Poor Inara :-(

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SLS61185 » April 23rd, 2010, 3:47 am

Glad Inara is doing good! :dance:

While I agree they have things they have to pay for and some don't have a choice... Some COULD be a little more flexible (Not sure if that's the word I'm lookin' for or not). Our old Vet that I WAS takin' Patch to wanted $500, yes, 5 effing hundred, to neuter him at 5-6 months old... that wasn't including the meds to send him home with. Please keep in mind that was almost as much as our damn house payment was.... and that was $750 a month.

Not to mention the fact they were rude as all hell. They didn't care about him. They were more worried about getting their money than anything. They are corporate and have a few offices here and some out in California.

Several people we talked to about them afterward, all said the same thing. It's all about the money with them. :nono: :bs: Needless to say we never went back there again AND found a place to do it for $70, including meds to go home with and a free nail clipping! :dance:
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 23rd, 2010, 10:26 am

Maybe saying they don't care about animals is a little harsh. I know how much schooling they have to go through to be vets, and thats not cheap. I grew up with a girl that became a vet, and she adores animals. She actually works at an Emergency Vet too.
I actually have two vets - one is cheaper and is sometimes difficult for me to get to because of his hours. The other is more expensive but more convienant vet. They actually both know each other and worked together many years ago.
My cheaper vet branched off on his own and has a very busy and extremly affordable business in the city. I have referred MANY people to him. I should actually stop because it's getting harder to get in there! I also feel that I see many people in that office that otherwise may not bring their pets in if it weren't for the reasonable price. I actually take George's mother's pit bull to this vet because she cannot afford the bills for the dog, so I pay for it.
My more expensive vet does have way better hours and is in the same town I now live in, so I don't have to take off work to go there. It is also the same place we board Petie, so sometimes it is more convienant to just get her shots there.
I do make sure my pets' info gets shared between them. I have heard nothing but good things about both vets and am equally confident in their abilities and knowledge.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Ino » April 23rd, 2010, 10:48 am

I am glad to hear Inara is recovering well!!! :D I did not have time to create a post (lots of papers due for school soon)- but have been wishing her well. I have not given Ino one of those since he was a pup since he tries to destroy everything I give him and I fear he would give himself a blockage. The only thing he does not "kill" fast is his kong with frozen peanut butter in it. He can't seem to get pieces off of it fast at all- usually it takes months before he gets the right angle then it is in the trash- that are his only indoor toy now and he only gets it when I am near him. Even cuz toys, he removes the squeaker immediately then gets pieces off and they get trashed. Now, they are outdoor toys only to carry on the walk because as long as I keep him moving, he won't tear it up. :rolleyes2:
As for the vet comment that was made, I have been to a vet before that charged higher rates than most vets in the area and ran a lot of un-necessary tests (in my opinion); however they did care about the animals. They probably overcharged some people to compensate for the bills they got stiffed on (they would help any animal that came through the door and often allowed people to set up a payment plan directly with them and helped a lot of injured wild animals that people found and brought in). They did all types of surgeries and had a lot of pricey equipment that smaller vet offices usually do not. There were also several vets at the office and a relitavely large staff that needed to be paid. Remember also, they go to school for a long time and the loans can be rather large to pay back. My friend went to vet school outside of the country because it was around the same cost as the in state vet program and was a good school that had longer days but a shorter program. Her loans were quite large and I am sure it is going to take her a while to pay them back (she's the on call vet at the office she works at to suppliment her income). All of the vets I have been to (in Fl and where I am at in NY) have truely cared about the animals and in my opinion, price has nothing to do with caring. My vet now cares a lot and sometimes they give me a break and other times they do not- but I would not switch his vet over the cost because he cares, has great hours- and usually will get you right in, and my boys like the vet and staff there. There are a lot of vets that genuinely care and just like in any profession, some people get into it for the wrong reason or get burned out- but it seems to me like that the majority are not like that. Most people who do not like animals or do not care about their welfare would not spend that amount of time in schooling to do something they do not care about. :| I'm not trying to harp on the poster of that comment, but just want to say, try to be careful about generalizing- you are probably right- SOME may be more about the money, but MOST vets probably do not fall within that category.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 23rd, 2010, 3:13 pm

I will say that though Inara's vet is cheap and I adore her and her staff, she is no frills. They don't have an overnight staff and I'm sure if she needed a fancy-schmancy test or surgery I'd need to go elsewhere. But for the basics? She's ideal.

I was talking to her about this thread and joking that she was going to start getting out of state clients. She said that she gets told by other vets all the time that she needs to raise her rates to equal those of human doctors because she is doing the exact same services. She points out to those other vets that most people have health insurance, where most dogs do not. She'd rather see the dogs get the care they need.

She also works in a tiny 2 room practice in an almost rural area.

Thank you all for the well-wishes for Inara - we had the world's most perfect poop this morning! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » April 23rd, 2010, 6:55 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Thank you all for the well-wishes for Inara - we had the world's most perfect poop this morning! lol

See if Demo knows a place where you can get it bronzed... :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » April 23rd, 2010, 7:05 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:Thank you all for the well-wishes for Inara - we had the world's most perfect poop this morning! lol

See if Demo knows a place where you can get it bronzed... :dance:

:giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » April 25th, 2010, 5:11 am

Yay for perfect poop! lol
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health