Probiotics

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » July 22nd, 2007, 9:31 pm

For those of you who use probiotics, what brands do you recommend?

Also, my mother was told to use probiotics and was also told to switch brands each time she ran out because they each can affect different things. Has anyone heard anything about this regarding dogs and probiotics?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby DemoDick » July 22nd, 2007, 11:31 pm

We use Jarro-Dophilus.

Whatever you go with, make sure it is shipped and stored refrigerated. Anything that claims to have "active cultures" that is shelf-stabilized is junk.

I've never heard anything about switching them up. There's no need to do this with people and the mechanism is the same in dogs, so I don't think there would be any need to.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Malli » July 22nd, 2007, 11:32 pm

I know there are lots of different strains of acidopholus :|

I've used acidopholus, and purina fortiflora for Oscar. The fortiflora is great because he at least likes the taste of it, so it just goes on his food and down it goes...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » July 23rd, 2007, 7:44 am

I use "Holistic Solution" by Eagle Pack
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » July 23rd, 2007, 11:17 am

Are probiotics used for good measure/preventative maintenance or specifically for 'something' ?
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » July 23rd, 2007, 2:35 pm

My vet suggested the forti flora for Oscar when he had really irritated intestines(mucussy diarrhea), our thought was that he might have bacterial overgrowth...
I imagine there are a few different uses.
A probiotic would also be great after surgery (when gut motility is low), and especially after Gastro Intestinal surgery...

A doctor I know and really respect started using it(fortiflora) with her dog and says her allergies are much better since. She mentioned something called leaky gut syndrome where the intestines become swollen and damaged (from Giardia etc)and don't break down food enough before sending it into the body, so the food sent into the body sets off an allergic response. She seemed to think a lot of dogs actually have this and it comes out looking like allergies.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby randi81 » July 23rd, 2007, 4:43 pm

I use Rite-Aid brand Acidophilus that the pharmacist gave me out of the fridge. :D
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 23rd, 2007, 5:27 pm

Harleybird is my pukey-boy and for more than a year he has been on Vetri-Science's Acetylator. It also has pepsin, papain and bromelain for digestion.

As for having to switch probiotics, I never heard of that, and I worked in a health food store for years. Maybe they meant to switch between types of probiotics such as lactobacillus strains and various bifidobacterium?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby luvmypitties » July 23rd, 2007, 9:37 pm

We used to use something called Dynapro which was for horses but we used it on the hunting retrievers at my old job.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Marinepits » July 23rd, 2007, 9:37 pm

Solgar Advanced Acidophilus
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » July 23rd, 2007, 9:41 pm

Thanks for the list, guys! I've been using some left over Probiotic that my friend gave me . . . and dumb me I threw it out before I wrote down the name. All I know is that it was a damn expensive bottle and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

After having been on the probiotic for about 3 weeks Teeny's tear stains have drastically reduced, as have her cheesy feet and dirty ears. I'd say that probiotic is magic . . . perhaps almost on par with Harry Potter and break sticks . . . almost . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby luvmypitties » July 23rd, 2007, 9:45 pm

Can anyone explain the probiotics? I think I understand but not sure.
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Malli » July 23rd, 2007, 9:50 pm

probiotics are generally positive digestive bacteria. It is believed that they help maintain the healthy balance in the gut and digestive system and associated system; for instance, many people believe they help control yeast overgrowth, which among other areas of the body, primarily inhabits the reproductive tract, colon, and gastrointestinal tract.

For instance, people often take probiotics after a course of antibiotics (antibiotics kill ALL bacteria, negative or positive), so people take probiotics after to help the good bacteria get a leg up on the bad bacteria regrowth.

Thats how I understand it anyway.

Anyone else know more? :|
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby luvmypitties » July 23rd, 2007, 10:19 pm

So people can take it as well? I wonder if it would be a good thing for me? I have some kind of IBS, I get sick everytime I eat, everytime. Where do people get it from?

And where do you get it from for the dogs?
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 23rd, 2007, 10:52 pm

On July 23 2007, 9:19 PM, luvmypitties wrote:So people can take it as well? I wonder if it would be a good thing for me? I have some kind of IBS, I get sick everytime I eat, everytime. Where do people get it from?

And where do you get it from for the dogs?

My mom gets hers from the local natural grocer. I was advised to use the human probiotics on the dogs with the adult dosage.
SisMorphine

Postby Malli » July 24th, 2007, 1:06 am

I think probably more forms and strains of probiotics are available for people then animals. I asked a Doctor at work and she said that there isn't really an overdose, they are pretty safe.

If you have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome?) you'll want to make sure the ones you take are dairy-free, I think?
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health