WHAT TO DO WHEN ANIMAL CONTROL COMES KNOCKING

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2007, 3:19 pm

On March 08 2007, 14:13, Big_Ant wrote:Fair enough. I had no idea that this was a topic of discussion previously.

I personally have no issue with the topic though, just with the way it appeared that you came off at the end with saying that you wouldn't discuss it.

Ok, we're good. Thanks!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » March 8th, 2007, 7:05 pm

This is just so bizarre and sad to think about. I don't even GET the term "anti dog enforcement". I don't know where this exists. Most the people I've EVER worked with and met pay for dog meds out of their own pockets because of underfunding. I've not met an ACO who is what I would call "anti dog" and the ones I know all have their own dogs!
I have no idea where this dude (first article) is but this is so...just bizarre to think about. I can't imagine it, sorry.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby TinaMartin » April 18th, 2007, 4:03 pm

I am sooooo glad that Gator is loved by ac and the local cops. They all know him and love his goofy attitude.
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TinaMartin » June 1st, 2007, 8:17 am

What a lovely way to say hello to the new neighborhood. I guess they don't believe in communication just paranoia
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby gayrghts » August 17th, 2007, 6:30 pm

My Harley has been on the end of our ACO's rabies pole.... because he escaped and Kevin, the ACO caught him that way.... lol

then Harley led Kevin to my front porch, and the foster puppy Phoenix followed along.... was not real funny to see Kevin the ACO on my porch with harley on the stick and phoenix.... but it was all good....

Kevin also rents my garage and mow's my lawn.... in trade... :)

good thing to keep your ACO close by :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Remington » August 20th, 2007, 10:06 pm

It's easy to say you won't let AC in, but when they are there, and want in, they can say anything they want. It's a fine line if you let them in, or make them even more mad.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby gayrghts » August 20th, 2007, 10:10 pm

On August 20 2007, 9:06 PM, Remington wrote:It's easy to say you won't let AC in, but when they are there, and want in, they can say anything they want. It's a fine line if you let them in, or make them even more mad.

Yes and when they start saying stuff that sounds legit its scarier....

I always figure if you have nothing to hide.... let them in, if there's something to hide.... keep them out till they have proper paperwork... and and in the meantime get rid of what you have to hide.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Remington » August 20th, 2007, 10:15 pm

I agree. I thought that too....
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » August 20th, 2007, 10:42 pm

On August 20 2007, 9:06 PM, Remington wrote:It's easy to say you won't let AC in, but when they are there, and want in, they can say anything they want. It's a fine line if you let them in, or make them even more mad.

But unless they have that piece of paper they have no legal right to be in my house. They can say whatever they want to say to me. And they can get as mad at me as they want. I KNOW my rights and I refuse to be intimidated. I have nothing to hide but they still have no business in my home. If a judge decides they have enough evidence on me for a warrant, so be it. Otherwise See Ya! :greenWave:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 21st, 2007, 2:33 pm

On August 20 2007, 22:06, Remington wrote:It's easy to say you won't let AC in, but when they are there, and want in, they can say anything they want. It's a fine line if you let them in, or make them even more mad.

They can say anything they want to, and they probably will. Officers are taught how to say the right things so that you will do what they want you to do without a fight (verbal or physical).

I don't think they can enter your home without a warrent or without evidnece that a crime is being committed, but we'll have to wait for Demo or the other LEO's to clarify that.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » August 21st, 2007, 3:53 pm

On August 21 2007, 1:33 PM, mnp13 wrote:
I don't think they can enter your home without a warrent or without evidnece that a crime is being committed...

They can enter by force, if they have "reasonable belief" that a crime is being committed while they're there... at least that's what our local cops told me... no warrant needed, if that's the case. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » August 21st, 2007, 3:56 pm

It also depends on whether the ACOs are sworn peace officers or sworn police officers or have some other status -- in some states, their ability to act in certain situations differ.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Remington » August 21st, 2007, 5:05 pm

Well...what I was told, was that they looked through a window when I wasn't home, saw a crate, and decided that was enough to convince a judge to give a search warrant. It's a lot easier said than done. I don't really want to go to jail. I was also threatened with a year in jail for every animal I had if I didnt cooperate. And actually...it wasn't me they were after.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby gayrghts » August 21st, 2007, 6:16 pm

On August 21 2007, 4:05 PM, Remington wrote:Well...what I was told, was that they looked through a window when I wasn't home, saw a crate, and decided that was enough to convince a judge to give a search warrant. It's a lot easier said than done. I don't really want to go to jail. I was also threatened with a year in jail for every animal I had if I didnt cooperate. And actually...it wasn't me they were after.

I believe you Erica, you know i do, but.... i can't believe that evidence of a crate woudl be enough to issue a warrent....
I have 2 or 3 crates on my front porch (spare parts)
and I have 2 crates visible from the front door....

Kevin my ACO knows i crate my pups when i'm not there.... he also knows they are my kids and get treated wonderfully... and he is the first to say, without crates the dogs would be in danger...
Heather

- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Remington » August 21st, 2007, 6:29 pm

Basically...there is a lot they can say. I am not saying they are accurate, but I am saying, its a difficult line to draw. They may not see something that is actually evidence of abuse, but they can use pretty much anything against you. I know there was a lot that wasn't accurate, and thats why an attorney got involved.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » August 21st, 2007, 8:37 pm

Having a crate is evidence of what??? That you don't want your dogs fighting/eating the couch/abuse their phone privileges/etc. .... while you're not home???? :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » August 21st, 2007, 8:44 pm

Just a reminder --

We have quite a few law enforcement officers and animal control officers as members on this board. Please be respectful of that fact.

Thank you.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » August 21st, 2007, 8:46 pm

So... what about the crate question? It's evidence of what? I have three, and they are visible through my kitchen window... sometimes w/a dog in it.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Remington » August 21st, 2007, 8:51 pm

On August 21 2007, 7:46 PM, amazincc wrote:So... what about the crate question? It's evidence of what? I have three, and they are visible through my kitchen window... sometimes w/a dog in it.

They told me that was enough evidence to get a warrant. I do not have a restriction of dogs I can have though. I am just saying, becareful because there is a lot that can be said.
Remington
Snot Nose Bully Pup

PreviousNext

Return to ACO Questions and Answers