Need some ideas...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » August 4th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Beezus got spayed yesterday... and she was also dx'd w/mild demodex.
She has a big sore on the back of her neck ((almost at her shoulder blades) where she scratched herself bloody. They shaved off all her hair and applied some oitment... and this is where the problem begins.

She can't wear a cone, but the minute she's alone she either scratches at her neck or tries to gnaw on her stitches. Right now she's leashed to my couch leg so I can keep an eye on her... but I have no idea how to contain her itchy self for the night.
She is on antibiotics and pain meds, Benadryl as needed for itching. Doesn't seem to do much for her though... she's a little nut job as always. :rolleyes2:
She can't have any steroidal meds because of her surgery yet, so the next few days are going to be challenging, to put it mildly.

Any ideas on how to cover her neck somehow, or how to keep her from worrying her stitches (other than me not going to sleep tonight))?
And how often can she have Benadryl? I know the dosage, but I don't know how often it is safe to give it to her... and I forgot to ask my vet. :oops:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 4th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Can you put a t-shirt on her and snug it up around her belly so she can't reach her stitches? Or shorts on her or something?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » August 4th, 2010, 9:11 pm

They can have Benedryl every 8 hours. You might try socks on her feet so she can't scratch? I use booties on Trouble when necessary.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » August 4th, 2010, 9:13 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Can you put a t-shirt on her and snug it up around her belly so she can't reach her stitches? Or shorts on her or something?

I second this. Maybe a turtle neck which could cover her neck and belly?

Also you can give benedryl up to 3x a day.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » August 4th, 2010, 9:16 pm

They tried booties at the vet, and she started to eat on of them... :rolleyes2:

I don't know what's worse... the scratching of the neck, or the licking of the stitches. Her feet AND teeth need to be ... immobilized... somehow. :crazy2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » August 4th, 2010, 9:19 pm

You might try the Bach's Rescue Remedy I recommended to Suzanne today. It will help calm her. She may have a nervous thing going on because she just visited the place that she didn't like not too long ago. Remember? In a cage 24/7 until you came along... It might take you a bit to get Bach's to your home, though, so I think Liz's recommendation of tight clothes should work for now.

Benadryl is good too...makes them sleepy....anything that calms the worry...
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » August 4th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Unfortunately I couldn't find a small turtle neck in Sepps closet, and Faust doesn't wear them - he thinks they're too girly. :giggle: :wink:

She's okay as long as she's next to me... crap, I guess I'll sleep on the couch tonight and get her something to wear and the Bach's Remedy tomorrow morning.

Angie... she's *naturally* hyper, and she NEEDS to be busy. I don't think she was stressed from the vet visit at all, but the "crate rest for 3-4 days" might send her over the edge... lol

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » August 4th, 2010, 9:41 pm

I am just throwing this out there but could you vet wrap her belly like I had to do with Kinzyl when her incision came open. That way she can't get to her incsion. I know it needs to have air but at least for the night until she looses interest in the stiches. I don't know if you remember but I will try to find the picture of Kinzyl when I had to wrap her up.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyChick » August 4th, 2010, 9:50 pm

amazincc wrote:Angie... she's *naturally* hyper, and she NEEDS to be busy. I don't think she was stressed from the vet visit at all, but the "crate rest for 3-4 days" might send her over the edge... lol

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Can you keep her occupied with a chew or toy? I like Missy's idea of wrapping her for the night.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » August 4th, 2010, 10:26 pm

You can always just stay awake and pet her - it works for Troubs. :nono: The minute you doze off she's licking again - uhhh :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » August 4th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Remember the concoction Liz used for Inara's mom? Would that help and maybe vet wrap like Missy suggested?
airwalk
I live here

Postby pocketpit » August 5th, 2010, 2:47 am

If she has a mild case of demodex, NO steroids at all, surgery or not. It could make her demodex worse. A t-shirt may work to cover her belly but other than socks or a turtle neck I'm out of ideas for her neck.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » August 5th, 2010, 3:15 am

pocketpit wrote:If she has a mild case of demodex, NO steroids at all, surgery or not.

Ooooh, good to know! One of the vet techs mentioned steroids for the itching in a few days... :?
Thanks, Dawn... I will definitely mention it when we go back to have her stitches removed (if she leaves them in, that is... :rolleyes2: ).
Right now she's passed out next to me... ON the couch. :shock: :nono:

lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amalie79 » August 5th, 2010, 11:24 am

We use Rescue Remedy on occasion-- it can sort of take the edge off, but doesn't really calm our pups down, as in, doesn't make them less hyper, just less anxious. What does work for us is valerian and chammomile. We use Richard's Organics Pet Calm. They sell it at PetCo-- I'd be cautious about giving it with other meds (might be fine, but I'd google it or call a vet that would know), as valerian is surprisingly strong stuff. But it damn near knocks Robin out, and that is saying something! It also has a little sugar and hops in it, making it apparently very, very tasty.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » August 5th, 2010, 11:38 am

Why can't she wear a cone? Rubbing on the demodex spot? In that case, maybe you can use a roll of gauze (it breathes, while covering the area) and gauze the hell out of it, and put the cone on top? Oh you'd tave to tape the sides of the gauze so it doesn't move around, you can get that tape at your vet, I find that the drugstore medical tape is waaay too sticky...

And, licking of stitches is worse than scratching. Licking may mean no stitches left, infection in the wound, possible wound dehiscence, and a return in surgery. Not good.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » August 5th, 2010, 6:24 pm

amalie79 wrote:I'd be cautious about giving it with other meds (might be fine, but I'd google it or call a vet that would know), as valerian is surprisingly strong stuff.

Valarian intereacts with TONS of stuff!! So I'd stay away from it unless you want to give me a detailed list. (And some cats can react to it like cat nip)
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby call2arms » August 5th, 2010, 10:29 pm

There's nothing wrong with a cat getting high on valerian. Cat crack. lol
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » August 5th, 2010, 11:12 pm

call2arms wrote:There's nothing wrong with a cat getting high on valerian. Cat crack. lol

I didn't say there was anything WRONG with it!! Just stating a fact. Let the cat get high on whatever it wants. :P
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health