Chicken Jerky Warning

Postby fenella » December 21st, 2008, 8:39 pm

FDA Announces Warning about Giving Dogs Chicken Jerky

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST
U.S. Government Publications are NOT Copyrighted

Chicken Jerky Complaints

Preliminary Animal Health Notification

December 19, 2008

FDA Continues To Receive Complaints about Chicken Jerky Products for Dogs and Cautions Consumers

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues to caution consumers of a potential association between the development of illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky products also described as chicken tenders, strips or treats. FDA continues to receive complaints of dogs experiencing illness that their owners or veterinarians associate with consumption of chicken jerky products. The chicken jerky products are imported to the U.S. from China. FDA issued a cautionary warning to consumers in September 2007.

Australian news organizations report the University of Sydney is also investigating an association between illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky in Australia. At least one firm in Australia has recalled their chicken jerky product and the recall notification stated the chicken jerky product was manufactured in China.

FDA believes the continued trend of consumer complaints coupled with the information obtained from Australia warrants an additional reminder and animal health notification.

Chicken jerky products should not be substituted for a balanced diet and are intended to be
used occasionally and in small quantities. Owners of small dogs must be especially careful to limit the amount of these products.

FDA, in addition to several veterinary diagnostic laboratories in the U.S, is working to determine why these products are associated with illness in dogs. To date, scientists have not been able to determine a definitive cause for the reported illnesses. FDA has conducted extensive chemical and microbial testing but has not identified any contaminant.

FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs which may occur within hours to days of feeding the product: decreased appetite, although some may continue to consume the treats to the exclusion of other foods; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; and increased water consumption and/or increased urination. If the dog shows any of these signs, stop feeding the chicken jerky product. Owners should consult their veterinarian if signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours. Blood tests may indicate kidney failure (increased urea nitrogen and creatinine). Urine tests may indicate Fanconi syndrome (increased glucose). Although most dogs appear to recover, some reports to the FDA have involved dogs that have died.

The FDA continues to actively investigate the problem. Many of the illnesses reported may be the result of causes other than eating chicken jerky. Veterinarians and consumers alike should report cases of animal illness associated with pet foods to the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator http://www.fda.gov/opacom...ckgrounders/complain.html in their state.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » December 22nd, 2008, 5:28 am

I have a question, what KIND of illness?? Those are a broad list of symptoms.

and anyway, who feeds their dogs that much chicken jerky!?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » December 22nd, 2008, 3:03 pm

Malli wrote:I have a question, what KIND of illness?? Those are a broad list of symptoms.

We have a two year old golden ret client who has symptoms of kidney failure and the only thing they could pin point was the chicken jerky treats. Her values have gotten better but she definitely has some damage done.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » December 22nd, 2008, 4:06 pm

:crazy2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » December 22nd, 2008, 6:50 pm

Mallika, when I am at Costco (the big warehouse store, in case you don't have them near you) I see people buying big barrels of them for their dogs. Some people have told me they give "3-4 a day" as snacks. Oddly, it is always owners of small dogs.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » December 22nd, 2008, 9:05 pm

[quote="iluvk9"]Mallika, when I am at Costco (the big warehouse store, in case you don't have them near you) I see people buying big barrels of them for their dogs. Some people have told me they give "3-4 a day" as snacks. Oddly, it is always owners of small dogs.[/quote

Those Costco ones are the type that our client was giving her dog. Lots of people seem to over treat their dogs. :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby fenella » December 22nd, 2008, 9:34 pm

The Chicken Jerky treats sold in a bag at Costco are from China. I purchased them and had some left. Though I know it is a long-shot that anything would happen, I tossed them. Not worth taking the chance.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 22nd, 2008, 9:48 pm

fenella wrote:The Chicken Jerky treats sold in a bag at Costco are from China. I purchased them and had some left. Though I know it is a long-shot that anything would happen, I tossed them. Not worth taking the chance.

Yes, well you know how it is when you give people UNASKED for advice in the doggie aisle. :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » December 23rd, 2008, 5:17 am

iluvk9 wrote:Mallika, when I am at Costco (the big warehouse store, in case you don't have them near you) I see people buying big barrels of them for their dogs. Some people have told me they give "3-4 a day" as snacks. Oddly, it is always owners of small dogs.

yes, we have Costco here, too ;)

How odd that it was small dog owners :| :? I don't get that AT ALL.

I didn't see that they were jerky treats, I thought it was people chicken jerky :|
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » December 23rd, 2008, 7:11 am

Malli wrote:I didn't see that they were jerky treats, I thought it was people chicken jerky :|

And I didn't know they made Chicken Jerky FOR people. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » December 23rd, 2008, 8:43 am

:lol3:

I don't give the dogs ANYTHING made outside of the USA anymore. Not worth the risk. :nono:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby dlynne1123 » December 23rd, 2008, 2:37 pm

Malli wrote:I have a question, what KIND of illness?? Those are a broad list of symptoms.

This past summer we had to do two exploratories on dogs that had eaten chicken jerky and it wouldn't pass thru. In these two instances it caused a blockage. A Cairn Terrier and a GSD. These two clients learned the hard way...aparently it doesn't break down as fast as it should. I have also seen irritable bowel complaints from it too. These dogs are fairly finicky to begin with though.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » December 23rd, 2008, 3:54 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
Malli wrote:I didn't see that they were jerky treats, I thought it was people chicken jerky :|

And I didn't know they made Chicken Jerky FOR people. 8)

neither did I until this thread?!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby delilahsmommy » December 25th, 2008, 3:15 am

they have all kinds of jerky for people... even alligator...
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » December 25th, 2008, 5:33 am

Marinepits wrote::lol3:

I don't give the dogs ANYTHING made outside of the USA anymore. Not worth the risk. :nono:

:| what about us canadians? We don't make the grade? :sad2:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » December 25th, 2008, 9:32 am

You Canadians make great beer! :wink: :D

I don't think I've seen any dog food items made in Canada in stores around here. Not that I've read on labels, anyway. :?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ellie@ny » December 25th, 2008, 6:48 pm

OK ..I feed this brand for the past 2-3 years,but I only give like 1-2 each dogs/day/and not every day/in their kongs.I just bought a new bag this past weekend...
So I shouldn't feed it now? :|
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » December 25th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Marinepits wrote:
Like Jen said, is it worth the risk :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies