Looking for a Pitbull-friendly apartment in Michigan

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby loverundercover » November 24th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Ok, all these new "no pitbull" acts are really crashing down in Michigan. I live in a small town called Grand Haven (it used to be called "Coast Guard City USA"). We have to have pitbulls muzzled and harnessed and have a valid I.D. just to walk our dogs. I live in a nice neighborhood with my mother.
The time is coming soon to find a place of my own, since I'm attending community college this spring. I'd prefer to live in Holland, West Olive, or Muskegon. All apartment have "no pitbulls" restrictions. How do I get past that? Do I really have to buy a house? What should I do? Please help!
loverundercover
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » November 24th, 2007, 3:00 pm

Are you bringing all the puppies with you? :shock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » November 24th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Check with local vet hospitals and shelters/rescues and ask if they have lists of pit-friendly apartments. Many times vet techs will know of landlords who are pit-friendly.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby gayrghts » November 24th, 2007, 5:15 pm

On November 24 2007, 2:00 PM, iluvk9 wrote:Are you bringing all the puppies with you? :shock:

well she'll never have the ability to adopt them out if she lives in such a pit unfriendly world....

so i guess she'll have to bring them with her....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby amazincc » November 24th, 2007, 5:28 pm

How do I get past that? Do I really have to buy a house? What should I do? Please help!

You don't.
Yes.
Spay/neuter any pit bulls in your/your friend's/family's possession and do not have ten or so puppies in a place where they aren't' welcome in the first place.

Did that help? :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby loverundercover » November 25th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Alright, when I go to the vet I will ask about the pit-friendly homes. I think I may have just been at the wrong places for pitbulls though. Most pitbulls are fought in Grand Rapids, maybe the vet got spooked because he was aggressive with her (well I don't blame him she just walked in and messed with his bad leg). She probably thought we fought him and that was an injury he received while fighting. Now, I'm trying my old vet (we used to take my beagle mix to), and she's fine. She's been attacked by dogs before, even once a Pomeranian. And says, no dog is specifically vicious, it's just how you handle them. She's perfect for a vet, and very smart.

Next, the puppies are almost all set. I have over 20 offers, a few I got off petfinder.com, because I put Hurshey on there (which I declined all offers saying he was no longer being sold), they asked if I had any others, and I said I am expecting a litter. They're all interested (about 10). I know a few close friend of the family, that have had experiences with dogs, know about pitbulls, that also would like to adopt. All said they'd like the puppies immediately after they're weaned.

So, the dogs I'd have in my home are: Hurshey (15 months), and a female puppy from the litter. Hurshey is getting neutered soon :( I really don't want to, but I guess it's healthier for him and doesn't lead to unexpected things. My female will be spayed as soon as possible.
loverundercover
Just Whelped

Postby gayrghts » November 25th, 2007, 11:25 pm

Its really important that you keep the pups together for a couple weeks after they are weaned.... pups learn from each other, and from their mom a lot in that first few weeks....

I'd not let any go before 8 weeks, and 10 weeks is more ideal.... some people keep them till 12 weeks...

As an example.... I think that Harley was taken from his littermates and his mom to early.... one example of this is that he has no clue that walking on the other dogs, and on us people is wrong.... and or bad or painful.... he sits or lays on the other 2 dogs all the time.... sure they nip etc at him, but he doesnt seem to learn... the way i'd think he should.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby loverundercover » November 26th, 2007, 12:21 am

Yea taking them too early COULD cause a problem. I thought maybe, just maybe, 8-10 weeks they'd be ready to sell. I always hear 8 weeks, but I don't think it'll be easy for me to let them go.
I think Hurshey was either trained VERY well by me and my fiancee, or he was left with his mother a while. He's extremely obedient. I met the breeder's mother (Hurshey's mom), and she was very beautiful, very obedient, and Hurshey was very mean. Do you think dogs know who their parents are? 'Cause he just wanted to growl the whole time. Maybe it's the jealousy, or the breeder he didn't like.
So all in all, leave the pups together. Should I leave the mom with them even if she ate the first litter? Or do you think she understands now? I hear you should keep the male dogs away (fathers) or the mothers will eat their puppies... Do you think I should keep Hurshey at home, and not take him up every weekend to see Diamond anymore?
loverundercover
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » November 26th, 2007, 1:24 am

Would you mind continuing this in Health and Behavior so it gets the proper attention? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » November 26th, 2007, 10:54 am

On November 25 2007, 11:21 PM, loverundercover wrote:Yea taking them too early COULD cause a problem. I thought maybe, just maybe, 8-10 weeks they'd be ready to sell. I always hear 8 weeks, but I don't think it'll be easy for me to let them go.

By law pups can not be sold until they are 8 weeks old and have had their second set of shots (you give the first set at 6 weeks; 2nd at 8).

I typically let my pups go at 8 weeks, and don't like to keep them further (honestly, you'd think you wouldn't want to let them go...but by 8 weeks you want them out of there!!!)

Also, by 8 weeks, they've had the full benefit of being with the littermates, and keeping the pups together longer doesn't really add anything.

Also, keep in mind, even if someone wants the pup right after it is weaned...they will be weaned at 4.5-5 weeks old. DO NOT LET THE PUPS GO AT THIS AGE. They haven't even had their first set of shots, and it is against the law.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » November 26th, 2007, 11:00 am

Law here is 7 weeks. Contact local animal control offfice to see what the laws are in your area. I wouldnt say what breed your puppies are as it is not a concern, just that you want to know the law.

Here I got the law changed to 7 weeks old and enforced it in all of our local advertisements. My mom works for the newspaper so that was easier. They no longer place ads for people selling pups under 8 weeks. I dont think there is a law about required vaccination here though. So ask animal control about that too!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Marinepits » November 26th, 2007, 11:28 am

:topic:

There are several threads about the pups in the Nutrition and Health section -- please keep the puppy talk there. :wink:

On Sat, Nov 24 2007, 12:39 PM, loverundercover wrote:Ok, all these new "no pitbull" acts are really crashing down in Michigan. I live in a small town called Grand Haven (it used to be called "Coast Guard City USA"). We have to have pitbulls muzzled and harnessed and have a valid I.D. just to walk our dogs. I live in a nice neighborhood with my mother.
The time is coming soon to find a place of my own, since I'm attending community college this spring. I'd prefer to live in Holland, West Olive, or Muskegon. All apartment have "no pitbulls" restrictions. How do I get past that? Do I really have to buy a house? What should I do? Please help!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Living with your Pit Bull