Hives

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby FAB dogs » December 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am

My sister's pit mix suddenly broke out into hives last night. We couldn't find a cause for them. He just came in from outside and the itchy bumps started appearing. Anybody every have something like this happen with their dog? Is there a root cause or is it just random? She gave him some benadryl to get him through the night and will be seeing the vet today. Just wondering if this is something that can be a regular thing or if its just a random episode.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » December 23rd, 2010, 10:56 am

FAB dogs wrote: Just wondering if this is something that can be a regular thing or if its just a random episode.

It can be either. If it turns out to be a one-time thing for the dog, I wouldn't worry too much. If the dog keeps getting hives, you're going to have to narrow everything down to find the cause -- environmental, food, etc. Could be the time of year and whatever vegetation may be in the yard, could be a new food (or an old food that the dog has become allergic to), might be a new laundry detergent used on the dog's bed, etc, etc.

Either way, benadryl is a good thing to keep handy for both humans and animals in the house.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » December 23rd, 2010, 11:35 am

Could be an old food that has new ingredients, and dog food companies don't have to update the ingredients on the labels for six months. How long after he had eaten did it start?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » December 23rd, 2010, 12:38 pm

more then likely its something he touched.

Oscar recently had a bout with severe hives. I wracked my brain and couldn't come up with anything; after 24 hrs on Benedryl I have a wicked vet who had me up the Prednisone he already takes which REALLY helped, like a ton. And then, they came back again! :neutral:
So, this is after almost 3 days and after almost 2 days of steroids :shock:
We noticed the hives because he does this "running slide/scratch" on his bed or the carpet, and they were very low key, but they were back! As I was examining him, I found a flea.

He hasn't had fleas in years, so in his case, a now hightened allergy to them was the highly likely cause :|
The only other time he's had them was after playing on a school field that was wet and had just been fertilized (I didn't really realize), and those subsided after a dose of a different antihistamine and wipe down with a damp cloth.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health