Another Poo Thread!!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Hey, no problem! You have your own opinion & you are free to voice it like everyone else is and you don't need to apologize for yours. It's a choice, you can chose to do it if you wish or not. Totally up to you. I myself fast from time to time, no reason, I just don't always get hungry. I haven't eaten today & don't feel that much like going into the kitchen. I fasted the dogs last night. Right now Justice is running aroudn like the maniac that she is, Munkee is asleep in my brothers room & Ollie is beside me. None of them suffered any ill will by not eating yesterday. If I fasted them for longer than 24 hours I might be considered cruel but my vet is well aware of my feeding habits & the last time I saw him he had nothing but good things to say about them & their health. If he thought that they were suffering I am sure he would let me know it. He is a professional & sees nothing cruel about fasting. He does it himself with his kibble fed dogs.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » May 8th, 2006, 11:53 pm

I have rarely fasted, even when I am sick, unless it is constant vomiting. I do go to bland foods, both for me and my dogs, but eating nothing makes me worse. If I were to fast, because of my metabolism, I would cease to function in about half a day. Shaking, crabby, dizzy. Typical low blood sugar symptoms, and I do not eat unhealthy foods often. I am borderline diabetic. Two of my dogs have the same metabolism, so to me it would be cruel to withhold food to them when I would not (and could not) do it to myself.

Again, you are not a dog. You're body is VERY different than a dog's. It is HEALTHY for a dog to fast.

There is a whole article about fasting in Dr Pitcairn's guide to Natural Health for dogs and cats. I can copy it if you are really interested.

My cats occasionaly skip a meal. The dogs know when fast days are, and they are completely fine. It is NATURAL for them to fast.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 11th, 2006, 3:41 pm

there is nothing cruel or inhumaine about fasting. The husky I grew up with spent days not eating... with a full dish of food on the floor for her.

All animals in the wild go day(s) without eating. It doesn't do them any harm.

As for the 'science' behind fasting.... modern vet science would have you belive that raw food will kill your dog and Purina Science diet is the ultimate in premium dog food. I don't put much stake in 'sceintific' animal food studies.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health