Ex-school bus driver held in attempted abduction

Postby SLS61185 » May 20th, 2010, 12:05 am

This happened around the corner from my house! When I was going to work today, there were two news vans down the street with cameras set up. Had no idea what was going on. Then, when my husband was going to work tonight, he said there were two cop cars at one house and two more down the road just sitting. Apparently this is why. I assume they're trying to get statements from people. The news and cops are at the opposite end of the road from where it happened. So, I'm not sure what's going on??

http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2010 ... on-attempt

Ex-school bus driver held in attempted abduction

Police say suspect tried to lure a 9-year-old boy into his truck in Spotsylvania County.

Follow us on

UPDATE:
Spotsylvania County Schools is releasing the following statement regarding Mr. Carl Rice:

Mr. Carl Rice worked this spring as a bus driver with Spotsylvania County Schools for a two week period. As of May 8, he was no longer allowed to drive as a substitute bus driver due to personnel reasons. A background check is conducted on all employees as a matter of policy.

Date published: 5/19/2010

By KEITH EPPS

A man who recently worked briefly as a substitute school bus driver for Spotsylvania County was arrested Monday for trying to lure a 9-year-old boy into his personal vehicle, police said.

Carl Frederick Rice, 51, of 10903 Cedar Post Lane in Spotsylvania was charged with attempted abduction and placed in the Rappahannock Regional Jail, Sheriff’s spokeswoman Liz Scott said.

Scott said the child was riding his scooter in the area of 10800 Crestwood Drive about 6 p.m. Monday when a tan pickup truck pulled up next to him. The driver told the child that the child’s friend “Chris” wanted to see him and asked him if he wanted a ride.

The child didn’t have a friend by that name and told the man he did not want to get into the truck with him. When the driver continued to try to talk the boy into getting in, the child took out his cell phone and called his mother. The driver left after seeing the boy on the phone.

Scott said the child gave an “extremely accurate” description of the truck and the clothes the man was wearing. His mother found the truck at 10903 Cedar Post Lane before deputies arrived.

Deputies found Rice at the home and he was identified by the child and taken into custody. Scott praised the boy for “doing everything we could have possibly asked him to do.”

Rice’s time as a county school bus driver was brief. School system spokeswoman Sara Branner said he worked for the system from April 26 until May 7 of this year.

Branner said Rice was sent a letter on May 6 informing him that he could not drive anymore because of a personnel matter. Branner said she could not disclose what the personnel matter involved, and she wasn’t sure about the ages of the children who rode on his bus.

Rice is being held without bond.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » May 20th, 2010, 4:50 am

holy crap that is one smart kid who knows how to think on his feet!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SLS61185 » May 20th, 2010, 5:08 am

In one of the news reports... His mom said that she had just talked to her son about this kind of thing a few days ago! She said a lot of it had to do with them watching the movie The Lovely Bones a few days ago.
Stac

SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » May 20th, 2010, 8:34 am

In NY, everyone gets fingerprinted, too.

I wonder what the "personnel matter" was and did they mean "personal matter"? :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SLS61185 » May 21st, 2010, 1:51 am

See, that's what I wanna know, too. I'm wondering if either he was reported to have done something to a kid at the time OR they find something in his backgoround.

I'm not sure on how the do the hiring around here for the schools.
Stac

SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to All the news that's fit to print