Holy cow.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amalie79 » February 6th, 2011, 10:20 am

I've been overfeeding the girls. By a lot. :doh:

You'd think that with all my crazy-person charts of calories per cup, grams per cup, cups per bag, price per cup, price per dog per day and so on, that I'd have bothered to weigh the cups.

A cup of Nature's Variety is around 95grams. The so-called "cup" I use is 135g !!! :shock: At 2 "cups" a day, they've been getting almost an entire extra cup of food. Like 4-500 calories more. :oops:

I'm hoping this finally explains why River can never lose weight and Robin (40 lbs) won't gain weight with her constantly soft stool (even though she's fed the same as River, who is 70lbs). I just kept upping her food, when I should have been decreasing it.

So I guess the moral of this story is, if you have a kitchen scale-- actually use it as a scale and not as a pot stand.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 6th, 2011, 11:19 am

:giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » February 6th, 2011, 11:31 am

They look nice as pot stands :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amalie79 » February 6th, 2011, 11:35 am

mnp13 wrote:They look nice as pot stands :|

Exactly! It's been so functional as a pot stand, I never even thought to, ya know... weigh stuff. :|
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 6th, 2011, 12:18 pm

well, except the pot evidently.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby HappyPuppy » February 7th, 2011, 12:06 pm

I have a neat OLD one as a pot stand. The modern electric one stays handy on top of the microwave! I use it for EVERYTHING!

I keep thinking I'm going to post Ruby's weight jorunal. Wish I kept more qualifying notes in it than just dates and weight but it's really intereting to see it in writing. I started 2 or 3 years after we got her so it's not complete but every time I weigh her, I write it down and whether it's am or pm. It has helped me to confirm what weight I like on her by visual look and pound # comparison.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 7th, 2011, 3:43 pm

I just eyeball the food. Well first I eyeball the dog, THEN I eyeball the food. Amount changes every day depending on treats and stuff during the day, and how big the chicken back was for the AM. And Teeny is FINALLY losing weight!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Nutrition & Health