From the Big Dog Himself, 2Dogs2000Miles

Postby Marinepits » January 1st, 2010, 11:03 am

http://www.2dogs2000miles.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 27, 2009
Michael Vick

I hate protesting. It's wasteful and in many cases an irrelevant use of precious resources. But I must make a stand against what I feel is a travesty of justice against all that I believe in, represent, and have fought for these thousands of miles we have walked. The following is an email I sent to one of our supporters:

"I understand show business is all about ratings but to be completely honest with you I haven't had any desire to be on your show since I listened to your interview with Wayne Pacelle with HSUS about Michael Vick.

Since it's not my cause or mission I had hoped to let things (sic) lie but upon hearing the news that Vick received the Ed Block award for 'courage' I can no longer remain silent.

I have walked through many inner cities like DC and Baltimore and spoken with kids who idealize him because the dogs in their neighborhoods are trained to kill. Dogs are the enemy so they wear his jersey with pride and hero worship.

But this goes so far beyond dog fighting. Science tells us that people who torture and kill the innocent are a special kind of evil and that recidivism is 100% so the HSUS purported claim that they hired Vick to hopefully change these killers is 100% false.

People that profit from crimes they weren't party to are typically held accountable for aiding and abeting. In the current financial downturn the HSUS saw the economic potential in Michael Vick.

No matter the wonderful things HSUS has done in the past, Mr. Pacelle is complicit in Vick's crimes against animals. I bet HSUS has an equity interest in a future reality show about his makeover.

Read Vick's statement yesterday"I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear," Vick said. "You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do (it). Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through"

If the animal community lacks the courage to stand against HSUS about Michael Vick then to hell with them."

And to hell with me and my cause if I don't do what I can to prevent this travesty of justice.

Monday, December 28, 2009
A Birthday Blog

It wasnt my intention with my blog about Michael Vick to foment hate but voice my scathing criticism of how little still we value the life of a dog. Malcolm was my son & my soulmate and not a mile passes that I wouldn't trade all of this just to have him with me again.

I've heard the arguments and listened to countless opinions but for me it comes to this. Why would valuing companion pets as members of our family conversely lessen that which we place on human life? I can have the same love, affection, and loyalty for my parents and siblings as I have for Hudson and Murphy. Love is not zero sum.

You know not so long ago children in this country were treated like chattel and afforded no more basic rights than that of a piece of farm equipment. We have evolved as a society and now have laws and agencies in place to protect them. Yes we've made progress and considerable strides in animal welfare over the last decade but I've also walked through states whose laws seemed medieval.

I try as best I can to keep the focus of my writings and reflections about the walk and all of the amazing things we see, experience, and learn. But it is a journey. Some of you have asked me to remove the blog and facebook postings about Vick because of the negative feelings it generates. They will remain but because I made a commitment to record and chronicle just about every aspect of this journey whether good or bad or right or wrong. I know that means some of you won't be with us all the way but from the bottom of my heart I thank you for traveling with us as long as you did.

One of the things I have learned throughout a year and a half on the road is that this walk is as much my own personal war on cancer as it is trying to do my part in changing societal perceptions of companion animals and their roles in our lives. The Vick travesty has set us back years but rest assured the fuzzybutts and I will get back on the road and keep walking... full of faith, hope, and belief....

puppy up!

Yer One-Year Older Big Dog
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » January 1st, 2010, 11:56 am

Spoken by one who 'gets it' and isn't afraid to stand against a large organization.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby LMM » January 1st, 2010, 12:25 pm

One of my favorite parts:

Love is not zero sum.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Pit♥bull » January 1st, 2010, 1:00 pm

Some of you have asked me to remove the blog and facebook postings about Vick because of the negative feelings it generates. They will remain but because I made a commitment to record and chronicle just about every aspect of this journey whether good or bad or right or wrong. I know that means some of you won't be with us all the way but from the bottom of my heart I thank you for traveling with us as long as you did.

Vick 'fans' can kiss my ass :mad2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Return to Michael Vick