Ack, Inflation!!

Postby BullyLady » September 1st, 2008, 11:04 pm

10 lb bags of chicken quarters went from 5.38 to 6.27 at Walmart..... :nono: :cuss:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby SisMorphine » September 1st, 2008, 11:08 pm

Lucky. That's what I spend for 6 quarters at the Stupidmarket. We don't have any of them fancy WalMarts around here . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby BullyLady » September 1st, 2008, 11:13 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Lucky. That's what I spend for 6 quarters at the Stupidmarket. We don't have any of them fancy WalMarts around here . . .

Holy mackerel, that's like a buck a pound! I can get beef and pork for cheaper than that at my local Safeway.... I assume you've tried distributors? And that you watch sales and bulk up when stuff goes on sale? Jeez, if chicken was a buck a pound I couldn't afford to feed raw.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby SisMorphine » September 1st, 2008, 11:22 pm

BullyLady wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:Lucky. That's what I spend for 6 quarters at the Stupidmarket. We don't have any of them fancy WalMarts around here . . .

Holy mackerel, that's like a buck a pound! I can get beef and pork for cheaper than that at my local Safeway.... I assume you've tried distributors? And that you watch sales and bulk up when stuff goes on sale? Jeez, if chicken was a buck a pound I couldn't afford to feed raw.

About once a month the quarters go to 79 cents and I stock up. But unfortunately I don't have a freezer, and only can use two small freezer drawers in the shared fridge I have, so I can't buy too much in bulk. I currently have my eyes open for a deep freeze for cheap on CL.

Beef and Pork, when I'm lucky, I can get for less than $2 a pound . . . but that is very rare. Luckily one of my good friends will soon be a raw food distributor so I'll be getting stuff through her. But she'd better start soon 'cause I'm on my last bit of raw damnit!!!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby BullyLady » September 1st, 2008, 11:26 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Beef and Pork, when I'm lucky, I can get for less than $2 a pound . . . but that is very rare. Luckily one of my good friends will soon be a raw food distributor so I'll be getting stuff through her. But she'd better start soon 'cause I'm on my last bit of raw damnit!!!!!!

Is there any reason you need a deep freeze in particular? I use a regular freezer, which I got for free on Craigslist. I :heartbeat: my freeeeeeeeezer (emphasis on the free :lol:).
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby SisMorphine » September 1st, 2008, 11:38 pm

BullyLady wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:Beef and Pork, when I'm lucky, I can get for less than $2 a pound . . . but that is very rare. Luckily one of my good friends will soon be a raw food distributor so I'll be getting stuff through her. But she'd better start soon 'cause I'm on my last bit of raw damnit!!!!!!

Is there any reason you need a deep freeze in particular? I use a regular freezer, which I got for free on Craigslist. I :heartbeat: my freeeeeeeeezer (emphasis on the free :lol:).

Or regular freezer. I call any of the freezer only thingies deep freezes.
SisMorphine

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2008, 12:49 am

I noticed they went up to &6.28 at the Super Walmart, but 2 miles away at the Walmart grocery they are still $4.70. SO far. That's ridiculous, I notice they often have different prices on things but usually not THAT much of a difference.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » September 2nd, 2008, 9:02 am

I have emails into two ads on CL, one for a free freezer that's a little small, one for a freezer for $50, both stand up. Yay!! Hopefully they'll get back to me ASAP. Then I'll just need to make sure said friend actually makes an order soon. Do you hear me, SAID FRIEND?! Order soon. Thanks ;)
SisMorphine

Postby nicole » September 2nd, 2008, 9:31 pm

Good luck with those ads! i wish i had room for an extra freezer. I've been buying things every 2 weeks and storing it in my side by side...along with our food.

we don't have any Walmarts around here that sell food. The lowest i can get quarters for is .59/lb on sale. Beef is rarely under $1.99...I have to watch for sales with pork and turkey...they usually range from $1 - $1.50.

Do most of you get your food from co-ops? There aren't any local to me...the nearest one is in nyc and its not fully functional. :(
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2008, 11:23 pm

Not usually. I have bought some through out Yahoo list but Munkee started having problems on emu so I havent bought any more lately. With gas prices they way they are I have just been shopping locally. DFW is SO big & the meet ups arent always close to me. Are there any ethnic stores near you? I get the best deals from Mexican grocers & butcher shops. Asian stores usually have good prices also
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby nicole » September 3rd, 2008, 2:25 pm

LOL, I love scoping the ethnic stores, thats where i do the bulk of my shopping. I go to the hispanic shops for most of my meats and the Asian markets for fish. I do my own food shopping at an Italian butcher, and occassionally can catch a good deal there too (like rabbit)...but its pricey.

checking out the circulars has become sort of an obsession of mine these days. I need a life.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » September 3rd, 2008, 2:29 pm

I buy through a coop and I love it. Last time I was at Walmart though, the leg quarters were still 4 something. I don't use them but sparingly. I get cases of chicken backs for $14.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to Raw Feeding