Book about feeding Raw?

Postby Flex235 » February 12th, 2012, 11:47 pm

I want to buy a book on feeding raw so I can learn more of the do's and don'ts of it all. Ive read a lot of stuff on here and already learned a good bit but getting questions answered takes a bit since I'm still fairly new and have to wait for full access and for a moderator to approve my questions. So I'd like to find a good all inclusive type book about feeding raw. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Flex235
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 13th, 2012, 9:27 am

Honestly, I wouldn't waste your money on a book. The internet will give you all the info you need. Have you checked out the RawFeeding Yahoo group? They're a little rabid, but take what they say with a grain of salt and you'll have an excellent place to start.

Seriously, we all have a tendency to overthink this when we start. I know I did. But I'm telling you, jump in with both feet and learn on the fly! Toss a chicken quarter down to start, once a day, every day. If your dog starts getting too fat, cut back. Too thin, add more. After a couple weeks if everything is going well, add some pork or beef. After a couple weeks of the new protein and everything going well, throw a little sliver of liver down. Add more organ/liver as your dog adjusts.

If your dog's poop is too dry and crumbly, feed less bone. Too runny, add more bone. The way to learn how to feed raw is just trial and error. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amalie79 » February 13th, 2012, 6:18 pm

I read several books: Lew Olsen's book, another one called Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet, read a lot of Whole Dog Journal back issues and the Yahoo raw feeders group, Pitcairn, and talked to people who do the Volhard method. A friend of mine has been reading the Kymathy Schultz book and she liked it... the thing is, you'll read each of these books, and find a different approach in every one. I took a bit from one, a bit from the other, some basics from yet another, and created a plan that I felt comfortable with and that erred on the side of caution. Once you get going, it's not as scary. FWIW, I add supplements-- either Missing Link or Solid Gold Seameal, roatating the two to cover as many bases as possible, plus salmon oil, Vit E, cranberry, etc.-- to help ease my mind that the girls are getting what they need.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TinaMartin » February 14th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I didnt bother with books. I surfed the net, gathered as much info as I could and then just jumped in and did what I felt was right. I have blood draws done and everything comes back perfect.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Return to Raw Feeding