What do you do with doggie Acne?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Xarpolis » June 15th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Ok, here's my problem. Since the warmer weather started, I've noticed that Baku has been coming down with Acne on both cheeks and a little on the forehead area. What can I do to treat this? The bumps are hard, and have something like a scab on them. He isn't getting attacked by insects at all, but these bumps just won't go away.

I'm not even sure if the picture really shows them off, but there's a good 15 on that cheek. He's clean and gets a bath every 2-3 weeks as needed. We keep his bedding clean as well. He has Frontline Plus to keep the ticks and flees off of him, so I'm not sure what else can be done.

Any suggestions?
My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » June 15th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Normally you see acne on the chin area of dogs. That may be something more like a dermatitis going on.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » June 16th, 2010, 2:45 am

may be some kind of skin infection as well. Dogs don't normally "get" acne like people do...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby furever_pit » June 23rd, 2010, 8:50 am

Yeah, acne is usually on the chin. You might try a medicated or chlorhexidine bath to see if that helps clear it up. Has Baku been playing with other dogs? I know my boys will get raised scabby areas when I let them out to play together.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Xarpolis » June 24th, 2010, 8:27 am

Yeah, he plays with other dogs in the neighborhood all the time.
My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health