Vick: Dogfighting Part of Black Culture

Postby madremissy » January 22nd, 2010, 12:24 pm

I believe this is total :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
It is just another way for him to make money off the wrong he did. :nono:

Now if he takes what he makes and donates it to Bad Rap for taking care of those dogs then I might have to be just a little less upset. Not much but maybe.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22308689/detail.html

Vick: Dogfighting Part Of Black Culture
Posted: 8:43 pm EST January 21, 2010
Updated: 6:32 am EST January 22, 2010

Comment On This Story ››

PHILADELPHIA -- Michael Vick returned to the site of his gruesome dogfighting crimes, looked at an empty dog bowl left behind in a dingy cage and wondered how he ever could have risked fame, freedom and fortune for "Bad Newz Kennels."
"This is hard to imagine myself doing this years ago, man," Vick says, cameras rolling.
His visit to the property he once owned in Surry County, Va., where he trained pitbulls for vicious fights and helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well, is a teaser of what's ahead in his docu-series "The Michael Vick Project."
Vick candidly tells how he became entangled in a dogfighting ring that sent him to prison and temporarily halted his NFL career as part of a series that debuts next month on BET. Vick says the 10-part series that premieres Feb. 2 will show he's a changed man after a tragic fall from stardom he says "was all my fault."
"At times, it's hard to talk about it, but for the most part, if you talk about it and let it all out, it kind of helps put the demons to rest," Vick told The Associated Press on Thursday.
Vick served an 18-month prison sentence for operating a dogfighting ring. He returned to the NFL this season as a backup QB with the Philadelphia Eagles.
In the first episode, Vick openly discusses living a "double life" of running the operation at the same time he was making Pro Bowls and signing a 10-year, $130 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons. Vick explains in detail the childhood experiences he had with dogfighting and how the activity morphed from his NFL sideshow job to a bustling second career that spanned state lines.
"I really took to it," Vick said on the show. "I was intrigued by what was going on. It kind of excited me and I gravitated to it."
Vick told The AP that walking over the burial spots of some of the dogs killed as part of his dogfighting operation "cut me deeply" and was the moment when he "really realized all the wrong that I did."
"I wanted to go out there and just totally put it all away and forget about it," Vick said by phone. "I felt like once I did that, I'd be able to do that. For the most part, I did. Since I've been out there, it's eased a lot off my brain as far as thinking about it."
Vick said he'd never be able to completely forget the horrific acts he witnessed and committed. Returning to Virginia made Vick deeply consider a question that still nags at his conscience: Why?
"Why sacrifice so many animals and put them in vulnerable positions to be harmed and injured?" he told The AP. "It was pointless."
The first episode does offer a glimpse, however, at answering that question. Vick said he saw his first dogfight as a 7-year-old. Vick's brother, Marcus, tells the cameras that growing up "we never knew there was nothing wrong with it."
Michael Vick said on Thursday that dogfighting was a part of black culture.
"When you grow up in the inner cities, when you grow up in the urban neighborhoods, that's pretty much what you get," Vick said. "You don't have opportunities to do certain things at your own leisure. When you have down time, if you're not playing football, basketball or baseball, then you're looking for some activity to get into."
Vick said he's learned the last few years to deal with his heinous crimes and their repercussions.
"I had counseling sessions when I was about to be incarcerated," he said Thursday. "It was therapeutic for me."
Vick's mother, sister, and Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer were among the people interviewed on the first episode. His fiancee, Kijafa Frank, says she pleaded with Vick to quit. Vick said when he was charged in 2007, he believed "money will get me out of this situation" and lawyers could make all the legal issues vanish.
Only months later, Vick surrendered to U.S. marshals.
"I cried all the way to the jail," he said on BET.
Wearing a white button-down shirt and jeans, Vick appears at ease as he discusses how his dogfighting stable rapidly expanded and spiraled out of control. He wanted to end it, but never found the courage to say stop.
Vick now says he's a new man. Vick, the former No. 1 overall pick, said the show chronicles the real story of his rise to the top, his precipitous fall, and path toward redemption. Vick is shown playing catch with his son, and laughing with his two daughters in a scene that softens the image of him as a dog-killing monster.
"I think people will see him in a different light, respect him in a different way," producer James DuBose said. "I don't say people are ever going to forget what he did or the mistake that he made. But we all, in my mind, deserve second chances if you own up to your mistake and help others not make that same mistake."
Vick worked with the Humane Society of the United States this season and gave speeches at schools and churches about how wrong he was to ever get involved with dogfighting -- especially with so much to lose.
Vick said he's turned his life around and wants to show people that he can change. He knows he'll always have his detractors -- protests are included in the first episode and later ones -- but he's trying to make amends.
"It's still a work in progress each and every day and it's going to be that way the rest of my life," he told The AP.
His football future is in limbo. He attempted only 13 passes and rushed 24 times in limited action with the Eagles season. The Eagles hold a $5.2 million option for next season and might not pick it up if Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb return. Vick, who said he started working out Wednesday, hasn't thought much about next season.
"I'm excited about everything," Vick said. "Whether I'm in Philly or Tampa Bay, it wouldn't even matter."
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TinaMartin » January 22nd, 2010, 12:39 pm

