Strange lip spasm?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amalie79 » March 27th, 2011, 10:32 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34476

Dogs with Horner's can lose muscle tension in the face-- Simon's eyeball would sort of fall back into the socket, which made him look a little scary-- and he required artificial tears on occasion. From what I understand, though, some dogs will go slack and look like they've had a stroke (as Simon did), then after a while, the reverse happens and you see what Suzanne mentioned-- the tightening of the muscles. They sort of swing one way or the other or both.

But the bottom line is that it's a neurological condition where they lose muscular control in the face. The good news is that it's not painful for them (at least that's what I was told, and Simon never seemed bothered). I just had to warn visitors that he was not a zombie dog. :neutral:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 27th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the link.

I'm hoping the neurologists will have some ideas tomorrow but I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, as this is a favor they were doing and may not get a chance to discuss tomorrow... just depends on how the meetings go.

It hasn't seemed to have happened since Friday. (not while I've been with her, anyway)
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 30th, 2011, 6:59 pm

No news from the neurologist. He basically watched the video and said he can't make any conclusions without full neuro exam. We're not going to do that at this time. Things seem normal for now.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » March 30th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Thinking of you guys....
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » March 30th, 2011, 8:16 pm

My boss obviously hasn't seen the video, or your dog, but I asked him about lip spasms and he said it's usually just a nerve issue - like the horner's syndrome and that he has seen it before. So again, hopefully it's just a pinched nerve of some kind that doesn't mean there is another problem brewing. Just something simple. Sending good thoughts.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 31st, 2011, 5:39 am

Thanks for the input and good thoughts.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health