Premium Grade Dry Food vs. RAW Diet ???

Postby javjersey » April 23rd, 2009, 11:04 am

Alright, hi and thank you for reading this because I NEED HELP. I have a 13mo old Pitbull/ Shepherd (a Pitterd or Shepbull :) and a 6mos Pug... One day last week I was reading up on dry dog food and came across an article of how terrible supermarket brand dog food is. Then I went to read the ingredients of my kibbles n bits health bag and saw that the ONLY meat ingredient was “beef fat”!!! and that was listed under PROTEIN!! And it was like 6th or 7th!! WTF HAVE I BEEN FEEDING MY BABIES!!! Then I came across <http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/> and began to wonder about premium dry dog food and how its main ingredients are meat. Then I read on to RAW feeding and how dry food, no matter how nutritious it is it will never provide the “life energy” from food that dogs, or any living thing, does. How much more beneficial a RAW diet is and another article said that dogs on a raw diet can easily surpass 20 years (AWESOME!!!), also how this type of nutrition will more than likely take care of any of the “problems” that certain dogs or breeds have today.
So I was sold!!!

--I know I want to give my babies a much much better diet than I currently am of supermarket kibble.
--I know that they, like the VERY active happy dogs that they are :), deserve as best nutrition that I can provide them. Hell, we eat different foods every day.
-- I DO not want to go broke doing it!! I mean that’s the reason why pople buy supermarket kibble because 20-30 dollars would feed them for over a month! And as I read these “premium” dog foods I saw that a 30lb bag is 55-60 bucks , AND CAN ONLY BE FOUND ONLINE!! But I really cant put a price on helping them live 5-10+++ years longer.. :(
-- I have NO IDEA what Im doing with the raw diet!! The closest Ive gotten to it is mixing their food with an egg or 2 or giving them our left over roasts.

I don’t have a meal plan, don’t know where to buy or what to buy, dont know how to keep it reasonably priced. I think the only thing that I DO know is that I have to make the change gradually, and slow so as to not upset their insides too much..
So Im asking for some help!! Please!! Guidance!!!
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier

"Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend." ~Corey Ford
javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 23rd, 2009, 11:14 am

Raw vs. kibble is a personal choice. I used to feed raw but it got too expensive, so now I feel Wellness Core - $55 for a 30 lb bag. Expensive, but that bag lasts for 6-7 weeks. When it comes to comparing cheap kibble to high-end kibble, you're going to feed much less of the high-end kibble because there aren't as many fillers in it.

Should you choose to do raw, which I do recommend if you can afford it and have the freezer space, try to find a meat co-op or a good butcher in your area. That will help cut down on costs. As will buying in bulk (hence many raw feeders have a stand-alone freezer specifically for the dogs).
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby javjersey » April 23rd, 2009, 11:20 am

Oooo.. yeah, I definitely DO NOT have the freezer space. Not yet anyway. Hopefully when we move later this year I will have an extra one or that may b able to be adjusted w/ 50 bucks or so through craigs list :) So thats an option. It just sounds expnsive. As to th high end kibble, you feed less?? I now feed them a cup and a half to Brooklyn and 1/2-3/4 cup to Billy (pug) and I do this 2ice daily.. How do you know to feed them less and I assume its wayy to soon to only feed them once a day.
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier

javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » April 23rd, 2009, 1:33 pm

Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » April 23rd, 2009, 6:35 pm

javjersey wrote: As to th high end kibble, you feed less??

Yes, definitely. The high-end kibble contains less artificial fillers and/or grains. :)
The other HUGE benefit of feeding a healthier kibble and/or RAW - less poop! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby javjersey » April 24th, 2009, 11:45 am

Awesome!! Thanks. I will go with the premium high end kibble as i wanted to beforehand, who wouldve known I was right :| after all!!!!
CinderDee, thanks I will got to petsmart or petco to see if I can find natural balance to ease them into the better kibble and until I actually find a place to purchase 6 star kibble.. They are not easy to find
pitbullmamaliz wrote: so now I feel Wellness Core

I was looking into 6star kibble and I came down to 4 choices, Innova Evo, Artemis Maximal Dog , Wellness Core, or Orijen. Now all that I have to do is find one that is sold at a store closest to me
Thanks!!! I really appreciate the feedback!

This site rocks!!!

javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby kera09 » July 7th, 2009, 4:11 pm

i feed california natural to my 3 pitties. a 30 lb bag is 43.99 and lasts us almost 2 weeks. its good for dogs with allergies, the ingredient list is pretty short. im happy with the food. and they also occasionally get left over meat from dinner and veggies mixed in!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Raw Feeding