:puke: :puke: :puke:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » January 22nd, 2010, 1:11 pm

And the PR machine spins away..... :rolleyes2:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » January 22nd, 2010, 2:05 pm

TinaMartin wrote::puke: :puke: :puke:

My sentiments exactly :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby TinaMartin » January 22nd, 2010, 4:29 pm

I think one of the things that bothers me the most is the comment of it being part of black city culture. Ummm no last time I checked Charles had no interest in fighting dogs. Its a bad cop out. :nono:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Jenn » January 22nd, 2010, 5:01 pm

:rolleyes2:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitsnok » January 23rd, 2010, 10:36 pm

I hate that people can put it so lightly "he made a mistake"..."he learned his lesson".

ummm... If someone kills a child do we forgive based on their lessons learned, and apologies? Nottt usually. I can't wrap my head around killing hundreds and hundreds of innocent dogs for pleasure and money and not treating that the same way.

I agree:
:puke:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby demolitionic » January 24th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Did anyone else notice the part where Vick acknowledges that dog fighting excited him?

Because violence and bloodshed and injury and death and mangled bodies and missing limbs and festering infections and limping, crippled animals are definitely aphrodisiacs, right?

I'm sorry, that's not a "mistake" that one "overcomes." That's a smurfing crossed wire in the genetic code somewhere.

Didn't see anything wrong with it? Didn't have anything else to do? I walked my 8 year old ass home alone from school every day just fine. You know what I did? My smurfing homework. I lived alone with a working single mother too, asshole, spew that woe-is-me-I'm-black crap somewhere else.

And they can show all the pictures of him with his kids and family and crying they want - Ted Bundy fooled a helluva lot of people for a long ass time too. He was also excited by violence and dead animals.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - he's a smurfing mentally and morally defunct monster who's just not smart enough to have climbed any higher up the sociopathic totem pole. Fortunately for him he throws the hell out of a ball, so he has people smarter than he is on his payroll to clean up after him.

Being a smurfing conscienceless monster isn't something someone "overcomes" and it's not a "mistake" that deserves a second chance.

It's one of those unfortunate dice rolls of nature that is (sadly) not eligible for a post-birth abortion. smurf that asshole and his PR firm.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » January 24th, 2010, 10:32 pm

demolitionic wrote:Did anyone else notice the part where Vick acknowledges that dog fighting excited him?

Because violence and bloodshed and injury and death and mangled bodies and missing limbs and festering infections and limping, crippled animals are definitely aphrodisiacs, right?

I'm sorry, that's not a "mistake" that one "overcomes." That's a smurfing crossed wire in the genetic code somewhere.

Didn't see anything wrong with it? Didn't have anything else to do? I walked my 8 year old ass home alone from school every day just fine. You know what I did? My smurfing homework. I lived alone with a working single mother too, asshole, spew that woe-is-me-I'm-black crap somewhere else.

And they can show all the pictures of him with his kids and family and crying they want - Ted Bundy fooled a helluva lot of people for a long ass time too. He was also excited by violence and dead animals.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - he's a smurfing mentally and morally defunct monster who's just not smart enough to have climbed any higher up the sociopathic totem pole. Fortunately for him he throws the hell out of a ball, so he has people smarter than he is on his payroll to clean up after him.

Being a smurfing conscienceless monster isn't something someone "overcomes" and it's not a "mistake" that deserves a second chance.

It's one of those unfortunate dice rolls of nature that is (sadly) not eligible for a post-birth abortion. smurf that asshole and his PR firm.

:clap: :rock: :clap: :rock: :clap: :rock:

Can I quote You???
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » January 25th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Very well said, Amanda!!! :goodStuff: :clap: :highfive:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Michael Vick