raw questions

Postby sundaysbe5t » September 17th, 2008, 5:13 pm

I am new to the raw food and ive been giving my 7 month old red nose a variety of bones,ground meats, and veggies. i figured out that he hates frozen meat but twice in a row i had to gag him because he was choking on bones and it would have gotten seroius if i didnt step in. what should i do? also im not sure how much food i should give him a day since he is a growing boy. im thinking of 2 pounds of food a day but not sure anyone have suggestions?

thanks,

nikkie
sundaysbe5t
Just Whelped

sundaysbe5t
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » September 17th, 2008, 5:15 pm

What kinds of bones is he getting?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby sundaysbe5t » September 18th, 2008, 10:57 am

a bunch of different kinds of beef bones, lamb bones, turkey necks, chicken wings, pig feet...
sundaysbe5t
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » September 18th, 2008, 11:23 am

I would back up a bit in your variety of bones and first teach him how to properly chew them.

Buy chicken quarters and you hold onto one end while he eats (obviously until he gets up to your hand lol ). At first he may just sit there for a few minutes, holding his end, waiting for you to let go, but just wait him out. Do this for a while until you're sure that he's learned that he has to eat slowly and CHEW his food.

There are some bones that you may find you can't feed your dog because he will inhale them: like rib bones and some of the smaller bones in pig's feet.

Also with the turkey necks because of all of the casing around the bone if the dog doesn't chew it properly then it will go down in big hunks, which can cause a problem.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby nicole » September 18th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Normally you feed about 2-3% of their adult body weight, so you are probably feeding too much at 2lbs. My male is 82lbs and he only gets a little over 1.6lbs per day, it also depends on their activity level. My female is less active, at 60lbs so she gets under 1lb a day.

I agree with Sis. I'd stick with chicken bones till he's got the whole chewing thing down. Holding it for him and guiding him by placing it near the back molars and letting him gnaw at it will give him the gist of what he's supposed to do.

Are you sure he was choking though? Dogs don't really chew the way we do. They basically just break up the food until it can fit down their throat! Originally, my male would hack up his meal and re-chew if he didn't get it 'right' the first time. Also, you can feed larger portions so he has no choice but to chew, like a half of a chicken.

Its really about watching and knowing your dogs. Mine don't get any kind of beef bone that they can swallow b/c they are denser than other bones and I'm just not comfortable with it. I do feed beef, just not the bones so much. My one dog will just chew the meat off ribs and occassionally chew off the tips, but my other will try to eat it whole!
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Raw Feeding