Gashed foot pad and heat exhaustion--what do I do??

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » August 1st, 2010, 11:13 pm

Degan just about gave me multiple heart attacks today. First he got way way wayyyyy over heated while Tanner walked him (only about one block) and I was panicking thinking he was going to die... I even called the emergency vet. Yeah I probably over reacted, but I panicked. Anyway, now I'm curious as to whether there are any signs of permanent damage to keep an eye out for. He is totally fine now. Back to his normal self, but I know heat exhaustion can cause some permanent problems that I don't know much about.

Apparently he also gashed his food open.

What do I do for this? He is limping on it, that's the only way we knew something was even wrong.
I dipped it in warm saline water--which was an interesting task alone. He wasn't a fan of that (obviously). But now I don't know what to do... Do I wrap it? Do I cut off the flaps of skin? Do I use liquid bandage? Should I use hydrogen peroxide instead of the saline water? I am just at a loss and need some advice. Today has been a really sh**ty day. :sad:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » August 1st, 2010, 11:46 pm

If he came into our clinic we'd def cut the flappy skin off [he shouldn't feel it]. It doesn't look like anything needs stitching [looks mostly like road rash]. If he came in we'd probably apply some type of ointment and wrap it with vet wrap for a few days to let it heal. You could use like a neosporin on some gauze or telfa padding, wrap it with vetwrap. Wash it like 2x a day with a mild soap, dry it really well, wrap it twice a day. After 2-3 days see what it looks like. If it's healing up stop wrapping it. It will need air to fully heal but for the first few days you wrap it so the ointment will absorb into it. The biggest thing is don't let him lick it and keep it clean.

This is all of course what I would do/have seen done. If you're really worried you should obviously consult your vet.

Poor guy, I'm glad he's okay otherwise, heat exhaustion can be scary! Just be sure he's got access to plenty of water.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby SLS61185 » August 2nd, 2010, 12:32 am

A couple of months ago Patch ripped his pads up pretty bad. I took him to the vet and they glued part of it back on... Gave him some meds, some ointment and some saltwater mix... They said they didn't want to wrap them because they needed to air out. He basically had to stay off of them for a few days as much as possible.

A couple of days ago, he ripped one again. I just used the ointment on it, kept him off of it and that's about it. He's fine now.

Oh, and when I say he ripped, I don't mean just a little part gone or anything. I mean HUGE chunks of his pads.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » August 2nd, 2010, 2:17 am

I would equate it to having a blister on your foot. I'd be incline to do what plebayo suggested with my own dog as well. I've used people nail clippers to *carefully* cut off the bulk when we've had injuries like that before. If he doesn't have grass or concrete to walk in when he goes out for the bathroom (i.e. its dusty or there is a dirt road you use) I'd also be inclined to clean it was mild unscented soap and water after he's been outside.

I don't understand how he could have gotten heat exhaustion in a 1 block walk :neutral: Was he hot before the walk? What was the temperature outdoors? What made you think he had heat exhaustion? I would think that the cases you'd see permanent damage due to heat exhaustion would be cases that required medical intervention just to survive at all.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby PetieMarie22 » August 2nd, 2010, 10:50 am

pitsnok wrote:Yeah I probably over reacted, but I panicked.

a few months ago, before it even got REALLY hot here in NY, I took Petie for a walk about a mile or so t about 10am on a Saturday. She scared me like that too! Where I almost called someone to come get us. She was just panting really hard and getting pretty slow in her stride. I was thinking in my head "Oh no! What if she's getting heat exhaustion!" I kept stopping and letting her rest in the shade and giving her water. She went through a whole normal sized water bootle by herself.
I think I probably was over reacting too. I've never really seen heat exhaustion, like someone like Malli or the others on this board that work in animal care have. But I know how you feel! I'd rather be an over protective mom than sorry - that's for sure.

Also there is a sticky under the "Nutrition and Health" section about heat stroke and what to do.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » August 2nd, 2010, 11:53 am

He was panting heavier than I'd ever seen. Also drooling excessively (deign never drools). He collapsed on the porch and his back legs were not functioning properly. Luckily I had just filled a kiddie pool and he immediately layed down in that. His mouth was bright red and he was also disoriented. When I called the emergency vet she told me to cool his stomach and under his arms and limit his activity so we did just that. I guess the walk was technically about two blocks--down the street and back. My boyfriend was walking him so I'm not sure exactly how far they went. He was also excited about the other dog being with him.

We live in central Oklahoma so it is hot, but he has never had issues with getting over heated before. Now we know that no walks can be made before sundown during the summer.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 2nd, 2010, 2:58 pm

I'd leave his foot alone. And no, do not clean it with hydrogen peroxide. After initially disinfecting it, hydrogen peroxide destroys healthy tissue as well as "bad" tissue so it actually can slow healing down.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » August 2nd, 2010, 3:01 pm

I wrap ripped pads for the first few hours...with some gauze and vet wrap-if the pads are bleeding. That keeps them from licking, and keeps the blood from getting all over the house. After a while, I take the wraps off...unless the dog has taken it off already.

I might put a little Buddy Boo Boo ointment on it...but nothing else usually. I just let them heal naturally. We get ripped/torn pads pretty often...Inara's pads are soft n' pink and rip easily.

After this, you can work on toughening up the pads, so they won't rip/tear so easily...there are products to toughen them, and walking them on rough surfaces helps. My back steps and patio are rough concrete/stone...so my dogs toughen theirs naturally.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » August 2nd, 2010, 5:25 pm

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I have been cleaning it with salt water and clipped off the 'flappy' stuff... He is still limping, but seems to understand now that I'm helping him when I clean it. Last night he was really offended I would touch his owie. :rolleyes2:

Since he is being REEALLY calm and just sleeping I am keeping it unwrapped. Luckily our back yard is grass so it shouldn't get too dirty when he goes out to potty. I put neosporin on it earlier and it didn't seem to bother him much. Luckily it is just the pad, and it didn't cut into the meat of his foot at all, so I'm not too worried about it. I will continue to clean and monitor it though-- if we need to go to the vet we will.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » August 3rd, 2010, 2:44 am

I think you had reason to be concerned. That IS concerning behavior! I wonder if your boyfriend is like my boyfriend and tends to "gloss over" things, and maybe the walk was farther?
You might want to consider a digital thermometer(rectal temps ;) ), 37.5 - 38.5-39 is normal temperature, if this happens again or you are ever concerned about his temperature then that may be handy, particularly in your climate.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitsnok » August 3rd, 2010, 2:59 am

Malli--I kept wishing we were at our own house because we have a thermometer I would have taken his temperature with. I feel so terrible because before they went for their short walk I said, "Take some water with you." and my boyfriend said, "we won't go far, he'll be okay" ... needless to say I think he has learned his lesson on LISTENING TO ME!!!" (I am always right...) :wink: It is just crazy to think that Rockford, the boxer who is actually bigger, and heftier, than Degan wasn't even close to being as worn out...ugh.

Anyway, Degan is doing well. We have wrapped his foot up because it kept getting dead grass stuck in it... hopefully that will help. He's not a big fan of having a wrap on his foot, but he seems to understand that we're helping. Every time I clean it he immediate snuggles with me afterwards...in a more legit snuggle than he usually does...like he is thanking me for helping his owie, haaaaaha!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health