Treadmill

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby kymn25 » April 27th, 2006, 2:10 pm

I am considering getting a treadmill and if possible I would like to get one that the dogs can use as well. Can dogs use people treadmills? :|
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » April 27th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I think they could, if you supervised them so they don't fall off?

There was a treadmill at our Goodwill store yesterday for $35.99.

Wish I'd known you were interested, I could have picked it up for you.

Try your Freecycle though, before getting one!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 27th, 2006, 2:18 pm

yes they can, but their claws will do a number on the running surface.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby kymn25 » April 27th, 2006, 3:07 pm

what's better for dogs manual or motorized? Or does it matter?
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » April 27th, 2006, 3:22 pm

mnp13 wrote:yes they can, but their claws will do a number on the running surface.

Hm so what is the way around this? Mitts on their paws?? :o
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 27th, 2006, 3:43 pm

msvette2u wrote:Hm so what is the way around this? Mitts on their paws?? :o

No idea... Dog claws damage even the hardest hardwood floors. A rubber treadmill track doesn't have a chance.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » April 28th, 2006, 10:03 am

Vicki's been running on my electric mill for over two years. The surface is fine, not wearing at all :|
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 28th, 2006, 10:37 am

concreterose wrote:Vicki's been running on my electric mill for over two years. The surface is fine, not wearing at all :|

Hmmm... I know someone who had a dog's nails turn the band into ribbons. Maybe he just had a crappy one. That's good to know!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » April 28th, 2006, 11:19 am

mnp13 wrote:
concreterose wrote:Vicki's been running on my electric mill for over two years. The surface is fine, not wearing at all :|

Hmmm... I know someone who had a dog's nails turn the band into ribbons. Maybe he just had a crappy one. That's good to know!

Yes, it probably depends on the kind of belt.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 29th, 2006, 8:47 am

Red has a nice setup. Maybe she will post the pics.

She made a box to fit over the mill so you can attach a harness to the dog. This way if they slip they won't get hurt.

I have an electric but I'm still training them to use it.

IMO there isn't a difference as far as the exercise. They're running no matter what kind you have. I think you need to supervise with all of them but with the electric you need to control the speed for them.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 29th, 2006, 9:49 am

Romanwild wrote:IMO there isn't a difference as far as the exercise. They're running no matter what kind you have. I think you need to supervise with all of them but with the electric you need to control the speed for them.

I have a carpet mill and I modified my electric mill. There is a difference! The carpet mill definitely added more muscle definition, whereas the electric mill makes them a bit more streamlined. Vicki got 'bigger' once I started putting her on the carpet mill, and she won't run it longer than 10 minutes because of the resistance.
Here's my box:
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » April 29th, 2006, 1:43 pm

I have just a regular human treadmill for the dogs. Maggie will do it, but she doesnt really enjoy it.

Trey is a NATURAL. He took to it right away. I picked him up, set him on the belt, held his collar and turned it on low. He started running so fast that I had to keep him from running right off the front, so I turned the speed up. It took all of about 3 minutes to get him to know what he was doing. Now, I have him up to jogging a little over a mile a day. I think I am going to shoot for a 1.5 miles today. I took a little video of it yesterday, I need to post it. He always has the most gigantic grin on his face when he does it. :D
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health