Vick's harshest critic becomes one of his biggest fan

Postby SLS61185 » December 9th, 2010, 12:03 am

Blah. Seriously?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-293375

There was no harsher critic of Michael Vick(notes) than the judge who sent him to prison for 23 months for his role in running a dog-fighting operation. Now that Vick has served his time and succeeded thus far in rehabilitating himself on and off the football field, Judge Henry E. Hudson has turned into one of Vick's biggest fans.

[Rewind: Controversial 'Top Dog' Vick headline]

Hudson, back in the news for presiding over a case that is challenging the constitutionality of the nation's new health-care policy, was asked about Vick by The Washington Post:

"He's an example of how the system can work. [...] He's having a terrific season. [...] I'm very happy for him. I wish him the best of success."

That's a far cry from the scathing words Hudson had for Vick when he sent him to jail for nearly two years, 18 months longer than the prosecutor's recommendation. From the New York Times:

"You were instrumental in facilitating, putting together, organizing and funding this cruel and inhumane sporting activity," Hudson told Vick in a courtroom packed with animal-rights activists and Vick's family and fans. "While you have acknowledged guilt and apologized, I'm convinced it was not a momentary lapse of judgment on your part. You were a full partner. [...]

"I think you need to apologize once again to the millions of people who look up to you."

[Rewind: Michael Vick jerseys are hot again]

Hudson isn't the only one who has forgiven Vick. The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback, who has the team leading the NFC East, is the leading vote-getter of all NFL players in Pro Bowl balloting.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
User avatar
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup
 
Posts: 153
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia

Postby plebayo » December 9th, 2010, 1:26 am

He's an example of how the system can work.


How?

He only quit fighting dogs because he got into trouble. I find it hard to believe that he truly found the error of his ways. If he hadn't been caught he'd still be doing it now. How exactly did the system work, what exactly did it do? :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
User avatar
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare
 
Posts: 942
Location: Oregon

Postby SLS61185 » December 9th, 2010, 2:29 am

Exactly. He isn't sorry he did it. He's only sorry he got caught. I think all the ones out there that say he 'did his time, let him move on from it' are the one that DON'T own Pits. I bet they'd be saying a different story if it was their dogs that he did all of those things to... Then maybe, just maybe, they'd understand why we're so p*ssed off about what he did. But until it happens, they won't. They don't care. And I honestly can't believe the Judge of all people, the one that decided how long he'd be in prision for, is on his side now?! That just blows my mind.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
User avatar
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup
 
Posts: 153
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia

Postby Malli » December 9th, 2010, 4:08 am

what if he really IS sorry and has seen the error in his ways? Is there any evidence that shows he isn't?

I'm not saying I don't detest Vick, even if he was entirely remorseful, I'm not sure I could forgive him, but it might change the flavor of my detest...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
_______________________________________
"You didn't know of the magical powers of the break stick? It's up there with genies and Harry Potter as far as magic levels go." SisMorphine 01/07/07
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?

Postby plebayo » December 9th, 2010, 4:44 am

what if he really IS sorry and has seen the error in his ways? Is there any evidence that shows he isn't?


He keeps saying he's sorry. But what else do you say when you've been caught doing something you weren't supposed to be doing?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
User avatar
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare
 
Posts: 942
Location: Oregon

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 9th, 2010, 7:12 am

I would believe him more if he were doing things of his own volition to help dogs/pit bulls, not just because he's in the H$U$'s pocket. He had a chance to see some of his old dogs - he refused. He hasn't volunteered at a shelter. All he does is go around to schools and talk about how lucky he is to have gotten a 2nd chance, and oh yeah, dog fighting is bad. But guess what kids! If you're a great athlete it doesn't matter what you do because people will forgive you.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby LMM » December 9th, 2010, 10:24 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I would believe him more if he were doing things of his own volition to help dogs/pit bulls, not just because he's in the H$U$'s pocket. He had a chance to see some of his old dogs - he refused. He hasn't volunteered at a shelter. All he does is go around to schools and talk about how lucky he is to have gotten a 2nd chance, and oh yeah, dog fighting is bad. But guess what kids! If you're a great athlete it doesn't matter what you do because people will forgive you.



I couldn't have said this any better Liz.
User avatar
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Bitch please....

