How to Make a dog Vomit

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » January 9th, 2006, 6:11 pm

FIRST: IF IN DOUBT, CALL YOUR VET. There are some poisons / items that are best left in the dog. Inducing vomiting could cause further damage in some cases. Most vets will tell you over the phone to induce vomiting or not. The following info all came from my vet after Ruby decided to snack on a bottle of ibuprophen.

In the case of ibuprophen it always a 'make them vomit', as the longer the pills sit in the stomach the higher the risk for gastric ulcers and/or renal damage.

If you just watched your dog gulp down a pair of underware or a rat (and you know who you are!) and you'd like them to return them to you, follow the simple steps outlined below!

1. Feed the dog a nice big bowl of food so it has some extra 'stuff' to throw up. In the case of pills this makes it more probable that that all of the pills will come up. In the case of other nasty stuff, it gives the dog more volume to help things come up easier (important when you need to get bones or plastic to come up)

2. Give them a nice big bowl of water mixed with milk or broth so that they will drink a LOT of it.

3. Use a medicine dropper - sold at any pharmacy for giving kids medicine - to give the dog 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. Three teaspoons = 1 tablespoon. Hold the dog's mouth open and stick the dropper in their throat, then hold the dog's mouth shut to force them to swallow.

4. Back up and wait.

You MUST have 'fresh' hydrogen peroxide for this. To test your HP, put a little in your mouth, it should fizz immediately. If not go get a new bottle. The HP will fizz when it hits the dog's stomach, your dog may foam at the mouth for a bit and vomit a little. DO NOT bring your dog in after the first 'spit up'. Until they have really heaved a few times they are not done. It can take about 15 minutes. If they have not vomited in that time, give another tablespoon of HP.

One bowl of food turned into three large piles of vomit because the food expands a good deal in the stomach. If you bring the dog in too soon you WILL be sorry!!!!

Don't let the dog eat or drink for a few hours or they may vomit it up again. I let Ruby drink and vomit a few times to clear the bad taste out, so we just stayed in the yard for an hour or so.

Be prepared for lots of dirty looks from your dog.

Michelle
Last edited by mnp13 on January 19th, 2006, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby turtle » January 19th, 2006, 12:33 am

Don't forget about salt!!!

Hydrogen Peroxide works very well, but if you are in an emergency situation, salt will make them vomit, too. About a teaspoon of salt in the back of the throat will make them puke, so that's good to know if you don't have the hydrogen peroxide.

Powdered mustard and warm water will also make them vomit, but not everyone has that on hand. But everyone has salt.

Dogs will chew up and swallow some of the darnedest things so it's good to know how to make one puke it back up. Much cheaper than a vet visit, too. And if the dog has swallowed something they can't pass, then there is the risk of a blockage. It's much better of you can make them vomit before the foreign object goes past the stomach and into the intestines where the chance of a blockage is greater.

And if they've eaten something sharp...

Another thing to keep in mind if your dog has eaten something sharp and it's too late to have them vomit or too risky. In that case you want to help it pass through with as little damage as possible. Feed your dog some cotton balls soaked in milk or broth. Those will wrap around the sharp object and help protect the intestine. It really does work. Some mineral oil or olive oil will help lubricate things, too.
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby lmhn96 » February 7th, 2006, 7:21 pm

I used the hydrogen peroxide on my little Tinker about 4 months ago. She got on the table where I put my morning coffee and meds and ate a Zoloft
and a Tranxene. She went on the first teaspoon after about 3 minutes. So, I don't put meds there anymore. Hell, I don't have those meds anymore. Could use some though. :prescription:
lmhn96
Just Whelped

