Ms. Piggy has a new dish

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2011, 2:00 pm

It is to help slow her down when she inhales her food. :giggle:

It is called DuraPet Slow Feed and I love it. It takes at least 3x as long for her to eat her meals. The bottom is a thick rubber so it doesn't slide all over. Stainless steel inside. She spills a little, but that's okay with me. :dance:

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 3rd, 2011, 2:06 pm

Very nice! I was contemplating getting one of those for Inara but then she finally slowed down when I began floating her food. Glad it slows Ms. Linguine down!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » July 3rd, 2011, 2:12 pm

That's a cool dish! I've thought about doing something like that for Seth but I just add water to his food... it doesn't exactly slow him down but it stopped him from puking his food back up lol.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2011, 5:16 pm

Adding water never helped her slow down. She is, as I remember the slang from childhood..."a gavone".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 3rd, 2011, 6:17 pm

Score has a Break-fast bowl...similar, but it has three protrusions in the bowl, and it's NOT rubber bottomed, so he has to really work to get his food out. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » July 3rd, 2011, 6:34 pm

We need one of those for our cats. Faye eats too fast and then pukes all over the place.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2011, 6:50 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Score has a Break-fast bowl...similar, but it has three protrusions in the bowl, and it's NOT rubber bottomed, so he has to really work to get his food out. lol

I chose the rubber bottom because as you can see, I have ceramic tile floors and I couldn't take the noise of the other dish as she scraped it along...getting every edge clean.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby AllAmericanPUP » July 4th, 2011, 5:22 pm

great idea!
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby pocketpit » July 5th, 2011, 8:32 am

Score has a Break-fast bowl

Eve has one too and I love it. She has to eat out of that or her Tug O Jug. Neither one of those work well for Indie since he's an idiot and just gets so excited he munches the plastic :rolleyes2: I need one of those metal dishes!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 5th, 2011, 1:00 pm

My Vet frowns on plastic dishes. Not for the chewing factor but the germ breeding factor.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » July 5th, 2011, 1:54 pm

I wonder if they make one small enough for Sammy. I don't know if he could get his fat face in something like that. :nono:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » July 5th, 2011, 3:31 pm

They come in three sizes and I got the medium because she has a small face and schnoz. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pocketpit » July 5th, 2011, 4:45 pm

I prefer metal dishes too, Eve's Break-fast bowl is the only thing I own that is plastic. If I could ever get a metal Break-fast type bowl, I'd be in heaven. Eve is so bad that Miss Piggy's style dish wouldn't slow Eve down enough. I think I'm going to use a timer one day and find out just how fast she manages to finish her dinner even with her special bowl. I know it doesn't take long.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 5th, 2011, 6:24 pm

pocketpit wrote: I think I'm going to use a timer one day and find out just how fast she manages to finish her dinner even with her special bowl. I know it doesn't take long.

:giggle:

Once Sismorphine/Alyssa suggested using a flat cookie pan with the little edge or washing a big, round, smooth stone and putting that in the middle of the dish. Maybe those would work for you until you got the "real thing". :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 6th, 2011, 5:41 pm

pocketpit wrote:I prefer metal dishes too, Eve's Break-fast bowl is the only thing I own that is plastic. If I could ever get a metal Break-fast type bowl, I'd be in heaven. Eve is so bad that Miss Piggy's style dish wouldn't slow Eve down enough. I think I'm going to use a timer one day and find out just how fast she manages to finish her dinner even with her special bowl. I know it doesn't take long.

Yeah, I have a plastic break-fast bowl for Score...they do make metal ones now...but I have put that purchase on the backburner for now.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Tubular Toby » July 6th, 2011, 7:23 pm

I have a plastic slow feed bowl for Toby, but we hardly ever use it anymore. He either gets his meal in a kong or earns it through clicker games. But if I ever needed a bowl again, that one much looks MUCH nicer than the one I have!

I have this one and it's worked out pretty well.
http://www.petco.com/product/115743/PET ... -Bowl.aspx
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby pocketpit » July 7th, 2011, 5:54 am

Eve's dish looks very similar to that only better made. Here's the link http://www.petmountain.com/product/bowls-dishes/11442-517317/skid-stop-skid-stop-slow-feed-bowl.html

I timed her tonight and she still manages to inhale 2.5 cups of food in 1minute 30 seconds flat :rolleyes2:
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 7th, 2011, 7:10 am

pocketpit wrote:Eve's dish looks very similar to that only better made. Here's the link http://www.petmountain.com/product/bowls-dishes/11442-517317/skid-stop-skid-stop-slow-feed-bowl.html

I timed her tonight and she still manages to inhale 2.5 cups of food in 1minute 30 seconds flat :rolleyes2:

Wow...She would have beat Darlene with that time. :shock: Maybe you should dress her up as a person and enter her in our Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2011, 7:52 am

lol...try the Treat Stik for their dinners. I'm trying to slow down Stone, my lunk-head pit bull foster pup...I put the Treat Stik with 2 cups of food in his crate last night. About 8 hours later, he still hasn't gotten every bit of kibble out. He's a bit thick in the head.

TheRedQueen

Postby pocketpit » July 7th, 2011, 5:34 pm

She has a tug -a-jug that I use at work to keep her busy in her kennel. I don't use it at home because I don't care for the loud platic banging all over. I replaced the rubber rope/stopper piece (because naturally it doesn't last long) with a golf ball that keep the food from just falling out. I've never timed her or anything but I'd guess that it takes her between 15-30 mintues to get all of the food out.
Does the treat stick have a pretty sturdy outer casing? I recently bought her a treat ball that turned out to be a joke. She cracked that plastic like it was nothing. I would have expected that out of one of my Pit Bulls but not her.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health