Postby mnp13 » December 9th, 2010, 11:53 am

Why don't I believe it? Because systematic torture of animals for personal gratification/gain is the mark of a sociopath. Sociopaths don't just "turn over a new leaf." He did this for years, you have to be a sick individual to do it once... but years? Like has already been said, he's only sorry he got caught.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17234
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby Tubular Toby » December 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm

mnp13 wrote:Why don't I believe it? Because systematic torture of animals for personal gratification/gain is the mark of a sociopath. Sociopaths don't just "turn over a new leaf." He did this for years, you have to be a sick individual to do it once... but years? Like has already been said, he's only sorry he got caught.


THIS.

My boyfriend is always asking me the same thing - He's doing all this good, talking to kids, etc, how do you know he hasn't changed?

This has pretty much been my response in all of my non dog social circles.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully
 
Posts: 521
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma

Postby Malli » December 9th, 2010, 1:57 pm

for sure, if he hasn't been doing anything of his own volition, then thats different.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
_______________________________________
"You didn't know of the magical powers of the break stick? It's up there with genies and Harry Potter as far as magic levels go." SisMorphine 01/07/07
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?

Postby furever_pit » December 9th, 2010, 2:06 pm

SLS61185 wrote:Exactly. He isn't sorry he did it. He's only sorry he got caught. I think all the ones out there that say he 'did his time, let him move on from it' are the one that DON'T own Pits. I bet they'd be saying a different story if it was their dogs that he did all of those things to... Then maybe, just maybe, they'd understand why we're so p*ssed off about what he did. But until it happens, they won't. They don't care. And I honestly can't believe the Judge of all people, the one that decided how long he'd be in prision for, is on his side now?! That just blows my mind.


There are Pit Bull and non-Pit Bull owners alike who are still very angry at Vick for what he did and for his later and continued success in the NFL. Likewise, there are both Pit Bull and non-Pit Bull owners who are on the other side of the fence and feel he served his time.

I certainly don't like what Vick did and it irks me that he is back in the NFL. I think the organization as a whole owes more to the children that look up to these athletes. But this is bigger than Vick. It shouldn't just be that the dog fighter doesn't get a second chance in the NFL...it should also include the rapist, the woman beater, the drunk driver who killed a man, etc.

Honestly, I think the outrage about Vick and his current employment would be better served and maybe could even change things if it simply approached the greater issues at hand here. It really surprises me how many people rise up over some dogs but you never hear anything about those athletes that have committed crimes about their fellow HUMANS. :|

As for the Judge, are we really surprised that he is hailing the judicial system in which he works? And the case that he was a direct part of? Cause I'm not.
User avatar
furever_pit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1138
Location: NC

Postby LMM » December 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm

That reminds me.....it's funny (not ha ha) when people bring up crimes other athletes have commited. It's always being thrown in our face like because we get so outraged about Vick, we don't care about anything else. How does anyone know what cause(s) I've personally championed? How does anyone know I'm not just as outraged at something Ben R. has done? Or the countless other thugs who do the stupid shyt they do? I'll answer that, they DON'T. Maybe our energy is being spread to various other causes. It's not only possible but probable.

The difference here is the MEDIA (once again) has forgotten those other players. The MEDIA has decided they don't want to spotlight these other criminals anymore. Because it's pit bulls and an NFL player, the MEDIA knows this is where their money stories are right now. So THIS is always in the forefront of people's minds and a continual slap in the face of animal loving people.

Don't think for one second just because I may give someone hell for a Vick comment that I don't give a shyt about what rapists, killers, and thugs are doing anywhere else in the world. I do, trust me I do.
User avatar
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Bitch please....

Postby furever_pit » December 9th, 2010, 4:02 pm

My comment was not directed at you personally. It was merely a statement based on what I have observed not only here but elsewhere. That's great that you are aware of the other athletes that somehow get to fly below the radar.

And sorry but I don't believe that the knowledge or caring of the other crimes can be totally blamed on the media. The media in the end serves up what is in demand; if there were some greater movement calling for increased punishments for felons who happen to play professional sports then that would be the story. But peoples heartstrings are pulled more easily over dogs than they are for other people. Yes, I am generalizing but it is what I have seen.

I apologize if you see my comment as some slap in the face. That's not how it was meant. I didn't start praising Vick for what he did or congratulate him on his return to the stadium. I think he is a creep, but I know he's not the only one.
User avatar
furever_pit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1138
Location: NC

Postby amazincc » December 9th, 2010, 5:46 pm

"Forgiving the essence of evil is not appropriate."

