Good Thoughts For Earl Today

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » June 14th, 2007, 8:25 am

Well, I just dropped Earl off this morning for his ACL surgery. We decided to go with the surgeon in Rochester after all based on the recommendations of multiple vets and a few owners that have used him as well. Earl is looking at 4 months of crate rest before he will be able to do anything again so it is going to be a tough summer for all of us. I've built a ramp off of the front porch and am converting the dining room into his new bedroom since he has to be on the first floor. Tonight I have to put down some temporary carpeting since he can't be on hardwoods at all. I didn't think it would be hard to drop him off this morning but I had to get out of the office before I started to tear up (these dogs are turning me into a sally boy).
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2007, 8:36 am

Sending good thoughts his way. Please let us know how he is as soon as you find out!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » June 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Good luck to you and to Earl
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 14th, 2007, 8:47 am

What time is his surgery and how long does it take? Are you able to pick him back up tonight? Please update as soon as you hear anything!

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » June 14th, 2007, 8:57 am

Earl will stay at the vets for a few days depending on how he recovers. The surgery will take a few hours to complete. They have to actually cut a piece of his bone out in the knee area, rotate it around and then reattach the knee back together with a steel plate. The procedure actually changes the slope of the knee and eliminates the need for ligaments all together by changing the angle at which force is applied to his knee.

On June 14 2007, pitbullmamaliz wrote:What time is his surgery and how long does it take? Are you able to pick him back up tonight? Please update as soon as you hear anything!

maberi

Postby Marinepits » June 14th, 2007, 9:20 am

Keeping good thoughts for Earl and for you! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2007, 9:50 am

On June 14 2007, 7:57 AM, maberi wrote:Earl will stay at the vets for a few days depending on how he recovers. The surgery will take a few hours to complete. They have to actually cut a piece of his bone out in the knee area, rotate it around and then reattach the knee back together with a steel plate. The procedure actually changes the slope of the knee and eliminates the need for ligaments all together by changing the angle at which force is applied to his knee.

Wow, it kinda sounds like what they're going to do to my knee....at any rate, I have a good friend who had the same surgery done on her dog. It's been about 5 months, and while she still tries to be careful when she takes her in the woods, and still tries to keep her from running a lot, it has healed beautifully....

I really hope the surgery is successful, and, again, please let us know as soon as you've heard from the dr.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » June 14th, 2007, 11:38 am

I will be thinking about Earl all day. :)

Damn Labs....I just love them.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby sw_df27 » June 14th, 2007, 11:59 am

sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » June 14th, 2007, 12:15 pm

Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2007, 1:16 pm

I'm sure he'll be fine, please keep us updated!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » June 14th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Lots of good healing vibes for Earl!!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 14th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Prayers and good thoughts.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » June 14th, 2007, 9:35 pm

with all the work done in surgery, I think its great that he is staying to recover. He'll be able to get pain control as he needs, and if he doesn't feel like drinking or eating his IVF will keep him well hydrated :thumbsup:

Some things to help comfort you : they wouldn't do the surgery on him if he wasn't healthy, so as a healthy dog he will be able to recover much faster, and the vet who is doing the surgery is board certified (a higher level of surgeon then average) and will have done many of these before, so he'll know the "routine" of the surgery.

I think its great that you are able to do this for Earl.

I'm sending good thoughts as well and please do keep us updated :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Judy » June 14th, 2007, 10:13 pm

Good thoughts for Earl!
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 14th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Where the hell is Maberi? I want my update on Earl!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » June 15th, 2007, 12:49 am

Sending tons of good vibes to both of you!!!
How's Earl doing?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby maberi » June 15th, 2007, 8:14 am

Well I spoke to the dr. last night and Earl's surgery went very well. He said that there were no complications during the surgery and that all the post op tests were ok as well. Earl spent the night on an IV and they administered pain meds as needed. I'm going to call again today to get an update on him but assuming no complications arise he should be able to come home on Saturday :)
maberi

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2007, 8:15 am

Awwww, good news!!! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » June 15th, 2007, 8:25 am

see? worries for nothing! yay Earl :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health