VERY VERY disappointed

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 15th, 2008, 10:52 am

is Earl choking himself? :doh:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby maberi » July 15th, 2008, 10:57 am

Ha, yeah

He hates having his picture taken and was trying to put himself out of his misery :|
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 15th, 2008, 10:58 am

you're a bad father :nono:

leave that poor dog alone.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby maberi » July 15th, 2008, 11:05 am

At least I give my dog treats

Thread - Back on topic
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 15th, 2008, 11:08 am

yes i know, you give my dog treats too.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby SassyCassie » July 15th, 2008, 11:57 am

See, now Earl looks good. I hate those fat labs. Esp when they can't even walk without breathing hard. I love it when i go to some house and the 'guard dog' comes out, wheezing and barely able to walk. It's usually a lab. And I wonder what on earth the person is thinking letting their dog get that fat. The owner is solely responsible - it's not like the dog is buying the food at the store, ordering takeout or opening the fridge for a late night snack (and if they are, buy a fridge lock ;-)
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » July 15th, 2008, 1:28 pm

amazincc wrote:How do you guys define ideal weight? Exactly?

I don't think as much about weight as I do body composition. His best weight is the one that allows him to maximize physical performance. It's also the weight he "looks" best at, IMO.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 15th, 2008, 1:36 pm

ditto.

Layla isnt show quality, but she's definitely healthier now thats she's dropped some pounds. She's faster, more agile and performs better now that she's not carrying around 15 pounds of extra fat.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby DemoDick » July 16th, 2008, 1:18 am

LaylaWoobie wrote:ditto.

Layla isnt show quality, but she's definitely healthier now thats she's dropped some pounds. She's faster, more agile and performs better now that she's not carrying around 15 pounds of extra fat.

In my limited experience with Layla I have seen a definite increase in her overall level of energy, inquisitiveness and confidence. I think that has a lot to do with her leaning out. If you think about it, a dog who gets tired just moving around is going to appear less confident than the same dog who is agile and retains energy despite extensive exercise.

Layla is definitely NOT "show quality" and that's a good thing, IMO. All too often, "show quality" means that the dog LOOKS like what a middle aged, female dog hobbyist with limited working experience thinks the breed should look like. My favorite Pit Bulls are the rangy, game-bred ADBA types. My favorite labs are lean and mean (even with visible ribs) and ready to jump in the water to retrieve ducks WITHOUT tipping the boat. Form follows function and has since dogs were bred for purpose. Breeding to a phsyical standard is putting the cart before the horse.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TheRedQueen » July 16th, 2008, 11:52 am

Yup, "show quality" in my mind conjures up visions of short, fat dogs...no matter what breed is brought up. Add "lots of coat" if you're talking about a breed with coat.

I don't like "show" Aussies, BCs, or most herding breeds...I'll stick to the non-show dogs that can actually perform what they were bred to do. I like rangier pit bulls too...the short and wide syndrome affects them worse than many breeds!

All too often, "show quality" means that the dog LOOKS like what a middle aged, female dog hobbyist with limited working experience thinks the breed should look like.

And :giggle: that's often what middle-aged female dog hobbyists look like too...short and fat (usually minus the hair though...)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 16th, 2008, 11:54 am

I meant more that she's not technically purebred (apparently, Layla is part greyhound now :crazy2: ), not that she's not fit and healthy. But you're right, show dogs have become fat and gross.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 16th, 2008, 12:04 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:And :giggle: that's often what middle-aged female dog hobbyists look like too...short and fat (usually minus the hair though...)

I've seen some pretty hairy broads out there... :|
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 16th, 2008, 12:06 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:And :giggle: that's often what middle-aged female dog hobbyists look like too...short and fat (usually minus the hair though...)

I've seen some pretty hairy broads out there... :|

Well, I was thinking of the butch haircuts...but yeah, hairy elsewhere...yeah...I get that. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 16th, 2008, 12:07 pm

mmm I love me a woman with a mullet.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 16th, 2008, 12:08 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:mmm I love me a woman with a mullet.

*snort*

:mrgreen:

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » July 16th, 2008, 3:52 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote: But you're right, show dogs have become fat and gross.

Riggs just told me that next time he's at your house he's going to pee on your bed and finish on your couch.

>(
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 16th, 2008, 3:54 pm

he already has.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 29th, 2008, 11:05 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Yup, "show quality" in my mind conjures up visions of short, fat dogs...no matter what breed is brought up. Add "lots of coat" if you're talking about a breed with coat.

I don't like "show" Aussies, BCs, or most herding breeds...I'll stick to the non-show dogs that can actually perform what they were bred to do. I like rangier pit bulls too...the short and wide syndrome affects them worse than many breeds!

I took my sheltie to a UKC show this month and was thrilled when the final day judge put her up over 8 bitches and then put her Best of Winners over the male AM/CAN CH because he said she looks like she is the picture of a versitile working dog and could work out in a field all day long doing what ever job I asked her to. That she moved well and responded to me the way a working sheltie should.. never missing a beat or anything around her.. he quoted the versitility part of our standard ("shelties are an agilie, sturdy, versitile working farm dog") ..and finished it off with that she's a pretty, picture that's balanced and correct even though she's petitie.. I was thrilled to be able to tell him that she does work and is a great all around dog including in herding.. :dance:

I'm finding I like UKC more and more.. no frills.. no "make up".. and judges that actually respect a dog that can do what it was bred to do?.. Imagine that! :clap:
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby airwalk » July 29th, 2008, 11:23 pm

sort of off-topic..but what the hey...so you're telling me that if I get Magic fat and out of shape that he'll slow down, shut up and basically become manageable...Where the hell was this advise when I was ready to kill him???? You guys are suppose to be helping :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby Choncho » December 15th, 2009, 11:04 pm

i might not know much about breeds but whats with all the hate and gossiping about other dogs? :confused: sounds so retarted!
I am working on it.
Choncho
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Conformation