Buford And Arthritis

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BigDogBuford » July 18th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Buford had a couple of limping episodes so I took him for an xray and we found some nasty arthritis in his left shoulder. He's got previous injuries to both knees but they don't seem to bothering him. I decided to pursue acupuncture as an option for him.

We went to a new vet for the exam and first treatment. It's always funny to go into a new place with a big, 'scary' dog and have everyone exclaiming at the end of the appointment how well behaved and sweet he is. :giggle:. I was SUPER impressed with the vet. The initial exam was $60 but he spent an entire 30 minutes examining Buford from head to toe. He found the old knee injuries that I hadn't known about. They also use a combination of traditional and holistic treatment which I really like. We went home with some Pain Free capsules which we can start in a couple of weeks after we get a chance to see how the acupuncture is doing.

It's the large animal vet that does the acupuncture and chiropractic so after we were done with the exam they brought in a big, cushy blanket which Buford promptly sprawled out on. Dr. Hannah came in and explained everything she would be doing. She put a total of seven needles in Buford. He was completely relaxed and really mostly napped through the treatment. He really liked Dr. Hannah and even gave her some kisses which he doesn't give away lightly. She spent about 35-45 minutes with us and the cost was $75. Buford slept most of the day yesterday and definitely seems to be moving easier today.

We have our next appointment on Friday for round two.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 18th, 2010, 12:28 pm

That's great that he did so well and was so popular! Have you noticed a difference yet? Just last weekend I went to a seminar on canine acupuncture. It was pretty amazing. You'll have to keep us updated!

Hugs & kisses to Buford!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BigDogBuford » July 18th, 2010, 12:33 pm

He was pretty pooped yesterday from all the endorphins and today he seems to be feeling really good. He's definitely more comfortable.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Pit♥bull » July 18th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Please keep us posted as Trouble is suffering Arthritis now and it would sure be great to find an alternative to drugs.

:goodthoughts: coming your way for Buford.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 18th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Awwww...poor Buford. :hug3: I am glad he seems to be doing better with his new Vet and treatments.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » July 18th, 2010, 9:04 pm

aw Buford ! :(

I'm glad he's had such success, I would like to try it with Oscar but it's just one of those that isn't in the budget unless the arthritis gets really dire...

Its a bit of a shock how expensive dog stuff gets without any discounts :shock:

Particularly with our new HST tax :rolleyes2: -$7/bag more for dog food now, plus its been added to all other services associated with Vets.

Keep us updated on his progress :) Do you give him any supplements? Any pain medications? Which ones?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby WackyJacki » July 19th, 2010, 12:39 am

Very interesting!! I'm curious as to how well it will help. I would love to find a vet who uses both holistic and more traditional approaches.

Any gluco/chondroitin/msm supplements? Lots of fish oil? They've immensely helped both of my girls who have joint issues. :)
Custom collars, harnesses and leashes
http://www.collarshop.org
WackyJacki
Just Whelped

Postby airwalk » July 19th, 2010, 12:45 am

Interesting, love to hear how the non drug treatments work.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » July 19th, 2010, 8:51 am

Yep, he also gets Glyco-Flex 3 and salmon oil.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » July 19th, 2010, 12:26 pm

How long has he been on the supplements?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » July 19th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Malli wrote:How long has he been on the supplements?

More than a year.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » July 20th, 2010, 2:55 am

did you start them before the limping?
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » July 20th, 2010, 8:49 am

Yes.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to Nutrition & Health