Can we talk raw feeding puppies?

Postby amazincc » July 18th, 2008, 4:20 pm

lol

Let me try to answer as much as possible...

You can give eggs, but you don't have to skip the meat on those days... at least I don't. I add either eggs, yogurt, some cottage cheese or fish on alternate days with the regular meal.

My Border Collie gets "human" glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. They seem to work well for her.

The claws on the chicken feet are soft... I know, 'cause I touched them. :shock:
I also had a half-chewed chicken foot tossed in my lap not too long ago, which wasn't as much fun as one would think. :puke:

Yes, they most definitely suck in their stomachs to make us feel bad/guilty. :rolleyes2:

If kibble AND RAW works well for you... carry on! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » July 18th, 2008, 4:55 pm

This is not the thread to read while eating pizza :shock:
airwalk
I live here

Postby luvypitbulls » July 18th, 2008, 8:37 pm

ok the half digested foot came flying out of Lister :puke:
that was nice!!! at least he made it into the shower bless his heart!

thanks for the help however I am going to try adding eggs next week I think we had enough "new" this week
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » July 22nd, 2008, 10:46 pm

I am going to try some frozen fresh sardines next week ..I am still giving them rock hard frozen food since no one said I should do otherwise ..I explain to them if they lived in Alaska and had to find food it might be frozen too!

I like that it slows them way down and seems to help Listers teething
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Tiger » July 27th, 2008, 1:24 am

I have been raw feeding for over 15 years now. I do not feed puppies any differently than I do the adult dogs, with the exception of softer/ground pieces to chew when they are younger than 6 weeks. And, then I start feeding chicken leg quarters by the time they reached 6 weeks of age. If the pup has big and strong enough teeth - they can eat the same exact things that an adult dog can just in smaller amounts and more frequent meals. I feed young puppies up to 4 months of age three meals per day. Then I switch to 2 meals a day until they are 10-12 months of age. After that, it is one large meal per day.

RARELY do my dogs get any veggies - perhaps carrots, snow peas, celery, or broccoli if I am eating them raw as a snack. Sometimes an apple slice when I am eating apples. If I eat oatmeal, or rice and cook too much - I give the left overs to the dogs. Other than that, they eat nothing but raw meats. Fish, pork, beef, chicken, turkey, emu, venison, squirrel (fresh roadkill), rabbits, goats - whatever I can get my hands on. They will eat ANYTHING. When possible, I feed them prey model style - whole/chunks with fur on. As far as organs go, I seldom feed any organs other than liver UNLESS it comes inside of a whole carcass that I fling into the back yard for the five dogs to demolish - and they literally look like a pack of wild wolves as they devour an entire goat, or small deer.

`Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 27th, 2008, 10:01 am

you feed your dogs roadkill?
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby luvypitbulls » July 27th, 2008, 10:19 am

I have a friend who feeds fresh roadkill too if she sees the animal hit she pulls over and picks it up ...

I can barely stand to ride with her when she does it but I love her and to each his/her own..I can not judge it is not like any of my dogs would not find a fresh roadkill yummy (if I let them) !

we are teaching Lister to fish :)
he does not really seem to put much effort into it that is for sure!

MMMMMM fishcicle!!!!!

these sardines are HUGE from US waters are about 6 to a package and end up being about 20 cents a meal! they have the guts inside... if you can find them I know Lister adores them! and Sardines have lots of calcium and omegas!

http://www.colesonfoods.com/product/sardines.php
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » July 27th, 2008, 11:59 am

I used to feed the boys sardines and they loved them :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 27th, 2008, 12:07 pm

Layla eats sardines, but I would never feed her road kill.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby Tiger » July 27th, 2008, 1:09 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:you feed your dogs roadkill?

Yep. I absolutely feed roadkill. Fresh road kill. I get a lot of my venison and most of my squirrels as roadkill. Most roadkill deer are sent to various zoos and animal sanctuaries for carnivore feed - but if you make nice with some of the deputies, you can occasionally get one for you dogs. I am not talking about bloated, 5 day dead in the sun by the side of the road smelly dead - I am talking fresh dead, usually still warm, because a car just got totaled by hitting them dead.

