Top 10 ingredients...good or bad?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 11th, 2006, 12:21 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:
The price is just unreasonable. I might as well feed raw.

:? Raw is not expensive.

I fed raw for about 6 months and it was MUCH more expensive here than kibble... eventhough I did buy in bulk. I pay about $90/month to feed 4 dogs with Canidae. On raw I was feeding at least double that for a variety of meat.

What were you buying? :o I spent about $25 last week ( I did run into a wondeful sale) and brought home enough meat for a month for my 3. I picked up pork, beef and chicken. I usually spend no more than 40 a month for the 3.

Holy Cow! We pay about $1.29-1.39/lb for chicken thighs/wings/quarters(.59 for chicken necks) and anywhere from $1.89 up for beef parts.
Each dog was eating approx 1 pound of food a day.
Occasionally, we could get 1 lb packages of ground turkey for $1.... so I'd stock up on those.
:|
I mispoke (miswrote?) too when I said $90 for Canidae-- we're actually going through two 40lb bags a month, so it's more like $60/month.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 11th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Girl, come to Texas, we'll fix you up! :D I usually pay about .49 cents a pound for quarters that I buy in 10 pound bags. I have bought whole chickens for them for about the same price per pound but they usually run about .89 or so.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 11th, 2006, 3:08 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Girl, come to Texas, we'll fix you up! :D I usually pay about .49 cents a pound for quarters that I buy in 10 pound bags. I have bought whole chickens for them for about the same price per pound but they usually run about .89 or so.

I'll send my dogs down to you along with $25 a month. Sound good? :D
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 11th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Maryellen wrote:
Ground Corn - gross again, dogs are carnivores not cows

Make that chickens... corn is NOT a natural food for cows or any other rumens. corn is as unhealthy for them as it is for dogs and cats.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » May 11th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Ok, I am getting REALLY frusterated.

It does not seem that you actually want to listen to the answers to what you asked.

Euk is NOT high quality food. The only people who think that are the ones who sell it and the ones who fall for their marketing. Once someone has been educated about what the ingredient lists REALLY mean, there is no excuse for pretending it is 'good' food. It is not. Period, end of story. If you still want to feed your dogs Euk, fine, go for it. But stop asking for help with dog food and then ignoring all of the information you have been given.

this is from my post in the other thread you started about this same topic.
mnp13 wrote:Chicken raw meat is mostly water, so when this is cooked it is actually much farther down the ingredient list
Corn Meal thise is the real first ingredient of the food. and corn is unusable for dogs.
Chicken By-Product Meal this is not "meat" meal, it is byproduct meal. It's still protein, but not high quality
Ground Whole Grain Sorghum more filler
Fish Meal (source of fish oil and DHA)the first decent source of protein
Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid) added for flavor
Brewers Rice,
Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)more filler
Natural Chicken Flavorshouldn't really be necessary
Dried Egg Product "product"??

If you want help, that's great, that's what the forum is for. Stop asking questions if you're going to ignore the answers that you don't like.

If your dog is not loosing weight despite increased exerecise, then you are feeding her too much.

Dogs licking their food bowls has nothing to do with them not getting fed enough, it has to do with them trying to get you to feed them more - and that is completely different.

Your puppy will grow to the size indicated by its genetics. How healthy he is and how well formed is up to you. the better the food the healthier the dog. Feeding your dog a food with corn as a first ingredient is NOT the way to a healthy dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » May 11th, 2006, 5:16 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Girl, come to Texas, we'll fix you up! :D I usually pay about .49 cents a pound for quarters that I buy in 10 pound bags. I have bought whole chickens for them for about the same price per pound but they usually run about .89 or so.

I'll send my dogs down to you along with $25 a month. Sound good? :D

Hey, it's more that my 3 are paying me! :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » May 11th, 2006, 6:54 pm

mnp13 wrote:Ok, I am getting REALLY frusterated.

It does not seem that you actually want to listen to the answers to what you asked.

Euk is NOT high quality food. The only people who think that are the ones who sell it and the ones who fall for their marketing. Once someone has been educated about what the ingredient lists REALLY mean, there is no excuse for pretending it is 'good' food. It is not. Period, end of story. If you still want to feed your dogs Euk, fine, go for it. But stop asking for help with dog food and then ignoring all of the information you have been given.

this is from my post in the other thread you started about this same topic.
mnp13 wrote:Chicken raw meat is mostly water, so when this is cooked it is actually much farther down the ingredient list
Corn Meal thise is the real first ingredient of the food. and corn is unusable for dogs.
Chicken By-Product Meal this is not "meat" meal, it is byproduct meal. It's still protein, but not high quality
Ground Whole Grain Sorghum more filler
Fish Meal (source of fish oil and DHA)the first decent source of protein
Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid) added for flavor
Brewers Rice,
Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)more filler
Natural Chicken Flavorshouldn't really be necessary
Dried Egg Product "product"??

If you want help, that's great, that's what the forum is for. Stop asking questions if you're going to ignore the answers that you don't like.

If your dog is not loosing weight despite increased exerecise, then you are feeding her too much.

Dogs licking their food bowls has nothing to do with them not getting fed enough, it has to do with them trying to get you to feed them more - and that is completely different.

Your puppy will grow to the size indicated by its genetics. How healthy he is and how well formed is up to you. the better the food the healthier the dog. Feeding your dog a food with corn as a first ingredient is NOT the way to a healthy dog.

You go girl!!!! :cheer:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder