Flying

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby rambler72 » January 24th, 2008, 6:37 pm

I noticed a post here that said do not tranq. before flight. I know it can make them agitated but.... what about a dog that will do whatever is in her power to get out of a crate. We tried everything to crate train her as a pup, but... like horses some that you just can't hobble this dog you cannot crate. What do I do when we move to Hawaii from the mainland. She is NOT being left behind.
Thanks!!
rambler72
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 24th, 2008, 6:47 pm

When are you moving?

And what methods have you used to crate train?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » January 24th, 2008, 10:16 pm

What she said...and you might want to invest in an aluminum crate..
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby rambler72 » January 30th, 2008, 2:49 pm

We have tried to crate train since she was tiny... we started out slow using it as her safe haven, here at work and at home. Left it open with her favorite blankets, chewy, toys. She was allowed to come and go. I would close the door but not latch it so she could push it open, we started with small amounts of time when the door would be latched, when she was quiet we would let her out. We have both the plastic crate and a steel wire full view crate. I have not tried the aluminum crates.
rambler72
Just Whelped

Postby rambler72 » January 30th, 2008, 2:50 pm

OOps forgot... we have till September then we will be leaving. She will be going with us!! LOL I must get her trained to be alright in the kennel.
rambler72
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » January 30th, 2008, 3:01 pm

On January 30 2008, 1:49 PM, rambler72 wrote:We have tried to crate train since she was tiny... we started out slow using it as her safe haven, here at work and at home. Left it open with her favorite blankets, chewy, toys. She was allowed to come and go. I would close the door but not latch it so she could push it open, we started with small amounts of time when the door would be latched, when she was quiet we would let her out. We have both the plastic crate and a steel wire full view crate. I have not tried the aluminum crates.

I can PROMISE that NO dog will get out of an aluminum crate...

I would also work on latching the door with her in it while you're there...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Asta » January 30th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Oohhhh something i actually know something about :greenWave:

The reason that tranquilizers are not allowed to be used for dogs that will be flown is that they can have really averse reactions once in the air. There have been numeroous deaths.

Also, depending on which airline you fly you mayb just have to build a crate actually. We had to build one out of wood and steel and Guinness flew to Sweden otherwise AC and Lufthansa refused to take her on. The measurments and materials were very specified.

Picking her up at the airport

Day nr 2

Proudly in front

The doors

Water and food holes

Guinness was en route for almost 24 hours, landing in Germany first where the paperwork was "interesting". Then on to Stockholm where i drove down to pick her up.
She came out bouncing like nothing at all had happened which impressed the custom guys since most dogs are in a funky state mentally after having been shippied.
They were also curious what on earth was inside the cage since the only cage that had been bigger/stronger contained a Gorilla (or so they said anyways)
Guinness also, as far as i know, had no crate training prior to the trip. In fact, she did very poorly at the Humane Society being in a cage and we have never crated her since.

Goos luck!

Ã…sa

ETA And after you have managed to find an airline that will fly your dog, and you have made sure about breeds and crate requirements please do not forget to plan the trip from a weather stand point of view! Airlines don´t fly pets in the cargo area over and under a certain temp which rules out certain times of the year...
Another thing to look into is to see if there is a special hold area for the animal during flight. Some have climatized zones just for pets and they tend to get booked up quickly! Some also have staff check on the pets via cameras.

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » January 30th, 2008, 6:12 pm

On January 30 2008, 3:58 PM, Asta wrote:Oohhhh something i actually know something about :greenWave:

The reason that tranquilizers are not allowed to be used for dogs that will be flown is that they can have really averse reactions once in the air. There have been numeroous deaths.

Also, depending on which airline you fly you mayb just have to build a crate actually. We had to build one out of wood and steel and Guinness flew to Sweden otherwise AC and Lufthansa refused to take her on. The measurments and materials were very specified.

Day nr 2

Proudly in front

The doors

Water and food holes

Guinness was en route for almost 24 hours, landing in Germany first where the paperwork was "interesting". Then on to Stockholm where i drove down to pick her up.
She came out bouncing like nothing at all had happened which impressed the custom guys since most dogs are in a funky state mentally after having been shippied.
They were also curious what on earth was inside the cage since the only cage that had been bigger/stronger contained a Gorilla (or so they said anyways)
Guinness also, as far as i know, had no crate training prior to the trip. In fact, she did very poorly at the Humane Society being in a cage and we have never crated her since.

Goos luck!

Ã…sa

ETA And after you have managed to find an airline that will fly your dog, and you have made sure about breeds and crate requirements please do not forget to plan the trip from a weather stand point of view! Airlines don´t fly pets in the cargo area over and under a certain temp which rules out certain times of the year...
Another thing to look into is to see if there is a special hold area for the animal during flight. Some have climatized zones just for pets and they tend to get booked up quickly! Some also have staff check on the pets via cameras.

Ã…sa

Most US airlines will accept the plastic crates, but if you're worried about a dog getting out, they'll accept the dog in aluminum...

Also, as far as tranquilizers...there's another reason...hey affect dogs differently...some dogs might get completely knocked out, and if they do, and they get tossed around, they might get their noses wedged in a way where they can't breathe...if it only makes them woozy, then they can't "right" themselves...so if they get knocked around they could get injured...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby hugapitbull » January 30th, 2008, 7:51 pm

OMG, Asa
How interesting and the photos are too cool. I'd be terrified knowing I had to have Trouble in a box/crate for that long.

When we evacuated for the hurricane a couple of years ago, we had Trouble in the car for about 15 hours. Of course, we were able to walk her when necessary. She wasn't much interested in getting back in the car for the ride back :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Asta » January 30th, 2008, 9:16 pm

On January 30 2008, katiek0417 wrote:
On January 30 2008, 3:58 PM, Asta wrote:Oohhhh something i actually know something about :greenWave:

Day nr 2

Proudly in front

The doors

Water and food holes

Goos luck!

Ã…sa

Ã…sa

Most US airlines will accept the plastic crates, but if you're worried about a dog getting out, they'll accept the dog in aluminum...

Also, as far as tranquilizers...there's another reason...hey affect dogs differently...some dogs might get completely knocked out, and if they do, and they get tossed around, they might get their noses wedged in a way where they can't breathe...if it only makes them woozy, then they can't "right" themselves...so if they get knocked around they could get injured...

Blargh, there is a storm outside, so i woke up and here i am >(

Anyhoo, the fact that we had to get a crate like that for Guinness was purely because of breed. Which is why i am syaing check with the airlines what their guidelines for specific breeds are, if they even accept flying an APBT at all. It was more THEM worried about her getting out than us :|

And i was under the understanding that the whole tranq thing was because the effects of it changes on a high latitude. Plus of course as Katie say a dog may have a bad situation and noone will be there and help the dog.

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Asta » January 30th, 2008, 9:33 pm

On January 30 2008, hugapitbull wrote:OMG, Asa
How interesting and the photos are too cool. I'd be terrified knowing I had to have Trouble in a box/crate for that long.

When we evacuated for the hurricane a couple of years ago, we had Trouble in the car for about 15 hours. Of course, we were able to walk her when necessary. She wasn't much interested in getting back in the car for the ride back :shock:

Yeah it was a tad nerve wrecking...Especially since she wasn´t, as far as we know, used to being crated.
But also because she has some barrier aggression and can sound like bloody murder and look like Cujo before someone actually opes up the door, or whatever it is, and enters into her space. But we wrote a big note and put on the side where it stated that she can bark and sound mean, but that she is really actually very nice.

They had to give her a medical exam in Germany before allowing her to continue to fly, as well as a walk to relieve herself so she wasn´t stuck in that thing the whole time. And that apparently went with flying colours :)

I can only imagine that Trouble wasn´t too thrilled about hopping back in the car afterwards :)

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » January 30th, 2008, 10:40 pm

It sucks that pitties have to have a special crate...now, I will say, that most airlines will only fly Jue in an aluminum crate b/c he can break out of a plastic one...and, well, he's just vicious sounding...

Actually, funny flying story about Jue.

Greg was flying to LA with Jue, and it was before he got him an aluminum crate. Well, he put him in a vari-kennel, and they just made Greg come down to the tarmac to load him on to the plane, etc.

