Kennel owners shoot 80 dogs

Postby KJS » August 13th, 2008, 12:41 pm

2 Pa. kennel operators shot 80 dogs

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- Two eastern Pennsylvania kennel operators shot 80 dogs after wardens ordered some of the animals examined by veterinarians, dog law enforcement officials said Tuesday. Elmer Zimmerman, of Kutztown, shot 70 dogs after a July 24 inspection, officials of the state Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement said.
His brother, Ammon Zimmerman, operator of a kennel next door, shot 10 dogs, officials said.

Wardens had ordered 39 dogs checked for flea and fly bites. They also issued citations for extreme heat, insufficient bedding and floors dogs' feet could fall through.

Elmer Zimmerman told The Philadelphia Inquirer he feared the state was trying to close his kennel, and said a veterinarian recommended destroying the dogs.

"They were old, and we were hearing that they don't want kennels anymore," he said. "The best thing to do was get rid of them."

Ammon Zimmerman told a reporter the decision to destroy the dogs was "none of your business." State law allows owners to put dogs down by shooting them, though Gov. Ed Rendell is trying to change that. He backs legislation pending in the state Legislature that would only allow veterinarians to euthanize dogs in commercial kennels.

"It's horrible, but it's legal," Jessie Smith, special deputy secretary of the dog-law bureau, said of the shootings.

"That someone would shoot 70 dogs rather than spend money to do a vet check is extremely problematic," Smith said.

Ken Brandt, lobbyist for the Pennsylvania Professional Dog Breeders' Association, said the group didn't support the operators' actions. He said there were other ways to resolve the situation, "like in a court."
The breeders could have turned the dogs over to rescue groups, said Howard Nelson, chief executive officer of the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"Every humane society in the state would have taken those dogs," Nelson said.

The two men surrendered their kennel licenses. Elmer Zimmerman pleaded guilty to four charges of violating the dog law, Smith said.

---

Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby LMM » August 13th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Effing Disgusting.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby cheekymunkee » August 13th, 2008, 1:03 pm

How awful :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby BigDogBuford » August 13th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Wow. That's all I got. Wow.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » August 13th, 2008, 1:45 pm

I just hope they all passed quickly. :(

And I also hope someone shoots them...between their legs...
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » August 13th, 2008, 2:05 pm

:sad2: :nono:

I hope they passed quickly too. How sad.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby airwalk » August 13th, 2008, 2:08 pm

The breeders could have turned the dogs over to rescue groups, said Howard Nelson, chief executive officer of the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"Every humane society in the state would have taken those dogs," Nelson said.

okay but being slightly sarcastic here...would this person please identify what Humane Societies have so much room and will take uncared for dogs...because I have some cared for dogs that are looking for places to go and I can't seem to find these empty Humane Societies. Oh that would be because dogs from other shelters can't be marketed as being "rescued" for horrible conditions and used to make tons of money

Okay rant over
airwalk
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 13th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Wow what a sad story. :(
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby LaylaWoobie » August 13th, 2008, 2:20 pm

uhh thats where I used to live :shock:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby SisMorphine » August 13th, 2008, 2:22 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:uhh thats where I used to live :shock:

Did they give you proper bedding and flea treatment while you were living there?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » August 13th, 2008, 2:55 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
LaylaWoobie wrote:uhh thats where I used to live :shock:

Did they give you proper bedding and flea treatment while you were living there?

:lol3:

Sad story, but that was cute!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby muse » August 13th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Wow, seriously? Whats wrong with people? :(
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » August 14th, 2008, 1:03 pm

HOW does that get him off the hook from the original cause for investigation?!?!?!?
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Return to All the news that's fit to print