Taking pictures of dark dogs

Need some help with your pictures? Have some tips to share?

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2010, 4:36 pm

If you have a dark dog you've probably already experienced the frustration of trying to take pictures that don't have your dog looking like a big black blob...

Most cameras, even "point-n-shoot" have a button/option on them for exposure compensation. It's usually a little +/- symbol of some sort.

Your dog comes out black because the camera's light meter takes in all of the light over the whole frame and decides how to take the picture. Your dog is dark, but the camera uses an average so unless it is a closeup the picture will probably come out under exposed.

You want to tell the camera to let in more light than what it wants to; so you'll go + a few stops. You will definitely have to experiment.

You may also want to tun on the camera's fill flash, which is used for helping to compensate for back lit subjects but can also be used for this purpose.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 2nd, 2010, 4:38 pm

uh-oh :doh: Is this your way of telling me my dark dog pictures are under exposed ? :dance:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2010, 4:39 pm

No, she is telling ME because Truman always looks like a big black blob. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 2nd, 2010, 5:17 pm

How about a mostly white dog w/a completely black head??? Daisy always looks like "evil incarnate" w/either green/red or white eyes from the flash... :neutral: :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » January 2nd, 2010, 6:06 pm

iluvk9 wrote:No, she is telling ME because Truman always looks like a big black blob. :dance:
That's because Truman is a big black blob.... :|

Gotta love him. :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2010, 7:36 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:That's because Truman is a big black blob.... :|

Well, that too. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » January 3rd, 2010, 4:55 pm

LOOK! You can see my dog! Thanks, Michelle!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2010, 5:29 pm

are you picking on me? :squint: :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » January 3rd, 2010, 5:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:are you picking on me? :squint: :wink:

I thought I was thanking you? :tomato:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm

lmao

That's actually a nice picture - how about you share the settings you changed? And maybe also take one how the camera wanted to do it automatically?

I'll try to do a set of example pictures this week sometime.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Picture Tips