Puppy Weight

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 10th, 2006, 7:59 am

Is there an average # of pounds that pups should be gaining per week? Inara is 6 1/2 months old, and since I switched her to raw I'm going to be keeping a close eye on her weight so she doesn't get fat or skinny. Should she be gaining a pound a week or anything like that? Or is it just kind of random?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » May 10th, 2006, 9:45 am

I think it's different for different breeds....

Although, I think my pup had "growth spurts" at 3-4 months, 6 months, 7.5 months, and she's hitting another now (9 months)....so, she might gain 1 or 2 lbs a month, but between 6 months old and 7 months old, she gained 8 lbs...

I've read many places that puppies on raw grow at a slower rate than puppies fed commercial kibble/dog food....I can definitely say that I look at Nisha and think she's tiny for her age, and I have her on raw....

So, that's something to keep in mind....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Magnolia618 » May 10th, 2006, 10:19 am

I've read many places that puppies on raw grow at a slower rate than puppies fed commercial kibble/dog food....I can definitely say that I look at Nisha and think she's tiny for her age, and I have her on raw....

I really dont understand this...
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 10th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:

I really dont understand this...

If commercial dog food companies are using filler, then the weight that is being gained is more fat....

Many proponents of raw have noticed this, as well as breeders who have switched from (at one time) using kibble to now using raw....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » May 10th, 2006, 7:12 pm

I've heard that too. I'm not sure why, I don't have puppies so I haven't looked into it. The fillers in dog food does make sense since the puppies body is going to be actually using more of the raw diet instead of storing it or eliminating it like a kibble fed puppy would.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » May 10th, 2006, 7:51 pm

I was always worried about Maya's weight,height etc when she was a pup ...Specially cause she was a picky eater.When she was 6 mo old and the vet checked her out I asked how much more she will grow....She said because she was already 17 inch tall and around 40#,she might end up 20-21 inch,and 60#.Now my girl is 19 months old and 49-50#,and 18 inch....
Every dog is different,she stopped growing since she was 8 months old.Now she just have to fill ou a little bit more :) With Nico he was growing after 8 months old ... :|
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 10th, 2006, 7:58 pm

ellie@ny wrote:I was always worried about Maya's weight,height etc when she was a pup ...Specially cause she was a picky eater.When she was 6 mo old and the vet checked her out I asked how much more she will grow....She said because she was already 17 inch tall and around 40#,she might end up 20-21 inch,and 60#.Now my girl is 19 months old and 49-50#,and 18 inch....
Every dog is different,she stopped growing since she was 8 months old.Now she just have to fill ou a little bit more :) With Nico he was growing after 8 months old ... :|

Exactly....Sacha stopped growing when she was 10 months old....my puppy is 9 months old now....but the breeder I got her from thinks she's going to be about 55-60 lbs (7-12 more lbs)...about 2-3 inches taller...and she'll fill out...

Who knows, this is my first mal...not sure what to expect...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Gatsu » May 11th, 2006, 1:28 am

i wouldnt just say its fat that the pup would gain on cheap food. They use the cheapest ingredients possible, and the most likely contains hormone injected/fed "animal proteins".

Same with humans these days, ever notice how girls are developping at earlier ages? guys are haveing facial hair younger too? ur eating meat that has not known the out doors and been able to wonder aroudn and eat. They sit next to a conveyer belt and it steroids so they grow faster and can be turned into a profit.

btw im 19 just so i dont look like some 30 yr old pervert hahaha.
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 11th, 2006, 9:51 am

Gatsu wrote:i wouldnt just say its fat that the pup would gain on cheap food. They use the cheapest ingredients possible, and the most likely contains hormone injected/fed "animal proteins".

Same with humans these days, ever notice how girls are developping at earlier ages? guys are haveing facial hair younger too? ur eating meat that has not known the out doors and been able to wonder aroudn and eat. They sit next to a conveyer belt and it steroids so they grow faster and can be turned into a profit.

btw im 19 just so i dont look like some 30 yr old pervert hahaha.

It's funny you mention injected/fed "animal proteins." Sacha has an awful chicken allergy....My vet wonders if she's allergic to the hormones and antibiotics that chickens on chicken farms are injected with....I wouldn't mind trying free-range chicken...but I have a fear....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Gatsu » May 11th, 2006, 12:31 pm

free range chicken tastes better, has more flavor and isnt so bland. I'm in no way saying its cheap, its actualy quite expensive compared to regular chicken but sometimes the its worth it.
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pitcrew » May 20th, 2006, 1:56 pm

I wouldn't worry about how MUCH a puppy grows on a weekly basis. As long as they are healthy (no fat puppies). I think people tend to overfeed commercial foods (following recommendations on bag, which is usually 30%-50% high) especially when pups go thru a lean stage... not so much so on raw foods.

Sometimes you will get periods where they don't seem to grow at all for a couple of weeks... and then have a NOTICABLE growth spurt. And then when you weigh them it only amounts to 2 pounds.
It does depend on the breed and the ultimate SIZE of the dog though.

Here is a good table a vet gave me (dare I say,15+ years ago?) that I HAVE found to be VERY accurate with the 6 (on 7 now, let you know) dogs I have had from puppy-hood (I keep good records), as well as friends and clients dogs.

It is 90% accurate (for me) in MEDIUM and LARGE breeds (plus 5 pounds)

1. at 12 weeks, multiply weight times 3

2. at 16 weeks, multiply times 2

...both of those numbers (weights) are usually close to the same and have been very accurate for all of my dogs so far.
There isn't a good mathematical age method for small or giant breeds.

My current pup is James, and he will be a good test.
By his 12 wk (he was a little fat, 20 pounds) and 16 wk weight (good condition, 27 pounds). I estimate him to be 55-60 pounds full grown. I know his parents weight and this seems likely.
However his current vet and several friends and acquaintances think he is going to be LARGE (70+).
Haven't weighed him lately (5 mos. 32 lbs.) but he is 6 mos. now, and I am pretty sure he's about 35-40 pounds. Right on track.
I figured Vegas to be 50-55 lbs. and she is 55-60 and muscular for a bitch.
All of my dogs have been accurate +5 pounds. In-condition weight... not super lean, not "winter weight".

This is just a curiosity thing for me... but much more accurate than the "but he has HUGE paws!" thing.
I don't know why people use that as a guide. Collies have tiny paws for their 70 lbs. and cockers have huge paws for their 30 pounds.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health