Snow Pictures

Need some help with your pictures? Have some tips to share?

Postby mnp13 » January 31st, 2010, 8:38 pm

I went out with all three dogs today to shoot a quick example of different metering to account for lighting in snow - but it is adaptable for other lighting as well.

All of the metering for the pictures was "spot" metering, meaning that the camera picked the lighting based on the center of the frame, which I put on the dog. I shot with my Nikon, but most "point-n-shoot" cameras allow you to pick your metering and every one that I've seen has a +/- button for exposure compensation. None of them have been retouched or altered except to put the numbers on them. Look in your camera's manual and see if there is a "bracket" setting, that's what I used for these shots. I did 9 pictures in a row, at full stop increments, most will let you do fractions which lets you fine tune

You can see how different the camera treats all three dogs - who are actually good subjects for this because Connor is relatively "medium" colored. It was cloudy so the light is very flat.

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 31st, 2010, 10:11 pm

LMAO The only one who looks happy about the photo shoot is Riggs!

Thanks for the handy tips too! ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » January 31st, 2010, 10:43 pm

Connor was pissed off that I stopped playing fetch with him, and Ruby was LESS than amused about being told to sit in the snow. She really wanted to chase squirrels.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » February 1st, 2010, 7:03 am

These tips are really helpful. :dance: I just point and shoot away. And my photos prove it. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » February 1st, 2010, 9:18 am

Nice write up!!

Riggs' face always makes me smile
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Return to Picture Tips