puffy eye?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » July 25th, 2011, 12:53 am

So I noticed Degan's right eye looking a little bit puffy last night, but didn't really think much of it. It just looked like he was tired, which is to be expected because friday night Tanner and I didn't get to bed until 5am... But today it's a little puffier, kind of pink on his eyelids, and it was a little bit watery. His eyeball looks normal--not pink or anything unusual that I could see, and his left eye is normal, too.
I also noticed his right nostril seems to be a little bit runny--nothing extreme, just barely runny.

I'm not sure if I should just assume its allergies because I would expect both eyes to be affected it if was, right?

Anyway I'm just wondering how long you guys would wait before giving the vet a call (assuming it doesn't get worse of course). I can try to get a picture of it, but since he is so dark it will probably be next to impossible to see.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » July 25th, 2011, 1:05 am

hmm, I think may be worth a vet visit. *sounds* a bit more then allergies (but then again, allergy reactions are very individual, and I haven't actually seen him.
Is it a hard or soft swelling?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitsnok » July 25th, 2011, 1:16 am

It's soft. It doesn't seem to hurt him or anything other than being annoyed that I'm touching his eye, haha.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 25th, 2011, 6:29 am

Can't abscessed teeth cause nose and eye issues as well? I agree with Malli - probably worth giving the vet a call. Dogs can also get pink eye.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitsnok » July 25th, 2011, 6:46 am

It seems to be itchy... He was pawing at it earlier, but like I said his eyeball isn't pink so I don't think it's pink eye. Also it is just 'tears' or whatever you want to call them coming out, no gunky stuff. The swelling seems to be mostly in his bottom lid.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 25th, 2011, 8:00 am

Poor guy. :( I would have waited 24 hours and then brought him to the Vet, if he was mine. :) Especially if he is trying to itch it. He could scratch his cornea or something. :dance: Maybe a bee sting or bug bite?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 25th, 2011, 8:26 am

Did you look up inside the eyelid? Inara now has a small growth on the inside of hers...so she will get one runny nostril and a red irritated eye...on the one side.

Also, he could have scratched the eye or gotten something in it...if you can't get to the vet soon, try some eye wash.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » July 25th, 2011, 2:20 pm

I did look inside his eye as much as he would let me, and nothing seemed unusual. Today it actually is almost completely back to normal so I'm hoping it was just an allergy issue. All of them have been extra itchy and things lately so it would make sense!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health