Amazing guy who took in 200+ pets during Irene

Postby iluvk9 » August 31st, 2011, 7:13 am

This man is well known here, owning a unique pet store, a columnist and having a TV show on how to care for any type of animal you own.
:)

Newsday columnist takes in more than 200 pets

Tuesday August 30, 2011 5:19 PM By Eileen Holliday

As Long Islanders and their pets flocked to evacuation shelters in preparation for Tropical Storm Irene, some pets had no place to go.

But Newsday columnist Marc Morrone came to the rescue and took in more than 200 pets ranging from birds, ferrets, rabbits, fish, lizards and guinea pigs.

“Now, I know what Noah went through,” said Morrone, co-owner of the Rockville Centre store Parrots of the World.

After LIers found out that many of the evacuation shelters would only accept cats and dogs, Morrone said the pet owners started dropping off their animals at his store Friday and continued until Saturday.

“People just kept coming and dropping them off,” said Morrone, who spent Saturday night in his 10,000-square-foot store with all the pets.

A majority of the pets went home Tuesday as power was being restored to more areas of Long Island.

“I was in business during Hurricane Gloria but that took us by surprise,” Morrone said. “This was like nothing I ever experienced.”

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/town ... -1.3133026

His pet store:http://www.parrotsoftheworld.com/
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » August 31st, 2011, 10:11 pm

Isn't he the guy from Martha Stewart? He's a really cool guy he reminds me of the vet I work for lol. That's so awesome that he would do something like that.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 1st, 2011, 5:59 am

Yes, that is him. A little on the nerdy-side when on TV, but very informative. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » September 5th, 2011, 9:32 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Yes, that is him. A little on the nerdy-side when on TV, but very informative. 8)

Haha yeah, he's kind of a dork. But I agree he always has good information and advice to give. I also think he seems to really like animals, he doesn't act like it's just a "job" and he's just being paid to tolerate them.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 6th, 2011, 5:47 am

I learned a lot about ferrets from his show. But I wouldn't own one. Too sneaky looking to me. I don't trust them. :off:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to All the news that's fit to print