Family Dog Survives 98 Days on Deserted New Jersey Island

Postby Marinepits » December 9th, 2009, 7:09 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579854,00.html

Family Dog Survives 98 Days on Deserted New Jersey Island
Wednesday, December 09, 2009
By Joshua Rhett Miller

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale — a tail, really — about a brave beagle and a family's refusal to give up.

Buddy, a 4-year-old beagle, was reunited with his New Jersey family on Monday after 98 days spent on unihabited Gull Island in New Jersey' Manasquan Inlet. The Kelleys, of Eatontown, N.J., lost control of Buddy on Aug. 31 as the family attempted to switch the dog's leash while frolicking on Dog Beach in the Manasquan.

Two months later, Buddy — who had lost so much weight he was little more than skin and bones — was spotted along railroad tracks near the deserted island

"The Coast Guard said they had seen him digging in the sand," Edith Kelley told FoxNews.com. "He might've been looking for clams or sand crabs."

Exactly how the dog survived is unclear, but Kelley said Coast Guard officials told her the dog might have survived on dead seagulls found on the island. But by the time a local man, "Muskrat" Jack Neary, successfully trapped Buddy on Monday, the once-35-pound dog had dropped to just 19 pounds.

Kelley's husband, Charles, said he still can't fathom how Buddy made it back home.

"I'm still walking around in a funk, it's hard to believe," he told FoxNews.com. "I mean, is this true? It's hard to believe."

Edith Kelley, whose son Patrick cares for Buddy, said the family is simply "ecstatic" to be reunited with their "miracle" dog.

"I couldn't believe it — after 98 days," she said. "And he's behaving like he never left. He didn't go feral."
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » December 9th, 2009, 7:16 pm

The "He didn't go feral!" part made me giggle. :dance:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » December 9th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Oh, that poor dog! He looks so thin. :( But at least there is a happy ending.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » December 9th, 2009, 9:45 pm

That is so unbelievable. So glad he is home.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Dukes_mom » December 10th, 2009, 1:45 am

That is a great ending! I'm sure he will fatten up in no time :)
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » December 10th, 2009, 6:53 am

Dukes_mom wrote: I'm sure he will fatten up in no time :)

You are right....I guess I just always put one of my dogs in the position of the dog in the story and I just can't imagine something like this happening to them. And of course, Truman could live off his fat for quite a while... :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » December 10th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Beagles are wily little bastards!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » December 10th, 2009, 7:22 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Beagles are wily little bastards!

Apparently. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to All the news that's fit to print