Shedding?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 30th, 2006, 3:00 pm

In the past week Haven has shed enough of his hair to make another dog! It's ridiculous! I thought it was because of his food change, but he has been on Innove for, what, at least 2 months now. Then, I thought, maybe it's him loosing his winter coat. But, it isn't spring yet. This is too early, isn't it for Mass?

I have been brushing him. I vacuum him. I brush him some more. I even lint roll him! I use the brush attachment on the vac. I have given him a bath. I didn't shampoo him the second time just so that I wouldn't irritate his skin. I bought a whatchamacallit shedding thing and have been using that a couple times a day for about three days now. It is a metal loop with handle that you "rake" his fur with to get the dead hair out.

Should I be worried that this hair loss might mean something else? He still has soft stools. He always has. He has been dewormed and I had another fecal done when he was finished just so I could completely rule those little buggers out. His ass stinks to high heaven! I was feeding him the puppy Innova at first and when I asked my pet food guy what to feed him because of the soft stool he just gave me a bag of the adult Innova. It hasn't changed anything. I don't know what to do with this stinky, shedding, soft stooled puppy!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » January 30th, 2006, 3:08 pm

change his food from innova to something else..maybe its the food doing it..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » January 31st, 2006, 10:42 pm

Yes, I'd also recommend trying a different food.

I have fed Innova, both the puppy and the regular dog kibbles, and I found they are a bit rich for my dog. I used to mix the Innova with California Natural kibble and she did better on that. I fed Canidae and she did great on it, I tried Wellness and it gave her the runs. I now feed her both the Timberwolf and the Nature's Variety supplemented with raw and she's doing great.

Maybe adding some salmon oil would help, too? Just a little at first and the same with changing foods, do the switch slowly. It takes at least a month for the food change to show a difference. Hope this helps!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby pLaurent » February 2nd, 2006, 2:42 pm

I feed Chloe Wellness, and her shedding is so minimal that even a going over with a hound brush gets little hair out.:)
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health