Starting cats on raw

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » April 18th, 2007, 10:54 pm

Thanks, I'll go join!

I'm out of cat food, so they have been getting sardines and they are loving that! But raw chicken? You'd think I was asking them to eat dog poo.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » April 20th, 2007, 10:42 am

Do you they like to hunt? I used to work at a cats only vet clinic and one of our clients would buy mice from a pestore and release it in a room with the cats and well lets say the cats had a fresh killed raw diet!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby HappyPuppy » April 24th, 2007, 11:19 am

My Dad used to boil up the gizzards/liver for his cat when he bought a chicken - maybe that could be an intro ON their kibble if they're turning their feline noses up at raw and then you could cook it less and less.... I know cats can be finicky.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 24th, 2007, 9:51 pm

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Favorite Kitty » April 25th, 2007, 9:06 am

i know what happens when you change a cats diet and he isnt happy about it. he went into liver failer, the little jerk. luckily he made it but it was a looong and expensive road to get him back. im terrified to change his food again. they get Evo in their bowls and eat a variety of high quality canned. i also cook for them but they arent that into it.

do you feed them any canned now, michelle? they sell canned meats that are ground like a canned cat food consistency but are all meat. maybe if you tried that they would get the taste for it and you may be able to just get their food pieces larger and larger. i think its just the whole - "Holy crap, mom, my food is scary!" thing. i can feed mine canned tuna but when they are given fresh tuna steaks? forget it. its all in the consistency.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » April 25th, 2007, 10:12 am

They will eat canned, I haven't been feeding them canned though. The raw cat list I'm on (thanks ConcreteRose!) suggested getting them on canned, then adding in raw and slowly putting in more raw and less canned.

Nothing is ever simple with cats!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » April 25th, 2007, 10:34 am

That's for sure!!

Favorite Kitty, it was YOUR story about your cat that has made me OCD about feeding them at the EXACT same time every day!! I used to feed them whenever I felt like it ( twice a day but not consistant with the times) but now I am a little nuts about it. So, yeah, thanks for that!! :greenWave: :wink:

That is also the reason I am afraid to try raw with them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » April 26th, 2007, 8:48 am

Try raw turkey. Especially the ground up stuff. My cats hated chicken, but LOVED turkey. After a few weeks on turkey, I pulled the 'ol switcharoo and they had no problem!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health