Quite a mess

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amalie79 » August 6th, 2010, 9:03 pm

We've had a hell of a day-- aside from Simon having some terrible stomach problems all over the house, our cat Birdie's allergies and goopy eye, and the usual issues, Robin has managed to tear herself up.

She frequently shoots out into the yard and just barrels through whatever's in front of her, and gets the odd scrape on her legs or belly.

Well, today she got a big scrape on her head. It's not really bleeding; looks more like road rash. I wiped it with some sterile gauze and put some neosporin on it. That's what I do with the others, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks there's something else I should be doing.

To add to that, her nose started bleeding, too. Just one nostril. It's not gushing out, and when she snorts and sneezes, it's not really spraying out (it did the first couple of times, but has slowed down significantly); we iced it and applied a little pressure. It looked almost like she'd scraped it up-- like she'd run into a branch or something. We're keeping a close eye on it and if it starts really going again, gets worse, or if she seems otherwise weird, we'll take her to the e-vet. But I'm not sure if there's something else I should be doing...?

"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » August 6th, 2010, 9:47 pm

I think you did great. If its dripping steadily then take her in to the vet - if they think they need to they can cauterize it or apply topical epinephrine.

Crazy dog!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amalie79 » August 6th, 2010, 10:16 pm

Thanks-- just needed some confirmation.

She's a nut.

I'm keeping an eye on her energy level and gum color, etc. It's not gushing by any stretch, or really even dripping-- just needs to be wiped once in a while. I'm going to try to keep her quiet and still. I have no idea what kind of time frame I should be working with here-- I've never had one of the dogs' noses bleed! I'm thinking that if it gets worse or she gets weird, we'll hit up the e-vet in the night. If the faucet's still on in the morning, I'll take her in at 8...?

At a bit of a loss, here...

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby pitsnok » August 6th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Oh gawd. Robin and Harlow are twinkies now. Harlow has a scar in the same spot on her forehead from Degan's tooth...only her wound was much deeper than that. She grows hair in that spot now, so it's not that all that noticeable. If I were you I wouldn't worry about that...just keep it clean.
And chances are she probably did just cut her nose so I'm sure she will be okay.
Silly girl.
And I'm sorry to hear about every one else's ailments, too!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » August 7th, 2010, 12:25 am

I think thats a good plan Amalie. I'd try to rest her for a few days to give the nose bleed time to heal up well, nothing that increases her blood pressure/heart rate. If you can ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » August 7th, 2010, 12:36 am

Ouch! :o

No advise, but I'm sending good thoughts... :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » August 7th, 2010, 6:16 am

pitsnok wrote:Robin and Harlow are twinkies now.

LMAO

Poor Robin! Hope today brings better things to your home!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » August 7th, 2010, 7:59 am

I went back to look at pictures of Harlow, and I think I can see their twinkie scar! :D It's really not very noticeable, though.

This morning Robin looks better-- the roadrash is developing into a scab. I've put a little bactine and neosporin on it and so far so good. The nosebleed seems to have stopped. As a result of her jackassery tearing through the yard like that, Little Miss got to sleep in the bed with us last night so we could keep an eye on her. :neutral: Sometimes I'm convinced this stuff is all an elaborate plan.

Simon's stomach issues are still up in the air; he's 15+, so I try to keep a close eye on him when these things happen. Worst of all the poor guy can't have his rimadyl, dasuquin, or bladder supplement. He's achy and incontinent without those things. Hopefully the chicken and rice, pumpkin and FortiFlora will get him back in shape quickly. If not, I think I have some anti-diarrhea meds left over from the last time this happened.

I've been half convinced everyone's getting sick just so that they're not left out of the car rides. First we had River's limp and xrays, then Chester's struvite blockage, then Birdie's goopy eye-- and let us not forget "Robin Ate a Corncob Watch 2010," (she expelled that, no worries :mrgreen: ) and finally Simon's ongoing arthritis and doggie alzheimers, plus the diarrhea. This has been a great month at our place!

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby amalie79 » August 7th, 2010, 8:08 am

Oh yeah-- and thanks for the advice!!

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » August 7th, 2010, 12:18 pm

I would be quite careful with Simon and the diarrhea, geriatric and young dogs are more sensitive and can be much dramatically affected by this kind of thing.

I'm glad Robin is feeling better :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amalie79 » August 7th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Malli wrote:I would be quite careful with Simon and the diarrhea, geriatric and young dogs are more sensitive and can be much dramatically affected by this kind of thing.

Absolutely. He hasn't had any BM of any kind since last night, but he hasn't eaten much in the last 24 hours either, so hopefully he's drying out on that end. I just don't want things to go the OTHER direction. He had a little chicken and rice last night and this morning; I added extra water, pumpkin and fortiflora. His appetite is voracious, but I'm not letting him eat large amounts. Gums are pink and skin is elastic. He's stiff, but he hasn't been able to take any rimadyl since Thursday night. He got his monthly adequan shot on Thursday, which does sometimes make him a little nauseous, so who knows.

Keeping a close eye on him...

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health