American Red Cross Pet First Aid

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » January 16th, 2009, 1:54 pm

http://www.redcross-cmd.org/chapter/petguiderev.html
Veterinarian and author, Bobbie Mammato, DVM, MPH is an emergency/ critical care veterinarian who also has a Masters in Public Health. In addition to her duties as a part-time small animal practitioner, she is a disaster relief consultant to The Humane Society of the United States. The Red Cross book she reviews below has been lauded across the country by top veterinarians.

Book Review

Pet First Aid - Cats and Dogs
by Bobbie Mammato, DVM, MPH

The American Red Cross, in cooperation with The Humane Society of the United States, has published a very useful handbook for pet owners on first aid care in dogs and cats.

The author, Bobbie Mammato, DVM, MPH is an emergency/critical care veterinarian who also has a Masters in Public Health. In addition to her duties as a part-time small animal practitioner, she is a disaster relief consultant to The Humane Society of the United States.

One of the first things that struck me about this book is the illustration work. The simple line drawings are expertly drawn to help with the textual description and to make a point. The book is spiral-bound, making it easy to open to a page, and have it stay open. This is important in an emergency situation.

Information is well organized, covering everything from the basics of 'how to approach a sick or injured dog or cat' to CPR, to how to build your own first aid kit. You will find a wealth of great information in between, too! Learn what is normal for your pet, how to administer various medications, how to recognize an emergency, and what dehydration looks like.

The main body of the book deals with common health problems and emergencies, and offers solid advice for taking care of your pet until a veterinarian can be seen. Smoke inhalation, collapse, lacerations, diabetic emergencies, and heat stoke are just a few of the emergency situations covered in this book. For each emergency or situation, you will learn about possible causes, the signs that the animal may be showing, first aid that should be administered until you can see your vet, any relevant tips*, and how to prevent the situation from happening.

A small section on tips for owning a healthy dog and cat concludes the book -- choosing your pet, providing daily care, traveling, and even a brief section on when to say good-bye.

I recommend this book to any pet owner, and would advise reading it thoroughly, prior to any emergency! The solid information presented here will alert pet owners to potential hazards, and may help save a pet's life should an emergency occur.

This book is attractively priced and well worth the cost. Proceeds of this book also support The American Red Cross and The Humane Society of The United States, there are two more reasons that this is a great buy for pet owners.

* For example, in the Car Accident Emergencies section - the tip relates to safer car travel when in pet carriers or special safety harnesses for dogs.

Link to book - http://redcross-cmd.org/Chapter/books.html
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » January 16th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Thanks Michelle, I'd definitely love to have something like this on hand.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » January 16th, 2009, 3:42 pm

We're going to have the class at DOTCORNY in the next month or so, they will have it on hand. the class is $35.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » January 16th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Can you let me know when it will be? I'd definitely like to sign up for that!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 16th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I will definitely sign up for that!
Keep us posted when it will be.
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health