Police video shows them shooting a dog

Postby HappyChick » June 16th, 2010, 2:55 pm

http://www.wgem.com/global/story.asp?s=12642564

LaGrange police criticized for dog shooting video
Posted: Jun 13, 2010 7:03 PM CDT

LAGRANGE, Mo. (WGEM) -- The LaGrange Police Department is coming under fire from the community after a video posted on YouTube and Facebook.

The video shows a LaGrange police officer shooting and killing a mixed-breed pit bull. According to police reports, the dog acted aggressive toward officers and a young child. But the owner is telling a different story.

"She was a big dog, she was playful, she liked to jump around. But she's never acted aggressively toward anybody," says the dog's owner Marcus Mays.

Mary Coleman says the dog attacked her six-year-old daughter.

"I hear a big dog growling and I turn around and it was running towards us. I shut my daughter behind me and I started to yell and kick at it," Coleman said.

It was late March when Coleman and her daughter were waiting for the bus. A dog wrestled out of its leash and came running at Coleman's daughter. Coleman was able to fight off the dog and go back to her trailer to call police.

"It followed me down here and it started acting real calm again. I got the chain around it and fed it some dog food. That might have been the trick, feeding it dog food," Coleman said.

According to the video, the dog looks calm as officers put a collar around its neck and only gets agitated when police use an animal restraint pole.

"These are the people that are protecting the town and they can't even load a dog up into the vehicle? Don't have enough sense to put the pet taxi on the ground," Mays said.

Now that the dog is gone, both Mays and Coleman are left wondering if killing the dog was the right thing to do.

"I felt really bad, I really did. I was like I didn't want them to kill it, I just wanted to get it away from here," Coleman said.

"She came down here and in her last moments she was terrified trying to get away and this is the spot they shot her at," Mays said.

The La Grange Police Department says they cannot comment because the case is under investigation. Mays was cited for having a vicious animal. He pleaded not guilty and his case is expected to go to trail on June 17.

This is the video from the police car:

Caution! The end of the video is graphic and upsetting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbQQUuvR3RM

The dog is reported as a mix breed pit bull, but someone involved in the case said she was an American Bulldog.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » June 16th, 2010, 10:38 pm

This Is Just across the river From Quincy....... :cuss:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby iluvk9 » June 17th, 2010, 5:51 am

I won't watch the video, but I don't know why they would post it on YouTube, etc. That is just wrong, to my thinking. Bad enough the circumstances of the shooting are being questioned.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby AllAmericanPUP » June 22nd, 2010, 4:54 pm

Unbelievable. The dog wasn't even acting aggressive. It was scared but not aggressive. Bunch of no good trigger happy POS.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby TheRedQueen » June 22nd, 2010, 5:05 pm

Wow...trigger-happy dickhead...the dog was obviously terrified...biting the catch-pole...wouldn't most scared dogs do that?

RIP nameless dog...:( Wagging her tail after the first shot...how utterly sad.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TinaMartin » June 24th, 2010, 9:22 am

That dog did nothing to deserve that kind of treatment. I see absolutely no aggressive behavior. Scared yes aggressive no.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby dlynne1123 » June 25th, 2010, 12:01 pm

I would think police should have similar training as ACOS, and good ones at that. Even in the vets office we see dogs like that and we don't go giving injections for good. The dog was on the end of a pole for christ sake! Not visciously attacking anyone!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » June 25th, 2010, 12:04 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:RIP nameless dog...:( Wagging her tail after the first shot...how utterly sad.

Ditto.

I can't even bear that she was wagging her tail, it hurts my heart.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to All the news that's fit to print