Lake Oswego man dies trying to save dog in surf

Postby maberi » February 16th, 2010, 12:41 pm

LINCOLN CITY -- A 72-year-old Lake Oswego man wading into the surf Sunday morning to rescue his dog died when a wave pulled him away from the beach.

Richard William "Bill" Davis was walking along the beach around 9 a.m. with his dog, witnesses told Oregon State Police.

Davis threw a stick into the water for the dog to chase. A wave caught the dog and pulled it into the surf. Davis then went into the water after the dog and was swept out.

A witness swam out to Davis but was unable to pull him back to the beach. Other witnesses kept an eye on him while others summomned rescue crews.

A rescue swimmer from the North Lincoln Fire and Rescue Department reached Davis, brought him back to shore and started CPR. The dog managed to reach the shore on its own and survived.

Davis was taken to Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital where he was pronounced dead abot 10 a.m.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby BullyLady » February 16th, 2010, 12:48 pm

What do you even say about that? How brave and dedicated that he went in after his dog, how awful that he died and the dog made it back to shore on its own. Ugh.... :neutral:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Pit♥bull » February 16th, 2010, 12:51 pm

R.I.P Mr. Davis, my hat's off to you for trying.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » February 16th, 2010, 7:35 pm

BullyLady wrote:What do you even say about that? How brave and dedicated that he went in after his dog, how awful that he died and the dog made it back to shore on its own. Ugh.... :neutral:

Ditto. :(
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » February 17th, 2010, 7:24 am

:( What a dedicated dog owner.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to All the news that's fit to print