Well, on the way back, they're at their stop, and there is a call on the loudspeaker "would the owner of a dog on flight...please see your nearest attendant." Well, he just thought that they were going to have him come down to take him off the plane they were on, and put him on the other plane (they had to change planes) because that's what they had him do on the way to LA.

Well, he gets down there, and the guys are like "just go up this ramp, and we'll crack the door." They cracked the door, Jue sticks his head out, and just starts going off...then he realizes it's greg, and gets all happy. He chewed himself out of his crate, and was running around the belly of the plane during the flight. What's even funnier: a bunch of baby chicks also go loose, and he just hung out with them (didn't even eat one)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby madremissy » January 30th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I have a picture of that in my head and it makes me laugh. Jue sitting in cargo playing with a bunch of chicks while the plane is in the air. :backRoll:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Asta » January 31st, 2008, 6:30 am

On January 30 2008, katiek0417 wrote:It sucks that pitties have to have a special crate...now, I will say, that most airlines will only fly Jue in an aluminum crate b/c he can break out of a plastic one...and, well, he's just vicious sounding...

Actually, funny flying story about Jue.

Greg was flying to LA with Jue, and it was before he got him an aluminum crate. Well, he put him in a vari-kennel, and they just made Greg come down to the tarmac to load him on to the plane, etc.

Well, on the way back, they're at their stop, and there is a call on the loudspeaker "would the owner of a dog on flight...please see your nearest attendant." Well, he just thought that they were going to have him come down to take him off the plane they were on, and put him on the other plane (they had to change planes) because that's what they had him do on the way to LA.

Well, he gets down there, and the guys are like "just go up this ramp, and we'll crack the door." They cracked the door, Jue sticks his head out, and just starts going off...then he realizes it's greg, and gets all happy. He chewed himself out of his crate, and was running around the belly of the plane during the flight. What's even funnier: a bunch of baby chicks also go loose, and he just hung out with them (didn't even eat one)...

lmao What an inventive dog Jue sounds like! And i was giggling over here as well at the mental image of him having out with the chickens!!! Glad to hear that it all went well :)
That is a great story!

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » January 31st, 2008, 8:02 am

Well, pretty soon after that Greg got Jue the aluminum crate...but it's funny b/c Big Bad Jue isn't so big and bad with other animals...just humans. He's great with puppies, cats, kittens, baby chicks (obviously)...but yeah, it's pretty funny to think of him just hanging out with baby chicks...

I sometimes wonder if they imprinted on him at all and thought he was "mommy." lol

He got himself out of the vari-kennel by chewing through the TOP of it...Greg's not sure how, but he's assuming something fell on it that allowed Jue to get a piece of it....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Asta » January 31st, 2008, 8:33 am

It is adorable to picture him with his own petting zoo of various little ones :heartbeat:

And yeah, how on earth did he get the top off??

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » January 31st, 2008, 10:58 am

On January 31 2008, 7:33 AM, Asta wrote:It is adorable to picture him with his own petting zoo of various little ones :heartbeat:

And yeah, how on earth did he get the top off??

Ã…sa

Hehe....Jue with chickies!!! I wonder if I could photoshop something like that?

He actually chewed a whole through the top...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby rambler72 » January 31st, 2008, 1:38 pm

I think I will invest in an aluminum crate. I don't think the chick would have fared too well if Zila had gotten out. She plays much too rough. Thanks for the advice. Can you find aluminum crates at Petsmart/Petco or do they need to be ordered??
rambler72
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » January 31st, 2008, 1:45 pm

On January 31 2008, 12:38 PM, rambler72 wrote:I think I will invest in an aluminum crate. I don't think the chick would have fared too well if Zila had gotten out. She plays much too rough. Thanks for the advice. Can you find aluminum crates at Petsmart/Petco or do they need to be ordered??

No, they need to be ordered...they're a bit expensive (but WELL worth the investment, they'll last FOREVER).

This was the cheapest place I found for one:

http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-crates ... rates.html

And you'll note they actually have a lifetime guarantee on it ;)

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby rambler72 » February 6th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Thanks Katrina,
I am looking into them right now. We are going to have to begin her training soon so that she is comfortable in the crate.
rambler72
Just Whelped

Return to Living with your Pit Bull