm were they giraffe turkey's?

mine were pretty long too, but they kindof folded on each other...

LaylaWoobie wrote:the ones I have are too long to fit in the bag, I'd say they're a good 12-14" long.

cleavers at walmart? seriously?!?! I'm gettin' me one of them! That would make things sooo much easier next time. Chopping them in half was a royal pain in the arse.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby LMM » May 19th, 2008, 7:52 am

I have this fillet knife that slices through most things like butter. I will be getting those turkey necks on the next go round and now I will be prepared to be chopping and slicing lol
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 19th, 2008, 8:35 am

gayrghts wrote:hmmmmm were they giraffe turkey's?

mine were pretty long too, but they kindof folded on each other...

LaylaWoobie wrote:the ones I have are too long to fit in the bag, I'd say they're a good 12-14" long.

mine had a bone in them...you know, like a neck.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby KJS » May 19th, 2008, 10:29 am

2 men in the room here..one says machete...the other suggests chainsaw :rolleyes2:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Raw Feeding