Top 10 ingredients...good or bad?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 1:39 pm

My dogs now eat about 1 bowl per day each, although they may hint for more by licking the crumbs and I'll usually give my male pup more because I want him to be a nice size. How much less would they need to eat? Maybe the reason my female isn't getting smaller from jogging is of Eukanuba huh?
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » May 10th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:I may switch to Canidae if I can find a supplier close by. I'm in the Dallas area.

are you near Plano or Garland Road ? It would be worth your time IMO to visit Canine Commisary. They have GREAT food at very reasonable prices. Not sure about the Canidae because I haven' been there in a while since I feed raw but you shoued check them out!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » May 10th, 2006, 3:36 pm

And that should be Plano TEXAS, not Plano road. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » May 10th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Here's their website. There's one on Greenville too, i didn't know about that one

http://verizonsupersite.com/caninecommissarycom/

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » May 10th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Petco carries DVP's Natural Balance for $40 for a 37.5lb bag.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Boss Hogg » May 10th, 2006, 11:49 pm

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx? ... yID=13791&

The price is just unreasonable. I might as well feed raw.
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » May 11th, 2006, 12:19 am

:? Raw is not expensive.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 11th, 2006, 9:52 am

Magnolia618 wrote:

I spend less on raw than I do on kibble....especially if you can get chummy with a butcher...or go to a costco/bj's/etc and buy it in bulk....they eat less of it....price/pound ends up being less....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » May 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

katiek0417 wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:

I spend less on raw than I do on kibble....especially if you can get chummy with a butcher...or go to a costco/bj's/etc and buy it in bulk....they eat less of it....price/pound ends up being less....

Me too, about 1/2 of what I was spending on kibble. And that is jut from watching for sales & shopping around.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » May 11th, 2006, 10:13 am

cheekymunkee wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:

Me too, about 1/2 of what I was spending on kibble. And that is jut from watching for sales & shopping around.

If there is a butcher in your area, see if they will cut you a deal on chicken parts (or other animals)....The butcher near my office saves necks, and gizzards for me...charges me $.50/lb because he would throw it out, anyway...same with cow parts, etc....

Also, if you have friends that hunt...there are a lot of deer parts that can't be eaten by humans, but are fine for dogs....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 10:16 am

question: is there a possibility that a dog that was fed not so good food once switched to a better quality cant digest it? is it possible that some dogs CANT be on a better quality of food as their systems reject the better quality by the runs or vomiting, shedding of the coat, etc??

(reason for my asking, arturo STILL has the runs.. he was on nutro before i got him, and i have him on CA natural.. i had what, 3 days of solid poop?? he is now on a boiled chicken and rice diet as of tonight to see if that helps)

anyways, is it possible that some dogs systems just cant handle higher quality food?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 11th, 2006, 10:19 am

I know that Teal's dog Ruby can't eat raw because when she was younger she had was abused and had very bad parasites that flucked up her digestive system. (or something like that.... I could be wrong)

I totally cannot see a dog not being able to switch from Nutro to a higher quality food, though.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 11th, 2006, 10:27 am

Maryellen wrote:question: is there a possibility that a dog that was fed not so good food once switched to a better quality cant digest it? is it possible that some dogs CANT be on a better quality of food as their systems reject the better quality by the runs or vomiting, shedding of the coat, etc??

(reason for my asking, arturo STILL has the runs.. he was on nutro before i got him, and i have him on CA natural.. i had what, 3 days of solid poop?? he is now on a boiled chicken and rice diet as of tonight to see if that helps)

anyways, is it possible that some dogs systems just cant handle higher quality food?

I guess it's always possible....I'm wondering if Arturo's problem might not be allergy...how is he doing on the boiled chicken? In a different post, I say that Sacha's problems (allergy) are likely due to hormones/antibiotics...not necessarily the chicken itself

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 10:45 am

he is getting it tonight.. i was feeding him herring and sweet potato mixed with warm water, then mushed with a spoon, with white rice and a smidgen of pumpkin, and he is still loose..but better then when he was on the chicken and rice. i dont know what i did to get that solid poop for a few days that i had, i wish i knew..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 11th, 2006, 10:54 am

katiek0417 wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:

Same here. Especially with Wally eating like a horse I've been spending a lot less on raw.

But I do want to clarify, people who spend less on raw are feeding it homemade, the pre-made is FAR more expensive than doing it yourself (for me it's been a $100+ difference each month).

My old boss spent $90 on enough raw to feed her two Rotties for almost 3 months. It's way cheaper.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 11th, 2006, 11:24 am

Magnolia618 wrote:

I fed raw for about 6 months and it was MUCH more expensive here than kibble... eventhough I did buy in bulk. I pay about $90/month to feed 4 dogs with Canidae. On raw I was feeding at least double that for a variety of meat.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby turtle » May 11th, 2006, 11:24 am

Maryellen wrote:question: is there a possibility that a dog that was fed not so good food once switched to a better quality cant digest it? is it possible that some dogs CANT be on a better quality of food as their systems reject the better quality by the runs or vomiting, shedding of the coat, etc??

In this case, would it be better to put him back on the Nutro for a little bit to see if that helps? And once you have him solid (if that happens with the Nutro) then gradually mix in a better kibble and switch him slowly.

Maybe just pick one type of food and only feed him that for 2 weeks? CA Natural Chicken & Rice is a pretty mild food, maybe just that with warm water and some rice mixed in? Or go back to the Nutro for a little while?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 11th, 2006, 11:31 am

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:

I fed raw for about 6 months and it was MUCH more expensive here than kibble... eventhough I did buy in bulk. I pay about $90/month to feed 4 dogs with Canidae. On raw I was feeding at least double that for a variety of meat.

What were you buying? :o I spent about $25 last week ( I did run into a wondeful sale) and brought home enough meat for a month for my 3. I picked up pork, beef and chicken. I usually spend no more than 40 a month for the 3.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » May 11th, 2006, 11:34 am

cheekymunkee wrote:
ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:

What were you buying? :o I spent about $25 last week ( I did run into a wondeful sale) and brought home enough meat for a month for my 3. I picked up pork, beef and chicken. I usually spend no more than 40 a month for the 3.

When I get lazy and buy the premade stuff I spend much more...but for both my dogs, I spend about $15/month (if I go to the butcher for my deals)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 11:38 am

he had the runs on the nutro as well.. i am doing the boiled chicken tonight with the rice and pumpkin for the next week, and see how he does.. then slowly introduce kibble back in..
he was initially on the CA natural herring and sweet potato(as i didnt have a chicken and rice bag at the house) and had the runs as well... then i got the other bag for my 2 other dogs (jesse eats the herring only) and tried to add a few kibbles of that to the herring.. but with him full of worms, it didnt work. after 2 weeks of runs and worms i got him to have a solid poop for 3 days.. i was giving him half a cup of dry and 3 spoonfuls of wet CA natural, with a little pumpkin.. all soaked in warm water (little bit of water) then he got the runs again.. the vet thinks his intestines are irritated.. i had him on prednisone 1/2 a pill 2x a day for 3 days, and his poop got a hair better, but still runny.. the vet wanted to just try to see if the pred would work without me coming in and getting billed..

i am just wondering if the ca natural is too rich for him... well, i am doing the boiled chicken and rice tonight for the next week to see how that works..
Maryellen
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health