Postby Neimo » June 9th, 2006, 11:51 am

Just wanted to say thank you so much for the thread. My English Mastiff, Apollo, ate 3 phentermine (weight loss) pills at 11am. I didn't freak out but knew that I had to do something. A vet visit is a trial because he hates to be in the car. And the funds would be lacking right now. So I got on here because I remembered seeing something about inducing vomiting. I found this tread and did the Hydro Perox treatment. It took almost a half hour to work but he finally threw up (luckily I had just fed him breakfast before he ate them anyway). He threw up about three times. I've brought him back in the house as it's raining out. Not sure if he will throw up again but I don't care if he does it on the floor. I'm just happy he did. It was so hard to stay calm about it! But he seems to be fine now, a little less than perky but chewing on a toy. I am going to keep a good eye on him for the rest of the day just to make sure he's ok. I did check the vomit to see if I could find the pills but i didn't. However, as they were the last things he ate after a big bowl of kibble I assume since he threw up everything else that they would have had to come out! At least I hope so! Anyway, long story, sorry. Just happy that I could come here and find such a simple way to do what needed to be done! THank you!!!
Brooke
Neimo
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » June 9th, 2006, 2:39 pm

I'm glad it was useful to you and that your dog is ok!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby satanscheerleader » June 21st, 2006, 11:38 pm

Well, Patches just ate a half a jar of raisins. Dumb ass. The salt hasn't worked. James went to pick up hydrogen peroxide and we'll see if she projectiles or not. :o
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby rockermom » June 22nd, 2006, 7:26 am

THe hydro peroxide worked for Rocky when he ate chocolate cupcakes. THis was months ago but just wanted to reasure that it worked. You will also need a syringe (spelling) to squirt it down throat or turkey baster. Vet said a tablespoon wait 10 min. if does not vomit in ten min give another dose. Good luck if you have to give another dose. So I think I would give just a slight bit more to be sure dog vomits first time. I had to offer chese and when he opened his mouth squirted in. Boy was he pissed. Put him in the crate and he vomited whole cupcakes in like 9 min.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » June 22nd, 2006, 8:05 pm

Yup. She puked. Daemon thought it was the best thing going! lol We've got mass oral syringes because all Raven's meds are liquid. I definitely got a load of dirty looks from Patches. lol
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » June 24th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Glad to hear it's worked for all those naughty doggies. Timing is important, you want to get them to puke as soon as possible after they eat whatever they should not have eaten. My neighbors just lost their lovely little GSD mix pup because they left some pills where she could get them and she ate the 40 pill bottle. I guess they did not notice right away, until she started seizuring and was rushed to the vet's where she died. Poor pup, they are devastated that this happened...

Yes, it may be a good idea to give them a little extra hydrogen peroxide. Once you give them some and then you have to try to give them a second dose they are wise to what you are doing and do not want that nasty stuff down their throats. I had not thought to tempting with cheese and then squirting the peroxide down the throat, I bet he'd be pissed! I do remember it was a struggle to give my dog a second dose when the first did not make her puke. I got plenty of dirty looks too.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » May 23rd, 2008, 12:10 am

Also, if products that are petroleum-derived are swallowed such as petroleum, petroleum condensate, gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene, crude oil, lubricating oils, that may have leaked onto their fur or god knows how, DO NOT make them vomit. You need to get to your vet and have a gastric lavage done, vomiting can result in lung aspiration of the products which can damage the lung tissues.

Heck, anything you need to know is in the bible: http://www.merckveterinarymanual.com :D
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby xrayspex27 » January 7th, 2011, 1:43 am

Does neosporin fall into the "do not induce" category? My Skeeter just ate half a tube, and the tube itself. :/
xrayspex27
Just Whelped

Postby call2arms » January 8th, 2011, 3:24 pm

I'd be worried about the tube, was it metal or plastic? Also I'm not sure if Bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin can be toxic in doses contained in the tube. If your dog starts vomiting, having diarrhea, looks painful/tneder in the abdomen or stops eating, go to your vet.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » February 8th, 2012, 12:38 am

Also: DO NOT use dish soap to induce vomiting (I know, who would do that? But it's been done!)

It works for vomiting, but the chances of aspiring soap foam into the lungs while vomiting profusely are pretty high.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Nutrition & Health