Mom Kicks Fighting Kids Out of Car, Gets Arrested

Postby Marinepits » April 21st, 2009, 7:23 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD97N3NAG0

Police say mom ordered daughters out, drove off
By JIM FITZGERALD – 1 hour ago

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — Usually, it's an empty threat: "If you kids don't stop fighting, I'm going to stop this car right now and leave you here!" But a mother from an upper-crust New York suburb went through with it, ordering her battling 10- and 12-year-old daughters out of her car in White Plains' business district and driving off, police said Tuesday.

Madlyn Primoff, 45, a partner in a Manhattan law firm, pleaded not guilty Monday to a charge of endangering a child. A temporary order of protection was issued, barring her from contact with the children, who were physically unharmed.

Primoff's lawyer, Vincent Briccetti, would not comment Tuesday on details of the case. But he said, "Madlyn is a great mother connected with a great family, and she is grateful for the outpouring of support from friends and family."

There wasn't much support from strangers, however. Mothers interviewed near the scene said they couldn't imagine doing what Primoff did, though some understood the urge.

Iris Gorodess, 49, of Mahopac, who has four children ranging from 10 to 19 years old, said she sympathized with Primoff's actions, right up to the point where she pulled away.

"I used to pull over and make the kids change seats. Also, I make sure the kids have their iPods and their games. And I have a minivan, so they're not up my neck all the time.

"But I can't see pulling away. That has to be too scary for the children."

White Plains police said Primoff ordered the arguing girls out of the car Sunday evening as they were driving home. She left them at Post Road and South Broadway, an area of shops and offices 3 miles from their home, then drove off, the police report said.

The report does not say whether the girls had cell phones.

Police would not say if Primoff ever returned to look for the girls, but they said, without explaining how, that the 12-year-old eventually caught up with the mother. The 10-year-old was found by a "Good Samaritan" on the street, upset and emotional about losing her mother, police said.

The girl gave police her mother's name and their address in well-to-do Scarsdale, and they asked Scarsdale police to check Primoff's $2 million house. Shortly afterward, Primoff called Scarsdale police from home to say the 10-year-old was missing, said Scarsdale Detective Lt. Bryant Clark.

He directed her to White Plains police headquarters, where she was arrested.

Dr. Richard Gersh, director of psychiatric services at the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services in Manhattan, said Primoff's behavior was not appropriate.

"It is a traumatic situation for a child to be abandoned by a parent like that. You can imagine what emotional issues might arise," he said.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » April 21st, 2009, 7:45 pm

Little brats probably deserved it.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » April 21st, 2009, 7:52 pm

My mother had one of those freaky Stretch Armstrong arms -- she could whip that arm around backwards and smack the crap out of us in the backseat if we were acting up. She was fast and lethal, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » April 21st, 2009, 8:11 pm

My dad used to knock our heads together. That'll shut ya up real quick!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » April 21st, 2009, 8:15 pm

:lol3: We'd get the crack in the back of the head. Dad would grab us by the back of the neck if we were REALLY fresh.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » April 21st, 2009, 9:46 pm

Oh yeah, didn't you hate the stretch armstrong arms. They could reach you anywhere.
airwalk
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » April 22nd, 2009, 6:10 am

We traveled the country in a station wagon with a camper behind us. Five siblings. My Dad would sing funny songs to shut us up. I still laugh when I remember some of the lines from them. My Mom just knitted the entire time.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby demolitionic » May 10th, 2009, 3:50 pm

I still remember my dad yelling, "Both of you pipe down or I'm gonna rip off your sister's arms and beat you to death with them."

Ahhhhhh.

Good memories, good memories.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » May 10th, 2009, 4:40 pm

iluvk9 wrote:We traveled the country in a station wagon
Damn Joyce, you must be really old. :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Return to All the news that's fit to print