~Dr. William Petit~
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby SLS61185 » December 10th, 2010, 2:26 am

furever_pit wrote:
SLS61185 wrote:Exactly. He isn't sorry he did it. He's only sorry he got caught. I think all the ones out there that say he 'did his time, let him move on from it' are the one that DON'T own Pits. I bet they'd be saying a different story if it was their dogs that he did all of those things to... Then maybe, just maybe, they'd understand why we're so p*ssed off about what he did. But until it happens, they won't. They don't care. And I honestly can't believe the Judge of all people, the one that decided how long he'd be in prision for, is on his side now?! That just blows my mind.


There are Pit Bull and non-Pit Bull owners alike who are still very angry at Vick for what he did and for his later and continued success in the NFL. Likewise, there are both Pit Bull and non-Pit Bull owners who are on the other side of the fence and feel he served his time.

I certainly don't like what Vick did and it irks me that he is back in the NFL. I think the organization as a whole owes more to the children that look up to these athletes. But this is bigger than Vick. It shouldn't just be that the dog fighter doesn't get a second chance in the NFL...it should also include the rapist, the woman beater, the drunk driver who killed a man, etc.

Honestly, I think the outrage about Vick and his current employment would be better served and maybe could even change things if it simply approached the greater issues at hand here. It really surprises me how many people rise up over some dogs but you never hear anything about those athletes that have committed crimes about their fellow HUMANS. :|

As for the Judge, are we really surprised that he is hailing the judicial system in which he works? And the case that he was a direct part of? Cause I'm not.



I, for one, dont' say anything about the other athletes only because I can't sit here and tell you who did what and when. I don't pay attention to sports enough to know about it. I only know about what happened with Vick because of the dogs, it happened 5-6 hours from where I live and what not. It's a matter of opinion, I guess. (I had a whole point to this, but I honestly can't think of it right now)
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
User avatar
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup
 
Posts: 153
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 10th, 2010, 8:21 am

I get salty about the other guys too, trust me. One of my friends kept getting offended when I talked about protesting if Vick showed up in Cleveland - "well, would you go protest with me if I wanted to protest (forgot his name, but some dude who was high and killed somebody with his car) so and so?" She shut up when I said yes. I firmly believe that felons should not be able to play for the NFL. Whether we like it or not, kids are going to look up at these guys as heroes, and really, very few of them are worthy role-models.

That being said, if the NFL prohibited felons from playing there would be no teams, so it's never going to happen.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby LMM » December 10th, 2010, 8:37 am

I didn't think you were speaking to me personally, I am speaking on the general whole. We hear and see this all the time "Oh you care so much about those dogs, why don't you care about the homeless people in our country" and it always makes me go "huh?" :?

I didn't say it should be totally blamed on the media's, did I? I think I pretty much eluded to your point when I said the media knows where their money stories are.
User avatar
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Bitch please....

Postby LMM » December 10th, 2010, 8:38 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I get salty about the other guys too, trust me. One of my friends kept getting offended when I talked about protesting if Vick showed up in Cleveland - "well, would you go protest with me if I wanted to protest (forgot his name, but some dude who was high and killed somebody with his car) so and so?" She shut up when I said yes. I firmly believe that felons should not be able to play for the NFL. Whether we like it or not, kids are going to look up at these guys as heroes, and really, very few of them are worthy role-models.

That being said, if the NFL prohibited felons from playing there would be no teams, so it's never going to happen.


It's a damn shame just how true this statement is.
User avatar
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Bitch please....

Postby mnp13 » December 10th, 2010, 10:08 am

Did he serve his time? Yup, I don't have a problem with that. That's how our justice system works. You do your time, and then the time is up.

My problem is the underlying nature of the crime, and the now public face of him as a player. And quite frankly, the Eagles let someone go a few years ago because of his questionable conduct with his dogs - Rottweilers if I remember right - but he was not a big name talent. They went back on those ethics because Vick is big name/big money.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17234
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby WackyJacki » December 10th, 2010, 1:35 pm

mnp13 wrote:Why don't I believe it? Because systematic torture of animals for personal gratification/gain is the mark of a sociopath. Sociopaths don't just "turn over a new leaf." He did this for years, you have to be a sick individual to do it once... but years? Like has already been said, he's only sorry he got caught.


Exactly.
Custom collars, harnesses and leashes
http://www.collarshop.org
User avatar
WackyJacki
Just Whelped
 
Posts: 54

Next

Return to All the news that's fit to print

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users