Squirrels are much simpler to come by. I see 2 to 3 of them hit by cars in my neighborhood (in front of me) every single day. It is very easy to stop the car, get out and grab the carcass, stuff it into a trash bag, then take it home and stick it into the deep freeze for a month before handing the body to one of the dogs. Wild rabbit, too. I have even had beaver, (once), and opossums, (a few times), wind up filling my dogs' bellies courtesy of being road kills.

How is it any different to feed an animal to my dogs that was killed by a car rather than feeding an animal that was either shot, or had its throat slit by a hunter, or a butcher?

Think about it - those road kill animals are going to be eaten by scavengers if left by the roadside. Why not feed them to my dogs when I can instead of leaving them for the scavengers?

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » July 27th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Tiger you sound like my friend!!! there is absolutely no issue to her about this an she sees it as recycling .I do not judge her at all! I just do not feel at ease riding with a bag of roadkill .but she gets so excited (she does a lot of rescue and her food bills are high ..she feeds all raw) I can not say anything but "wow what a score can you at least put that thing in the back of the truck and not on my lap!!!" then a lttle fake :puke: ing for effect ....I love her to death but the year a truck threw a dear on her hood and killing it instantly she brought it home ..trimmed off mangled parts fed those to her dogs ..then used the rest for herself and made a big for dinner ..I was put off..it seemed so freaking wrong.. ..but ...in retrospect ..I have seen people shoot deer and make a bigger mess of than that truck did ...

back to puppies I might be tempted to grab a leg for Phoebe and Lister ...if I saw a dear killed in front of me ..after I stopped crying that is :(

these sardines are such an amazing score money wise I have to say!!! I am going to cook some and see if I like them as well ..I adore fish and have never eaten a sardine not in a can ..if it is good enough for Lister I guess I could eat one too ...

and yes I eat chicken feet (in Dim Sum and in soup) I will really eat just about anything

roadkill just sounds so bad and we are all used to seeing the bloated,stinky or dried out ones ...if it was fresh and you see it hit? what really is the harm?
hey this economy sucks I am all about cutting corners so I do not have to work more hours !
maybe I will stop the next time I see an animal hit ...(most likely not but maybe)
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » July 27th, 2008, 2:54 pm

PS at $50 a month I am seriously considering giving up kibble in favor of complete raw diet ..these dogs eat well and love everything they eat all kinds of things out of my veg garden every day and I pretty much have a year around garden .....they also have not gotten sick from anything ...(except the one chicken foot Lister puked) he eats them like pretzels now

this costs right now at half the meals a day only $15 a month ..with the added $50 for the kibble ...if I double it I will save more by buying more bulk... or picking up roadkill :o (ok really I doubt it will happen but I am being open!) but I imagine I can spend $30 a month and get these dogs a feast of raw food ...

ok I am open to trying as long as I am not having to think too hard before I go to work in the morning..all I can manage is coffee myself
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » July 27th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Tiger is right. Meat is meat no matter HOW it dies. As long as it is frozen for a while to kill any parasites that may be lurking it is perfectly safe to eat. The highway patrol in South Texas used to give fresh highway killed dear to needy families in their areas. They took it to a processor & contacted the family & told them to pick up the meat when it was ready.

I gave up kibble long ago. It is just too expensive for me. I can get their meat for around 50 - 75 cents per pound & I cant get quality dog food for that.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvypitbulls » July 27th, 2008, 3:36 pm

ok after just picking up 9485729405 piles of poop in the yard (and I clean the poop yard and it is a HUGE yard...at least twice a week sometimes more!) ..when this bag of kibble is done our dogs are eating raw only !

that was just gross and the single thing I hate in life is picking up big piles of dog poop!!!! ..next to cleaning cat boxes
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Tiger » July 27th, 2008, 3:50 pm

luvypitbulls wrote:ok after just picking up 9485729405 piles of poop in the yard (and I clean the poop yard and it is a HUGE yard...at least twice a week sometimes more!) ..when this bag of kibble is done our dogs are eating raw only !

that was just gross and the single thing I hate in life is picking up big piles of dog poop!!!! ..next to cleaning cat boxes

That is the main thing I love about raw feeding. Even with 5 dogs, I seldom need to clean the poop more than once every week. With as dry as it is here in Dallas, and as small as the piles of poop are, they sort of just crumple up into dust and raking the yard alone takes care of the poop - it just becomes part of the dirt. My yard no longer stinks at ALL. There is no nauseating poop miasma hanging over my yard any more.

