Pet Poison Helpline

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Purple » November 5th, 2006, 11:35 am

Owners who are concerned their dog may have been exposed to a poison, should immediately call a veterinarian or poison control center for information. If your dog is unconscious, having difficulty breathing or having seizures, you should go to your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately. Be sure to bring along the suspected toxic material and anything your dog has vomited.

Be prepared to report your dog’s breed, age, sex, weight and signs of poisoning. Also, it is helpful to have as much information as possible about what your dog might have eaten or been exposed to.

Twenty-four hour emergency veterinary toxicology services are provided by the ASPCA-Animal Poison Control Center, the first animal treatment-oriented poison center in the United States. The service fee is $50. For information, call (888) 426-4435.

You may also call the Pet Poison HELPLINE at (800) 213-6680 for information. This 24-hour service, offered by the Safety Call Pet Poison Control Center, has a $35 consultation fee, but follow-up contacts are free. Additionally, most veterinary diagnostic laboratories associated with veterinary colleges have toxicologists on staff to assist callers. The Web site for information is: lab_list.htm.
User avatar
I live here
Posts: 5115

Return to Nutrition & Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users