15 minutes to manners on leash

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby kyliestar » January 29th, 2008, 5:07 am

i'm going to try this if i can find a prong collar.
my dog leads me using a gentle leader, and i've heard too many bad things about choker collars.
i've never seen a prong collar in australia though.
kyliestar
Just Whelped

Postby kyliestar » January 29th, 2008, 5:13 am

okay, i've just had a look around the web, and it seems that the state i live in, is the only one that prong collars are illegal.
i also read that in other states, that it says that if yr dog is harmed using the prong collar from plunging forward, you used it at yr own risk.
my dog is very dog aggressive, and will do anything to try to get off his leash whilst walking him, i'm wondering if there is any chance of injury with that level of aggression using this collar?
if so, i might try to get a collar and walk him near my house where i can keep an eye out for other dogs and take him inside if any come along.
he's starting private training soon, so hopefully i can work his aggression out of him.
kyliestar
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » January 29th, 2008, 8:26 am

On January 29 2008, 4:13 AM, kyliestar wrote:okay, i've just had a look around the web, and it seems that the state i live in, is the only one that prong collars are illegal.
i also read that in other states, that it says that if yr dog is harmed using the prong collar from plunging forward, you used it at yr own risk.
my dog is very dog aggressive, and will do anything to try to get off his leash whilst walking him, i'm wondering if there is any chance of injury with that level of aggression using this collar?
if so, i might try to get a collar and walk him near my house where i can keep an eye out for other dogs and take him inside if any come along.
he's starting private training soon, so hopefully i can work his aggression out of him.

Hi There,

What state do you live in?

Even if they're illegal, I can pretty much guarantee they're being used anyway. If you use them the right way, they don't harm a dog.

The biggest risk you run into with using a prong collar on a dog aggressive dog is if you don't have a good prong collar (Herm Sprenger steel collars WITHOUT the quick release are the best for your case) it can "spring" open (links bend on cheaper collars) and your dog will still get to another dog.

I would not, however, put a prong collar on a dog aggressive dog, then think it's the magic trick to getting him to ignore other dogs. Other dogs are a huge distraction to a dog aggressive dog, and dog aggressive dogs should only be taken around other dogs once a strong level of obedience is put in place.

Your first step, therefore, will be to put some high-level obedience on the dog, where it's focus is on you. Once the obedience is there, and it is "proofed" you can start adding in other distractions, but you need to start at a distance. Eventually, obedience will override other drives...however, the key for you will be to give a command before your dog gets a chance to lunge. Giving a command before he lunges puts him in obedience mode, then you can correct for breaking an obedience command. Without giving a command, then trying to correct for lunging...well, he's already in drive...so you're fighting that to get him under control.

In the end, obedience is obedience. Unfortunately, in extreme dog aggression, you never really break it...you just learn to control it...I think that right now, that's what you should focus on...

In addition, I would never use a remote-training collar (or e-collar) on a dog aggressive dog, and if your new trainer recommends that, I'd find a new trainer. Using an e-collar on a dog-aggressive dog may simply make the dog attack because of the following: DA dog starts to go after another dog. You "shock" the dog, which causes pain. Rather than associating the pain with a correction you gave (it's a remote correction, much different than that given with a prong collar) it associates it with the other dog...which just pi$$es it off, and makes it want to attack more...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby kyliestar » February 4th, 2008, 4:15 am

i had two trainers come in last weekend to evaluate my dog.. and it seems he isn't so dog aggressive as we thought.. he just isn't used to be around other dogs, he doesn't lunge, he just goes nuts and makes the high pitched staffy noise and tries to get off the leash, but they told me they have about 5 other staffys in their class right now, that were exactly the same in the beginning, and now they play together! so im very excited about what the results of the 10 week course i just enrolled him in. it's going to be a lot of work, but i'm up for the challenge! i couldn't stand having to have my baby put down.
oh, and they use the choker chains.. we've got a correctly fitted solid one for him, he starts his training on sunday! :)

and thankyou katiek.. yr information is similar to what the trainers taught me on saturday. i never thought he would learn so quickly, even the trainers said he was really smart. they said he was the first staffy they've seen that's not overweight. haha.
kyliestar
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » February 13th, 2008, 11:52 am

:clap: That's awesome for you both!
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2008, 1:00 pm

On February 04 2008, 3:15 AM, kyliestar wrote:i had two trainers come in last weekend to evaluate my dog.. and it seems he isn't so dog aggressive as we thought.. he just isn't used to be around other dogs, he doesn't lunge, he just goes nuts and makes the high pitched staffy noise and tries to get off the leash, but they told me they have about 5 other staffys in their class right now, that were exactly the same in the beginning, and now they play together! so im very excited about what the results of the 10 week course i just enrolled him in. it's going to be a lot of work, but i'm up for the challenge! i couldn't stand having to have my baby put down.
oh, and they use the choker chains.. we've got a correctly fitted solid one for him, he starts his training on sunday! :)

and thankyou katiek.. yr information is similar to what the trainers taught me on saturday. i never thought he would learn so quickly, even the trainers said he was really smart. they said he was the first staffy they've seen that's not overweight. haha.

I'm very happy for you!!! YAY!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby kyliestar » February 19th, 2008, 2:52 am

we started my dog on the training sessions but the other people there were scared of him.. he was being really well behaved! but they had all poodles and little dogs, so we're doing some private stuff and then getting him into a more adult class.
he's responding so well!
it's made me spend a LOT more time with him as well.
kyliestar
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior