feeding raw to my dog with cancer

Postby gracie » August 18th, 2009, 5:52 pm

We have been doing a lot of research on feeding raw. We just recently started our 2 year old pit on raw for about a week now. I have a 7 year old Rotti that has just been diagnosed with fibrosarcoma(on the skin) and I'm a bit hesitate to start him on raw. I guess I'm just unsure if his immune system is up to par and able to handle the raw meats, bacteria, etc. I've read that I should absolutely keep him away from grains which are in all the dry dog foods, but I've spoken with my vet and she says basically that's "bull" and she does not support my choices to go raw. I know most vets are against raw I've researched that to...I guess I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I appreciate any help.
Tuan & Crystal
Bayler 7 year old Rotti
Gracie 2 year old Pit Bull
gracie
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » August 18th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Check out this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=30527

What kind of cancer treatment is your dog getting?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby gracie » August 18th, 2009, 6:10 pm

The vet says chemo/radiation could be an option, but she doesn't recommend it because of Bayler's age and the fact that he is very healthy otherwise along with outstanding bloodwork. Also she says I would have to talk to the oncologist, she is not even sure they would offer treatment for this since they don't know anything about this particular type of fibrosarcoma. I agree because a Rotti's normal lifespan is about 10 years and I don't want him to be sick for the remainder of his life being on treatment. They also say that the treatment doesn't rid the dog of the cancer like in humans, just shrinks it.....so it will never go away. Why put him through that.

I would rather see him live out the last few years of his life as a healthy, active, happy go lucky dog than to be sick, tired, and miserable. We have decided to stay postive and hope for the best. Hopefully we won't see the cancer return for at least 2 or 3 years and if it does we will just have it removed immediately again and of course have regular checkups and bloodwork done. I know God is watching over my baby and he will be alright.
Tuan & Crystal
Bayler 7 year old Rotti
Gracie 2 year old Pit Bull
gracie
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » August 18th, 2009, 6:46 pm

As long as your vet says he's healthy in all other ways, a slow switch over to raw shouldn't be an issue. Since you're not doing any kind of further treatment, his immune system won't be at rock-bottom and he should be able to handle raw. Just watch out for the usual signs of gastrointestinal distress such as vomitting, diarrhea, etc -- if you see any of those, back off the raw and go back to whatever you were feeding before. You can always try raw again later after his symptoms calm down.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Raw Feeding