Vocal Shades

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » December 28th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Shades has always been a pretty talkative boy. He's the dog who lets out long dramatic sighs when getting comfortable. Lately, I've noticed he's been a LOT more vocal. He sighs, grunts, and groans loudly and often. It's usually when he's lying down, shifting around, when one of the other dogs snuggles up to him, when he's stretching or getting up from a nap.

I've been a little bit concerned that his increased "talking" could possibly be a sign that he's getting older and maybe even hurting? Like when you're stiff from sitting in one place a long time.

I don't think he is necessarily showing any other signs of pain, but was hoping people might have some ideas on how I could tell if he's just being a drama queen or if it's something more.

Regardless, I am starting supplements. I have Missing Link for Sidda, so everyone is getting it now. Are there other things I should think about giving the boys now that they're seniors (they're like 7.5 y/o)?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby plebayo » December 28th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Fish oil/Omega 3's have very good anti-inflammatory properties and have been known to help with arthritis pain.

This link kind of talks about benefits:
http://k91training.tripod.com/id27.html
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » December 29th, 2010, 6:14 am

Fish oil also helps with the immunity. Almost all the tripawd osteo dogs are on it. I'm not remembering the exact dosage by weight, but Trouble gets 1200u twice a day and that is just a little shy of a full dose, she's about 55 lbs.

I was giving it to her only once a day before I found the actual dosage, and I can tell you I could see a difference once she was getting the increased amount. I also started Duke on it to see if I could get the shine back in his coat.

I give them the same capsule I take because it is easy, but a lot of folks swear by the Salmon oil in a pump.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » December 29th, 2010, 7:11 am

Not to be funny, but I understand how Shade's age might be making for more talking. I swear, I find myself letting out a *sigh* when I first get up, after sitting for a long time.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » December 29th, 2010, 10:21 am

iluvk9 wrote:Not to be funny, but I understand how Shade's age might be making for more talking. I swear, I find myself letting out a *sigh* when I first get up, after sitting for a long time.

EXACTLY.

I just hope he would tell me if he was in actual pain. He gets around fine, so I won't worry too much for now.

I think I will head out to Sam's Club and pick up some Fish Oil-- unless it goes bad quickly? I can't remember. Shades is about 45#s, is there somewhere I can look up a dosage? I thought the fish oil caps I used to have were like 1000u. I'll look into it.

Thanks!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health