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » August 5th, 2008, 12:31 am

Lister had his well puppy check today ..My husband took him and he said he sat in the lobby just cocking his head looking around ..he is 5 months old right now ...I was not sure actually

he is eating a 3/4 raw diet now ..I just can not give up that little bit o kibble yet

Lister put on 7lbs ..my husband expressed his concern that he is always ravonous and looks as skinny as a junkyard dog with a HUGE head!

the vet told us not to worry ..he looked "great" and "you are doing things perfectly ..he is going to be like this for a while ..all the food you give him him right now just goes into building a dog"

I loved that and now Lister is not skinny ..he just has EXTRA large sized bones that are built on a very good diet :D Changing my perspective will help me resist the urge to fatten him up that is for sure!!!

Lister and Phoebe may very well be building a couple of dogs right now ..but they are also building a cow in the back yard out of all their very well chewed bones1!!

how do those baby teeth do it I wonder???

we have always had a house full of dogs but never puppies! we always took in older dogs because we knew puppies were more easily adoptable and it just was a better idea since I was barely able to house break kids!

so far they have done perfectly well on
sardines ..(Phoebe shreds them then Lister goes and eats hers so we give her chicken instead and save the sardines for Lister)
chicken 1/4s
turkey necks
chicken feet (lister holds them down now they are like pretzels)
liver (blech)
meaty goat bones and trim
meaty lamb bones and trim
meaty beef bones and trim
eggs
carrots
peas
more carrots
more peas
corn
blackberries (they pick them off the vines ..carefully)
plums
necterines
blueberries
(whatever we have I just toss them some as I am cutting it up they get about 1/2 cup each of veggies/fruits a day)
they have been eating whatever falls out of the birdcage including the chiles I hope they do not get sick...

I appreciate the space to savoring each and every puppy moment right now in public! ! tons of work but lots fo fun!

anyone want to tell me how are your puppies eating? please share!
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » August 5th, 2008, 12:34 am

You mean puppies as in... actual puppies? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvypitbulls » August 5th, 2008, 8:35 am

amazincc wrote:You mean puppies as in... actual puppies? :wink:

well for me any dog up to the age of 16 is my puppy :) (I had one weimeraner live that long)

but this is the first time I have had dogs start with me younger than the age of 1year old

I want to make sure they get everything they need and I dont want any vagina bellies!

I dont anticipate these dogs to fully mature until 2 years old
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » August 6th, 2008, 8:52 am

we over did the fruits and veggies a little so far this week already between the butt trumpet and the diarrhea I think we learned our lesson ..just because he loves it does not mean it loves him!!! :o

Phoebe on the other hand seems unaffected by any food she eats she does very well on everything ..she is older however ...a garbage gut and half lab!!!!
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvypitbulls » August 10th, 2008, 8:04 pm

corn? well if you ask me from now on ..how about "NO"

I gave Lister I piece of my corn on the cob at lunch today while Phoebe was at puppy class with my husband...

I was warned that it could cause an obstuction ...OH CRAP! I thought "argh why did I give him that?"

well because it was one of those things I always handed dogs with out thinking this time of year

then I was warned about it causing diarrhea .."OH GREAT my rugs arrrrggghhh!!!" (he never had accidents unless he has the runs from something he has eaten ...

no one warned me it could cause a just bathed sweet smellling Lister dog to puke corn all over my freshly washed bedding..oh yeah he did!!! hopped right up there and before I could catch him a couple of good heaves and..well you know the rest ..no worries about obstruction or diarrhea now ..it ALL came out on my fresh sheets and blankets !

blech...

Lesson learned ..no more corn on the cob for dogs in this house that was flat out gross
luvypitbulls
Snot Nose Bully Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Raw Feeding