Shades Staph Infection

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » August 14th, 2010, 8:55 pm

I think Shades has a flea allergy resulting in a staph infection. He gets this infection yearly, so iit may not be fleas but just something in the air/environment.
Anyway, the last time he had it, I was given a bottle of Bactrim (sulfa) with instructions given 1/2 pill 2x a day.
Since I have a lot leftover from the last time, can i just do this again without taking him in to the vet?

I'm also considering starting him on Atopica for when he has allergies (not year round). When he's on benadryl, he takes 75mg twice a day for some relief but not much.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby plebayo » August 14th, 2010, 10:29 pm

I think it's something you could try. Obviously if it doesn't clear up the infection or it at least doesn't start looking better within a few days take him into the vet. I think for something like skin infections doing a little self treatment isn't going to be super harmful. One less trip to the vet to get poked and prodded!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » August 14th, 2010, 10:47 pm

It has worked for him before, so I'm guessing it should work this time. We will call the vet if it doesn't get better soon.

Once that's started working, I'm going to give Atopica. I have it here for Sidda and she's needing less now, so maybe it will help him too.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » August 15th, 2010, 3:10 am

If it was prescribed before for the same thing, chances are it will work. As far as I understand, for skin infections, Antibiotics should be taken at minimum for 3 weeks for a skin infection, often longer. I'd think if Shades has a response to them it would be after approx a week or so, meds for skin infections take a long time to work their way out to the skin.

As for the Atopica, I *would* make a vet app. for that. It is a serious drug, it is used in people as a drug to assist in Organ Transplant patients, it is a severe immuno suppressive and it would be worth paying the exam fee for your vet's knowledge.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » August 15th, 2010, 10:50 am

I agree with Mali on the Atopica. Trouble took the drug for a long while, and it does need to be administered with veterinary knowledge and oversight. Trouble has been off Atopica since her cancer Dx. There is a warning on the package insert that it is contraindicated for dogs with prior tumors, so keep that in mind when making the decision to use it. The dog needs to be monitored and the drug stopped if any type of tumor develops.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » August 15th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Will do. Thanks for the advice. :)
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » August 15th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Allie, I have no advice but I just wanted to send you and Shades a hug :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Return to Nutrition & Health